Arcadia?

Stubbsy55

13 hours ago, DareToDibble said:

That Calvin Harris set is going to be unbelievably busy isn’t it?

Announcing it way in advance of the festival, yup.

Pretty mad they’ve managed to secure this booking tbh. He must be taking a hell of a pay cut.

2 hours ago, Radiochicken said:

It might feel good at the surface level, but removing artists like this (see: Wimbledon also) doesn’t help Ukraine in the slightest - not even indirectly. It affects the war by zilch. Thousands of other things we can do to help Ukraine.

Worked for South Africa. It is part of a full sanctions programme which impacts in its entirety. 

18 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

It’s pretty much the most common viewpoint held worldwide. The planet is doing everything it can to isolate Russia, including the ‘cancellation’ of high profile artists. Try getting a ticket for a Russian ballet. 
I find some views on here very strange. 

Yes I personally am quite surprised to see an artist with Pro-Putin views being given money by the festival at this moment in time. The sanctions in place are hurting lots of ordinary Russians who don't support him so the least we can do is extend those sanctions to those that do. 

12 minutes ago, Winslow Leach said:

When someone gave you a comparable situation from recent history you told them to grow up...

False equivalents. Just what the Ukrainians need. And yes I do understand that South Africa was not an equivalent in war terms; my point was about cultural and sporting sanctions, which did have an impact. 

52 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Announcing it way in advance of the festival, yup.

Pretty mad they’ve managed to secure this booking tbh. He must be taking a hell of a pay cut.

There's either a special deal with glasto for that booking, or he's doing it for the lols, cos the Arcadia crew normally pay very little. My cousin said playing on the spider was both absolutely mental, but also technically really difficult due to tons of vibrations and wobbles etc. I imagine they've improved the stiffness of the DJ cradle over the years, but it's still just a basket dangling in the air.

7 minutes ago, Joshuwarr said:

Am I the only one who much preferred the 2019 set up? Obviously great that the spider is such a crowd pleaser so if you're all happy then I'm happy too 😉 

My main issue with the crane was that you cant see through it. The spider sits ON the crowd, it's such a unique setup. The crane is effectively a small circular stage with some fun stuff bolted on. With the spider, you can see all the way through and under to people all around and you get a more connected feeling in the field. With the crane, you're in your pizza slice of the field and you dont know whats going on on the other side.

23 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

It’s pretty much the most common viewpoint held worldwide. The planet is doing everything it can to isolate Russia, including the ‘cancellation’ of high profile artists. Try getting a ticket for a Russian ballet. 
I find some views on here very strange. 

2 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Yes I personally am quite surprised to see an artist with Pro-Putin views being given money by the festival at this moment in time. The sanctions in place are hurting lots of ordinary Russians who don't support him so the least we can do is extend those sanctions to those that do. 

No, there's a big difference between being anti-Putin, anti-Russian state and anti-Russian people, the latter of which is outright xenophobia.

I don't think there's anyone here that supports Putin or the war but an all encompassing net was cast out to include all Russian people which I believe is wrong and not in the spirit of this forum.

Without getting into the details surrounding the fear, propaganda and weaponisation of disinformation that the Russian state uses to exert control over its people, there is also a huge portion of Russian people that are against the war and quite literally risk their lives to protest it from within.

Casting such a wide net also pays little respect to Russians like Boris Nemtsov (assinated) and Alexei Navalny (poisoned & imprisioned), both of which have given their lives for challenging Putin.

I didn't want to get into this here, this thread should be about celebrating the Arcadia lineup rather than debating international politics. I get that its a very emotionally charged topic but I think we should be careful when casting aspersions on other efesters positions. The war in Ukraine itself is a fairly binary subject but Russian sociopolitics is far more complex and I don't think it's fair to insinuate that some efesters are effectively apologists for Russia for questioning something that is routed in a few social media comments. It's healthy to question, it's how we learn.

