Arcadia?

Stubbsy55

3 hours ago, sildante said:

Calvin Harris on Arcadia is quite a mad one for his first time at the festival - he's arguably the biggest artist on the entire Glastonbury line up in some metrics bar Paul, with 14+ UK no. 1s.

Regarding his set, I'd wager a guess that he'll take advantage of the context and play a bit more towards his house / techno influenced side he's been punting with Love Regenerator - less of a full on brutal EDM set he plays in Vegas like posted above and more like his lockdown streams, which featured tunes from the likes of Floorplan, Trance Wax and FJAAK. Probably still get some of his hits as remixes as well as some of the Love Regenerator productions, which are still very much on the pop side of house music but harmless stuff. 

The Love Regenerator launch was dampened a bit by lockdown and I reckon he'll now be merging the names for (UK) festival sets like this so he can do a bit of both. He was rumoured to be playing Glasgow's Riverside Festival b2b with Skream back in 2020 along with this original Arcadia booking, so reckon these were booked in a similar vein. If he wanted to make a bag and play the same stuff he plays out in a typical set he'd be headlining the Other Stage.

If anyone hasn't seen, worth having a watch/listen of his interview with Annie Mac back from when he announced the Love Regenerator alias - pretty interesting and funny chat about him making music he actually likes, and the negative connotations of the 'Calvin Harris' name.

Really astute analysis here overall. Knowing a few of the ins and outs, you’ve got your guesswork spot on. 

Warming up to catching him now. Hope it doesn’t clash with Macca / the best night at Block9.

4 minutes ago, Ddiamondd said:

Really astute analysis here overall. Knowing a few of the ins and outs, you’ve got your guesswork spot on. 

Warming up to catching him now. Hope it doesn’t clash with Macca / the best night at Block9.

Surely he'll be post-headliners, won't he? As people have said, it's a MASSIVE booking and so wouldn't he want to play when everyone 'could' go see him?

Ben

Just now, bennyhana22 said:

Surely he'll be post-headliners, won't he? As people have said, it's a MASSIVE booking and so wouldn't he want to play when everyone 'could' go see him?

Ben

Surely he'll have to clash with the headliners otherwise the field will be far too full???

3 hours ago, sildante said:

Calvin Harris on Arcadia is quite a mad one for his first time at the festival - he's arguably the biggest artist on the entire Glastonbury line up in some metrics bar Paul, with 14+ UK no. 1s.

Regarding his set, I'd wager a guess that he'll take advantage of the context and play a bit more towards his house / techno influenced side he's been punting with Love Regenerator - less of a full on brutal EDM set he plays in Vegas like posted above and more like his lockdown streams, which featured tunes from the likes of Floorplan, Trance Wax and FJAAK. Probably still get some of his hits as remixes as well as some of the Love Regenerator productions, which are still very much on the pop side of house music but harmless stuff. 

The Love Regenerator launch was dampened a bit by lockdown and I reckon he'll now be merging the names for (UK) festival sets like this so he can do a bit of both. He was rumoured to be playing Glasgow's Riverside Festival b2b with Skream back in 2020 along with this original Arcadia booking, so reckon these were booked in a similar vein. If he wanted to make a bag and play the same stuff he plays out in a typical set he'd be headlining the Other Stage.

If anyone hasn't seen, worth having a watch/listen of his interview with Annie Mac back from when he announced the Love Regenerator alias - pretty interesting and funny chat about him making music he actually likes, and the negative connotations of the 'Calvin Harris' name.

Calvin Harris has performed before

1 minute ago, Btyler said:

Surely he'll have to clash with the headliners otherwise the field will be far too full???

You're probably right. What is the capacity? Notwithstanding the fact that if you're more than half way away (I'm being generous as I've pretty much only ever been as good as under the belly!) the sound and experience is not great - just too much chatter. 

Ben

2 hours ago, gfa said:

say chemical brothers are the special guests, when would they actually get confirmed if at all? Arcadia schedule or like literally on the day / if leaked

bump? 🙂 

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

Re: Calvin Harris

Have a feeling that for the EDC set posted earlier, he may have been playing to that kind of crowd/event?

Found this set from 2019, where he only played his own stuff 

Could see him doing something a bit like that, with some added Love Regenerator bits in there at Arcadia.

Would expect him to know the nuances between playing a set at EDC Mexico and a set at Glasto. 

This wouldn't work on Arcadia in my opinion. If he was on the other stage i could see him doing all his own sets including stuff from his new album that's due to be released. Defo think hes just going to do music he likes and more of the love regenerator stuff with some of his mixed popular songs thrown in

1 minute ago, AshwaGandhi said:

I really can’t understand why people are hyped for Calvin Harris

Going to backtrack on that statement. I can understand why people are excited, I just can’t get excited for his music. Least appealing thing on Arcadia for me which is good I guess!

5 hours ago, bennyhana22 said:

If it helps, his 90 minute set on the Spider in 2017 remains one of the best sets of techno I've ever seen. It was, frankly, perfect. And the fact that it was on at headliner time, meaning that those who were there had really chosen it over lots of other options, meant that the crowd vibe was off the scale. He commented afterwards that it was one of his favourite ever sets to play. I'm even slightly nervous about him playing this year as I would almost inevitably make comparisons!

