60m long pier to be at the festival

Sawdusty surfer

On 3/28/2019 at 6:06 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

3cb08633-34a0-404b-93e6-df2c28c922c3-IMG

Looks from that like it's going to come off the path that runs up the left side of the Park area.

"The Pier is most definitely the biggest project Rush has ever realized at Glastonbury. "It's absolutely massive. It's 60 meters long, it weighs 160 tons. It's a proper pier. It's got 1,400 planks to make the deck. I'm also having to find all the things that happen on the pier including the Punch and Judy show, the fortune tellers and pinball tables."

One part of the pier is called Automaton, which consists of automated robots and creatures and mechanical machines, and even a robot band that's going to be playing. 

"And it's not just a pier, it's also sea front. It's called Glastonbury-on-Sea, so we're actually building a sea front and a pier," Rush explained."

More here: https://www.pollstar.com/article/glastonbury-on-sea-festival-gets-victorian-pier-and-sea-front-137634

Classic pier attractions sounds a little tacky

5 hours ago, Harry49 said:

Not sure why but this new installation leaves me cold! Will no doubt change my mind on seeing it but probably due to my lack of creativity it just feels like an odd addition to the Park.

it will work :) especially if penards floods again ... wonder if thats why it got sited there :) 

6 hours ago, R95wilson said:

Classic pier attractions sounds a little tacky

Gypsy Lee the fortune teller? Or what about a birdman competition like Bognor pier? Could be a hard landing though unless it pisses down the week before.

5 minutes ago, Mark Doran said:

I'm one of the crew at the Lost Horizon Sauna nearby in the Tipi Field. I wonder if we'll be overlooked by the pier and if we'll need additional screening. (This is the stuff of saucy seaside postcards!)

Aren't you further over, away from the Park, and towards the green fields? If any screening is needed, it should just be one side.

43 minutes ago, Mark Doran said:

I'm one of the crew at the Lost Horizon Sauna nearby in the Tipi Field. I wonder if we'll be overlooked by the pier and if we'll need additional screening. (This is the stuff of saucy seaside postcards!)

I'm pretty sure you're quite a bit further up the hill from the Pier, with a lot of Tipis in between. Unless this thing is far taller than the pictures suggest I doubt they'll even be able to see much of your fence let alone over it.

21 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

I don't trust it structurally!

I'm a structural engineer.
They look like 305x165x40 UKB steel beams with lots of lateral restraints at approx 450mm centres with 10mm fillet welds.
Course it is gonna being taking a lot of people on top of it all day everyday, but its going nowhere.
Its gonna be fine. 

Edit: Oh and the bolt holes look like M20 size. Its gonna be rigid as hell. 

Edited by Diva Sam
  • Upvote 2

I wonder if there will a new camping field/area this year. The pier seems to be taking quite a chunk of camping space from Pennards. There isn't much space left to camp as it is (speaking as a Thursday afternoon arriver!) so it's going to be an even tighter squeeze this year unless there is increased capacity somewhere else? I can't see any more space on the map. I wonder if they have a field not used which they can open up if it gets too full? No idea where that could be though, the space looks pretty much used

10 minutes ago, dingbat2 said:

I wonder if there will a new camping field/area this year. The pier seems to be taking quite a chunk of camping space from Pennards. There isn't much space left to camp as it is (speaking as a Thursday afternoon arriver!) so it's going to be an even tighter squeeze this year unless there is increased capacity somewhere else? I can't see any more space on the map. I wonder if they have a field not used which they can open up if it gets too full? No idea where that could be though, the space looks pretty much used

Looks like it’s the exact spot where Camplight was, wonder how many displaced Pennards people will be joining the early morning queue. 

Charm x 

54 minutes ago, Diva Sam said:

I'm a structural engineer.
They look like 305x165x40 UKB steel beams with lots of lateral restraints at approx 450mm centres with 10mm fillet welds.
Course it is gonna being taking a lot of people on top of it all day everyday, but its going nowhere.
Its gonna be fine. 

Edit: Oh and the bolt holes look like M20 size. Its gonna be rigid as hell. 

What about if the ground turns to mud?! 

50 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

now you are going to tell us you dont trust structural engineers either :) 

Correct! ?

It brings back memories of trying to construct a model bridge at school out of paper and glue, only to see it collapse like a deck of cards when I put the weight on! 

Edited by Mr.Tease

Of all the installations I have ever seen at the festival this looks the most pointless. I really don't get it. It doesn't add anything. A pier into Pennards eating valuable camping space to give you a view of people having a shit and naked trampolining.