For what it's worth, I think NK will be dropped before June. I'm extremely skeptical of claims that come from social media however with a bit of digging last night I did eventually fine a clip of Nina in the Russian documentary 'Khodorkovsky'. For me, it was her comments there that substantiated some of claims on social media.

Anywayzzzz, back to celebrating the lineup (of which I'm pretty disappointed Amelie Lens has been dropped from)

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

No, there's a big difference between being anti-Putin, anti-Russian state and anti-Russian people, the latter of which is outright xenophobia.

I don't think there's anyone here that supports Putin or the war but an all encompassing net was cast out to include all Russian people which I believe is wrong and not in the spirit of this forum.

Without getting into the details surrounding the fear, propaganda and weaponisation of disinformation that the Russian state uses to exert control over its people, there is also a huge portion of Russian people that are against the war and quite literally risk their lives to protest it from within.

Casting such a wide net also pays little respect to Russians like Boris Nemtsov (assinated) and Alexei Navalny (poisoned & imprisioned), both of which have given their lives for challenging Putin.

I didn't want to get into this here, this thread should be about celebrating the Arcadia lineup rather than debating international politics. I get that its a very emotionally charged topic but I think we should be careful when casting aspersions on other efesters positions. The war in Ukraine itself is a fairly binary subject but Russian sociopolitics is far more complex and I don't think it's fair to insinuate that some efesters are effectively apologists for Russia for questioning something that is routed in a few social media comments. It's healthy to question, it's how we learn.

For what it's worth, I think NK will be dropped before June. I'm extremely skeptical of claims that come from social media however with a bit of digging last night I did eventually fine a clip of Nina in the Russian documentary 'Khodorkovsky'. For me, it was her comments there that substantiated some of claims on social media.

Anywayzzzz, back to celebrating the lineup (of which I'm pretty disappointed Amelie Lens has been dropped from)

I work with both Russians and Ukrainians and am hugely sympathetic to Russians who don't support Putin so am not at all xenophobic and I appreciate that information itself is a weapon that Putin's government has worked with but every single Russian I work with has access to VPN and see themselves more as global Russians and they all condemn Putin. Some of them have left the country and others are still trying to. One of my Ukrainian friends has Russian family who won't believe their government is doing anything wrong so I understand Russians who never leave Russia being victims of some pretty strong propaganda. If you travel the world as she does and still choose to take up a Pro-Putin position then I have no sympathy with her if she doesn't get to play around Europe. 

Unless The Eavii have a masterplan of opening her mind and helping her become a more powerful advocate in future. Perhaps if their Ukrainian refugee family have arrived by then they can be allocated to show her around the farm. 

9 hours ago, Brumbot said:

I'm wondering what kind of vibe Calvin Harris will have? I'm a big fan of his older stuff, but I just searched a recent gig on Youtube... and I'll be giving anything like this a miss!

54 minutes ago, jefwefwef said:

There's either a special deal with glasto for that booking, or he's doing it for the lols, cos the Arcadia crew normally pay very little. My cousin said playing on the spider was both absolutely mental, but also technically really difficult due to tons of vibrations and wobbles etc. I imagine they've improved the stiffness of the DJ cradle over the years, but it's still just a basket dangling in the air.

I wonder if he's trying to do a bit of a name relaunch to get away from all the pop stuff he's done in previous years. Bring his love regenerator brand under the Calvin Harris name? 

So you're unlikely to hear any of his older stuff and it'll be mostly new things.

9 hours ago, Brumbot said:

I'm wondering what kind of vibe Calvin Harris will have? I'm a big fan of his older stuff, but I just searched a recent gig on Youtube... and I'll be giving anything like this a miss!

Scenes when he bins being a CK model in, grows his hair back, gets gangly again and then does the 2008 live show crammed in the tiny booth

24 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

Unless The Eavii have a masterplan of opening her mind and helping her become a more powerful advocate in future. Perhaps if their Ukrainian refugee family have arrived by then they can be allocated to show her around the farm. 