Ben

That day was he playing others stuff or his own?

16 minutes ago, AshwaGandhi said:

Going to backtrack on that statement. I can understand why people are excited, I just can’t get excited for his music. Least appealing thing on Arcadia for me which is good I guess!

i get where you're coming from, but i don't think he'll make any mistake of throwing out the wrong vibe, i'm 99% sure he understands the assignment. otherwise you'd just book Camelphat imo if you were going purely for a big commercial name that kinda fits the spider vibe these days. I'm almost disappointed it isn't booked as love regenerator but it might give him some freedom to do whatever he fancies

24 minutes ago, Obiginnaw said:

i get where you're coming from, but i don't think he'll make any mistake of throwing out the wrong vibe, i'm 99% sure he understands the assignment. otherwise you'd just book Camelphat imo if you were going purely for a big commercial name that kinda fits the spider vibe these days. I'm almost disappointed it isn't booked as love regenerator but it might give him some freedom to do whatever he fancies

Yep couldn’t agree more with your point

32 minutes ago, Tremas said:

I'm hoping he's on post-headliner to draw the crowds away from block 9 so I actually stand a chance of getting in the NYC Downlow.

I queued for 3 hours on Saturday night in 2017, missed midland who we wanted to see but got in eventually and had the best night. Sounds like a waste of time but I have no regrets.

16 minutes ago, AshwaGandhi said:

I queued for 3 hours on Saturday night in 2017, missed midland who we wanted to see but got in eventually and had the best night. Sounds like a waste of time but I have no regrets.

I totally respect such dedication, but I just couldn't bear to spend that much of a night not dancing. Have had a great time in NYCD/Meat Rack on the Wednesday which scratched a nice itch and then i didn't feel that I 'had' to queue on another night. Luckily for me, it's not really my scene musically, even if the vibe in there is spectacular. 

I have sprinted to the Temple before to make sure I got in, mind! 

Ben

3 hours ago, Acid Loafers said:

Re: Calvin Harris

Have a feeling that for the EDC set posted earlier, he may have been playing to that kind of crowd/event?

Would expect him to know the nuances between playing a set at EDC Mexico and a set at Glasto.

100%, he plays a different set to these EDC/Vegas type crowds and he mentions this in the interview I linked in my previous post. Saying that I don't think it will be like that Summertime Ball set either, more like his lockdown streams with a few remixes of his own tunes sprinkled in.

2 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

He played years ago before he was a megastar, when he was still singing his own material in his gigs, before he decided to focus on DJing.

1 hour ago, waynewdk said:

Calvin Harris has performed before

Ah I didn't know that, I was just going on Arcadia's comment below that it was his first time playing which I did find surprising - they must be meaning his first time as a DJ. I first saw him play live around the same time as that in between I Created Disco and his sophomore album when he was still singing, definitely wasn't as bad as he makes out.

image.thumb.jpeg.f135c6f4148b36e82dec3a133031da53.jpeg

Just now, sildante said:

100%, he plays a different set to these EDC/Vegas type crowds and he mentions this in the interview I linked in my previous post. Saying that I don't think it will be like that Summertime Ball set either, more like his lockdown streams with a few remixes of his own tunes sprinkled in.

Ah I didn't know that, I was just going on Arcadia's comment below that it was his first time playing which I did find surprising - they must be meaning his first time as a DJ. I first saw him play live around the same time as that in between I Created Disco and his sophomore album when he was still singing, definitely wasn't as bad as he makes out.

image.thumb.jpeg.f135c6f4148b36e82dec3a133031da53.jpeg

There's a sense that this Calvin Harris hasn't played before. He gave his career a very hard reboot.

39 minutes ago, bennyhana22 said:

I totally respect such dedication, but I just couldn't bear to spend that much of a night not dancing. Have had a great time in NYCD/Meat Rack on the Wednesday which scratched a nice itch and then i didn't feel that I 'had' to queue on another night. Luckily for me, it's not really my scene musically, even if the vibe in there is spectacular. 

I have sprinted to the Temple before to make sure I got in, mind! 

Ben

As a gay™️, I need at least one good main night inside the NYC Downlow each year. In 2019 only managed to get in on the Thursday, but I'm probably going to try and get the moustaches early each day so I can at least join that queue instead of the moustache less-one after the headliners finish.

• Like 1

I kind of get why people are no warming to the idea of seeing him I just can’t see myself there.

Too much of a risk it’s absolutely dead EDM style set.

im also scarred from seeing him support Swedish House Mafia in 2013 (I was 17 don’t judge) and we didn’t realise he’d played after Snoop Dogg, we thought it was just a playlist someone had stuck on between acts.

Edited by MaxPower

9 hours ago, MaxPower said:

Too much of a risk it’s absolutely dead EDM style set.

36 minutes ago, fatyeti24 said:

Yeah, Harris' crimes are too great. He hasn't served penance enough. Its too soon. 

I look forward to hearing all about it but for me, the good point about this booking is that he'll be creating a roadblock around the Arcadia field leaving routes to Block 9 and The Common nice and clear.  Might even be able to walk in to a decent space in The Temple.

• Upvote 1