Arcadia?

Stubbsy55

13 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

I assume one of his own, because I just just asked Alexa to bang something on. It was very soundscapey and chilled. Will his Arcadia set be way different?

Yeah his Arcadia set will be a DJ set of mostly other peoples bangers rather than the slow burning ambient-esque stuff from his own albums. Can’t see most of that going down particularly well with a crowd thirsty to fist pump and chew their jaws off. 

13 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Yeah his Arcadia set will be a DJ set of mostly other peoples bangers rather than the slow burning ambient-esque stuff from his own albums. Can’t see most of that going down particularly well with a crowd thirsty to fist pump and chew their jaws off. 

Yeah, now you mention it that was a silly thing for me to assume 😂

47 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

I assume one of his own, because I just just asked Alexa to bang something on. It was very soundscapey and chilled. Will his Arcadia set be way different?

If it helps, his 90 minute set on the Spider in 2017 remains one of the best sets of techno I've ever seen. It was, frankly, perfect. And the fact that it was on at headliner time, meaning that those who were there had really chosen it over lots of other options, meant that the crowd vibe was off the scale. He commented afterwards that it was one of his favourite ever sets to play. I'm even slightly nervous about him playing this year as I would almost inevitably make comparisons!

Ben

16 minutes ago, BluePaul said:

His performance at West Holts last time out was a thing of rare beauty.

I messed that one up royally. 

Went a bit too hard shall we say, left the set very early on to go to the toilet and woke up in my tent three hours later. 

Then headed out to Charlotte De Witte on Pangea and tried to recover my night. 

14 hours ago, Brumbot said:

I'm wondering what kind of vibe Calvin Harris will have? I'm a big fan of his older stuff, but I just searched a recent gig on Youtube... and I'll be giving anything like this a miss!

Agreed, that does sound absolutely terrible.

Calvin Harris on Arcadia is quite a mad one for his first time at the festival - he's arguably the biggest artist on the entire Glastonbury line up in some metrics bar Paul, with 14+ UK no. 1s.

Regarding his set, I'd wager a guess that he'll take advantage of the context and play a bit more towards his house / techno influenced side he's been punting with Love Regenerator - less of a full on brutal EDM set he plays in Vegas like posted above and more like his lockdown streams, which featured tunes from the likes of Floorplan, Trance Wax and FJAAK. Probably still get some of his hits as remixes as well as some of the Love Regenerator productions, which are still very much on the pop side of house music but harmless stuff. 

The Love Regenerator launch was dampened a bit by lockdown and I reckon he'll now be merging the names for (UK) festival sets like this so he can do a bit of both. He was rumoured to be playing Glasgow's Riverside Festival b2b with Skream back in 2020 along with this original Arcadia booking, so reckon these were booked in a similar vein. If he wanted to make a bag and play the same stuff he plays out in a typical set he'd be headlining the Other Stage.

If anyone hasn't seen, worth having a watch/listen of his interview with Annie Mac back from when he announced the Love Regenerator alias - pretty interesting and funny chat about him making music he actually likes, and the negative connotations of the 'Calvin Harris' name.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Wanderlei said:

Will have a look for it on YouTube. Cheers.

☺️

West Holts was incredible and the album Singularity is a thing of beauty.

Unfortunately, you won't find it on YouTube but look at the audio rip I just conveniently found for you... 👀

Edited by TheDayman

Re: Calvin Harris

Have a feeling that for the EDC set posted earlier, he may have been playing to that kind of crowd/event?

Found this set from 2019, where he only played his own stuff 

Could see him doing something a bit like that, with some added Love Regenerator bits in there at Arcadia.

Would expect him to know the nuances between playing a set at EDC Mexico and a set at Glasto. 

20 minutes ago, Acid Loafers said:

Have a feeling that for the EDC set posted earlier, he may have been playing to that kind of crowd/event?

Could see him doing something a bit like that, with some added Love Regenerator bits in there at Arcadia.

Would expect him to know the nuances between playing a set at EDC Mexico and a set at Glasto. 

There's no way it will be like a summertime ball performance. Even if Glastonbury isn't a dance festival like Creamfields, EDC etc - its not a festival for teenagers that listen to capital fm either. Arcadia is a proper dance stage, if it was on Other i'd lean more towards this style of performance.

2 hours ago, sildante said:

Calvin Harris on Arcadia is quite a mad one for his first time at the festival - he's arguably the biggest artist on the entire Glastonbury line up in some metrics bar Paul, with 14+ UK no. 1s.

Regarding his set, I'd wager a guess that he'll take advantage of the context and play a bit more towards his house / techno influenced side he's been punting with Love Regenerator - less of a full on brutal EDM set he plays in Vegas like posted above and more like his lockdown streams, which featured tunes from the likes of Floorplan, Trance Wax and FJAAK. Probably still get some of his hits as remixes as well as some of the Love Regenerator productions, which are still very much on the pop side of house music but harmless stuff. 

The Love Regenerator launch was dampened a bit by lockdown and I reckon he'll now be merging the names for (UK) festival sets like this so he can do a bit of both. He was rumoured to be playing Glasgow's Riverside Festival b2b with Skream back in 2020 along with this original Arcadia booking, so reckon these were booked in a similar vein. If he wanted to make a bag and play the same stuff he plays out in a typical set he'd be headlining the Other Stage.

If anyone hasn't seen, worth having a watch/listen of his interview with Annie Mac back from when he announced the Love Regenerator alias - pretty interesting and funny chat about him making music he actually likes, and the negative connotations of the 'Calvin Harris' name.

He played years ago before he was a megastar, when he was still singing his own material in his gigs, before he decided to focus on DJing.

Other than a clash with Macca - Please no. Calvin Harris is a must see for me. He was playing at Cream Amnesia in Ibiza when we went about 10 years ago, but the room was absolutely rammo and someone decent (cant remember who) was in the other room so we sacked it off. I reckon his set will be love regenerator style with only a few dancier remixes of his main stream EDM pop stuff. He is a prper dance head, he just found a commercial formula that worked for him and then milked it - he knows his stuff and will know the crowd. I reckon it could be one of those Glasto moments. 

1 hour ago, Acid Loafers said:

Fuck me there is lot of woo - woo ing in the crowd there. I know @bennyhana22 is keen to keep the thread positive, but i am sure he wont mind if we just all agree that its perfectly reasonable to bash in anyones head if they start woo - woo ing. 

13 minutes ago, SouthbanKen said:

Fuck me there is lot of woo - woo ing in the crowd there. I know @bennyhana22 is keen to keep the thread positive, but i am sure he wont mind if we just all agree that its perfectly reasonable to bash in anyones head if they start woo - woo ing. 

as much as i agree, at least it's not "whoop there it is"