Arcadia?

Stubbsy55

39 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Sorry chief, just to be clear it was the "and Russians any positive profile" comment that I felt was xenophobic, not your own (and even that one I think was probably emotionally charged too).

I get you though, and agree. As a rule I try not to take my steer from social media but digging deeper did give me further insight into Nina's political position which isn't in line with mine. If she gets dropped, I believe it'll be the right choice.

My problem is with the state, not it's people and Nina appears to be pro-state, which gave me the context I needed.

Yes same here. There are Russian colleagues that I would open up my home to just as much as I would some of my Ukrainian ones. They are lovely people and are victims in this as well. They are also kind enough to recognise that. Any time I ask any of them are they doing ok they will straight away say oh what we are going through is nothing in comparison to our Ukrainian friends. They have worked long hours to cover for Ukrainian colleagues who have had to leave home and find safer places to live. 

12 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

This is an important point. I'm sure we all know people who have been tricked into thinking Brexit is a good idea or that vaccines are bad and that's coming from places with relatively free media. The Russian state has complete control of their media, it's easy to see how Russian's are pro Putin and pro war because of this.

If Nina Kraviz is actually pro Putin and pro war then maybe it's better she goes to events like Glastonbury and meets people with different view points and maybe that will change her mind. Rather than shunning her and other Russian artists which might lead to them doubling down on their beliefs 

A bit like Brexit (which as we are closer to standing has actually been part of an information war from Russia for many years!) but I do have less sympathy with people who travel the world and speak to people widely who choose to believe the propaganda. I have no problem with her attending the festival. I have a problem with her being paid to attend the festival. 

46 minutes ago, Heather90 said:

Every time I see this mentioned I just keep thinking I hope they like this sort of thing. I can't imagine the stress they have been under. Add to that 220k people moving in for a week when you just got settled in a new,  safer home with all the noise that comes with (arcadia explosions etc.). It may not exactly be ideal. I hope they have the option for them to take a little trip to the seaside if preferred. 

On the other hand if they end up loving it I'd love to hear a little of what they get up to, epecially if there are kids. Obviously protecting their privacy but maybe an article with things like "our new little neighbous enjoyed hunting for the dragon, getting their face painted and playing on the pirate ship this weekend" and "mum was able to let her hair down for a brief moment and enjoyed having a dance to Diana Ross". It can be a good way to highlight how others can welcome refugees into their community. 

I believe Emily has been having video calls with her almost daily so I suspect that they have been matched as someone who would be happy to live in this environment. 

8 minutes ago, Florian Saucer Attack said:

This is an important point. I'm sure we all know people who have been tricked into thinking Brexit is a good idea or that vaccines are bad and that's coming from places with relatively free media. The Russian state has complete control of their media, it's easy to see how Russian's are pro Putin and pro war because of this.

If Nina Kraviz is actually pro Putin and pro war then maybe it's better she goes to events like Glastonbury and meets people with different view points and maybe that will change her mind. Rather than shunning her and other Russian artists which might lead to them doubling down on their beliefs 

Revolutionary! How sad that the idea of inviting someone with opposing views to be included in conversation / a cultural experience in the hope it may inspire a change of thinking, rather than excluding them, has become such a leftfield practice. 

Being inclusive and approaching people with an open mind and compassion is so much more beneficial than shutting down those you disagree with. Find common ground and then educate. 

Without intending to be a dick (but if I am I'll take that hit) can this be picked up in the Glasto Politics thread in the other part of the forum please?  Obviously an important topic and one to discuss, but after 2 years of hell in a handcart we've finally got an actual festival to look forward to and the whole forum has become far more enjoyable as a result.

Personally, and maybe selfishly (again, don't care if it is), it's nice not to have to avoid entire threads due to the risk of walking into yet another argument.

Rant ends.

Edited by Quark
Added a please. Always aim to be polite kids.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 10

5 minutes ago, Quark said:

Without intending to be a dick (but if I am I'll take that hit) can this be picked up in the Glasto Politics thread in the other part of the forum?  Obviously an important topic and one to discuss, but after 2 years of hell in a handcart we've finally got an actual festival to look forward to and the whole forum has become far more enjoyable as a result.

Personally, and maybe selfishly (again, don't care if it is), it's nice not to have to avoid entire threads due to the risk of walking into yet another argument.

Rant ends.

Fair enough. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Joshuwarr said:

Am I the only one who much preferred the 2019 set up? Obviously great that the spider is such a crowd pleaser so if you're all happy then I'm happy too 😉 

I never actually made it over to Pangea in 2019 (just didn't end that way) but I would have liked to see what they were going to do with as it developed and got tweaked every year.

I'm happy to see the spider back as it is undoubtedly cool, but I do like the constant development of new things.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Quark said:

Without intending to be a dick (but if I am I'll take that hit) can this be picked up in the Glasto Politics thread in the other part of the forum please?  Obviously an important topic and one to discuss, but after 2 years of hell in a handcart we've finally got an actual festival to look forward to and the whole forum has become far more enjoyable as a result.

Rant ends.

Well, I think I agree with this more than ever now 😂

Edited by TheDayman

35 minutes ago, Quark said:

Rant ends.

It's very relevant to the upcoming festival though, so Discussion forum maybe not the best place. 

I made a thread - let's leave this one for Arcadia chat.

So turns out I'm a big fan of Amelie Lens from recent soundcloud mixes I've listened to. Would be a big shame not to see her on the farm but take it she's being held back as a special guest?

On a slightly related note, could someone suggest more artists like her. Really enjoy that heavy techno vibe. Feels almost claustrophobic in a way and for some reason I enjoy that.

2 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

So turns out I'm a big fan of Amelie Lens from recent soundcloud mixes I've listened to. Would be a big shame not to see her on the farm but take it she's being held back as a special guest?

On a slightly related note, could someone suggest more artists like her. Really enjoy that heavy techno vibe. Feels almost claustrophobic in a way and for some reason I enjoy that.

The patrons of the Electronic Music thread will have you covered!  Rumour has it that if you say "techno" into a mirror three times then @bennyhana22 appears behind you and drags you to the SE Corner

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Quark said:

The patrons of the Electronic Music thread will have you covered!  Rumour has it that if you say "techno" into a mirror three times then @bennyhana22 appears behind you and drags you to the SE Corner

That's absolute rubbish. Don't be ridiculous. 

Ben

you have to say it five times. 

• Like 1