Your favourite non-pyramid headliner?

Heartbreaker

my top 5 are shared with a lot of people on here. 

1. Chemical Bros 2015 (Closed my first glastonbury, was best atmosphere ever)
2. Justice 2017 (that light show and west holts crowd was insane)
3. Sigur Ros 2016 (mesmerizing, stood in awe the whole time)
4. James Blake 2016 (great set featuring awesome guests)
5. LCD Sounsystem 2016 (woulda been slightly better, but muddy fest and missing must sees that day had us all a bit down. still great)

1. John Fogerty, JazzWorld, 2007. Not technically the headliner as Rodrigo Y Gabriella played a short set after him for some bizarre reason, but sod that I'm counting it regardless - apparently he was added really late in the booking process and that was the only slot free by then, otherwise I'm pretty sure he'd have been much higher on the bill. Fantastic show and a great way to forget
2. Pet Shop Boys, Other, 2010. Everything just came together - they clearly loved the reception they were getting, the set list was just about perfect for me.
3. Jimmy Cliff - Jazzworld, 2008. I'm ashamed to say I didn't think I'd actually heard of him. I was just wandering through the field on the way to somewhere else when he started up - "Oh, I know this one, I'll stay for it". Repeat for just about every song throughout the set. Somewhere else got quickly forgotten.
4. Billy Bragg. Leftfield, 2016. I'd had him on my "might see" list every year and never got round to it - to the extent that I actually didn't bother to list him in 2016. But after feeling like I'd personally been kicked in the balls by 17 million people all day, I needed something to charge me up and fucking hell did he deliver that night. Never seen an atmosphere like that before and don't think I ever will again. Now he's on my must see list every single time.
5. Bill Bailey, Dance and Fire Stage, 2004. Watched this instead of Muse, and don't regret it for a bit. For those who don't know, the D+F Stage was a very ramshackle construction located approximately where the Astrolabe is now. I don't think there was even a roof on the stage and it made for a pretty surreal (and great) atmosphere - kind of felt like all of the outcasts on site had gathered together.

53 minutes ago, incident said:

4. Billy Bragg. Leftfield, 2016. I'd had him on my "might see" list every year and never got round to it - to the extent that I actually didn't bother to list him in 2016. But after feeling like I'd personally been kicked in the balls by 17 million people all day, I needed something to charge me up and fucking hell did he deliver that night. Never seen an atmosphere like that before and don't think I ever will again. Now he's on my must see list every single time.

Didn't put this one earlier as Leftfield never feels like a headliner as it finishes early. This gig was amazing.

• Upvote 1

Headliners is the one thing that i've been let down by at Glastonbury. I normally get all the ones I want to see clashing on one day and then struggle to choose anything for the other days. Or in 2017 I literally had two nights where I didn't have a headliner at all so I went to the Rabbit Hole/ Piano Bar.

2015 - Hot Chip (Plus The Who and Kanye)

2016 - Disclosure, New Order, Earth Wind and Fire

2017 - Alt-J (Although London Grammar blew me away as sub-headliners on the sunday)

I'd say the best was Earth Wind and Fire, but hopefully this year will be an improvement on that!

The best ive seen in person at the festival, George Clinton with P-Funk and Sly and Family Stone 2015 was insane, I can only imagine what it was like to see them in their prime, inbetween the songs they just jammed the music didn't stop was a night and a half. 

The best headliner that I've only seen on video probably Muse 2004, kinda a shame what happened to them. 

23 hours ago, kemosabe said:

I'd say the best was Earth Wind and Fire, but hopefully this year will be an improvement on that!

This is a close 2nd for me, Earth Wind and Fire where amazing too, I'd been wanting to see P-Funk for awhile so they just take the lead. 

The Gary Clark Jr set before the was absolutely amazing too, was a great day for music. 

Edited by Xeph1995
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Display-Name said:

Wow, this thread has made me realise that having done 6 Glastonbury's I've never once seen a non-Pyramid headliner. Providing the Chems are Sunday this year that will be soon to change!

I would think you will be in the minority on here to see Stormzy over Tame Impala this year!

1 minute ago, CJTM said:

I would think you will be in the minority on here to see Stormzy over Tame Impala this year!

Not really into either tbh so likely will end up somewhere else completely, probably not music related, as I have done before when the headliners haven't interested me.

I personally really enjoyed Enter Shikari headline JP in 2015. Were my first proper gig I went to back in 2007 so was a lot of fun moshing out to Sorry You're Not A Winner. They were so good I also saw their Leftfield headline slot the day after.
Also enjoyed Flying Lotus on West Holts that year. Hardly anyone in the crowd made for a surprisingly intimate and quite psychedelic set.
Disclosure West Holts in 2014 was super fun as well. Year or two before their sophomore slump.