Every time I see this mentioned I just keep thinking I hope they like this sort of thing. I can't imagine the stress they have been under. Add to that 220k people moving in for a week when you just got settled in a new,  safer home with all the noise that comes with (arcadia explosions etc.). It may not exactly be ideal. I hope they have the option for them to take a little trip to the seaside if preferred. 

On the other hand if they end up loving it I'd love to hear a little of what they get up to, epecially if there are kids. Obviously protecting their privacy but maybe an article with things like "our new little neighbous enjoyed hunting for the dragon, getting their face painted and playing on the pirate ship this weekend" and "mum was able to let her hair down for a brief moment and enjoyed having a dance to Diana Ross". It can be a good way to highlight how others can welcome refugees into their community. 

Edited by Heather90

21 minutes ago, gigpusher said:

I work with both Russians and Ukrainians and am hugely sympathetic to Russians who don't support Putin so am not at all xenophobic and I appreciate that information itself is a weapon that Putin's government has worked with but every single Russian I work with has access to VPN and see themselves more as global Russians and they all condemn Putin. Some of them have left the country and others are still trying to. One of my Ukrainian friends has Russian family who won't believe their government is doing anything wrong so I understand Russians who never leave Russia being victims of some pretty strong propaganda. If you travel the world as she does and still choose to take up a Pro-Putin position then I have no sympathy with her if she doesn't get to play around Europe. 

Sorry chief, just to be clear it was the "and Russians any positive profile" comment that I felt was xenophobic, not your own (and even that one I think was probably emotionally charged too).

I get you though, and agree. As a rule I try not to take my steer from social media but digging deeper did give me further insight into Nina's political position which isn't in line with mine. If she gets dropped, I believe it'll be the right choice.

My problem is with the state, not it's people and Nina appears to be pro-state, which gave me the context I needed.

Edited by TheDayman

19 minutes ago, TheDayman said:

Sorry chief, just to be clear it was the "and Russians any positive profile" comment that I felt was xenophobic, not your own (and even that one I think was probably emotionally charged too).

I get you though, and agree. As a rule I try not to take my steer from social media but digging deeper did give me further insight into Nina's political position which isn't in line with mine. If she gets dropped, I believe it'll be the right choice.

My problem is with the state, not it's people and Nina appears to be pro-state, which gave me the context I needed.

My comment was neither xenophobic nor emotionally charged. Denying high profile Russian artists a platform (especially those with an ambiguous - at best - view of Putin)  is an important part of the sanction approach. That is both rational and in line with the general support of the Ukraine people. 

4 minutes ago, Blisterpack said:

My comment was neither xenophobic nor emotionally charged. Denying high profile Russian artists a platform (especially those with an ambiguous - at best - view of Putin)  is an important part of the sanction approach. That is both rational and in line with the general support of the Ukraine people. 

"Literally everything that gives Russia and Russians any positive profile has no place in any cultural environment at the moment."

That's quite literally the definition of xenophobia.

Edited by TheDayman

1 minute ago, TheDayman said:

"Literally everything that gives Russia and Russians any positive profile has no place in any cultural environment at the moment."

That's quite literally the definition of xenophobia.

It should have been qualified a bit more, but on that one I took "Russians" as short hand for "people seen to represent the Russian State" rather than "everyone from Russia".

1 hour ago, TheDayman said:

This is an important point. I'm sure we all know people who have been tricked into thinking Brexit is a good idea or that vaccines are bad and that's coming from places with relatively free media. The Russian state has complete control of their media, it's easy to see how Russian's are pro Putin and pro war because of this.

If Nina Kraviz is actually pro Putin and pro war then maybe it's better she goes to events like Glastonbury and meets people with different view points and maybe that will change her mind. Rather than shunning her and other Russian artists which might lead to them doubling down on their beliefs