Arcadia?

Stubbsy55

5 minutes ago, TASHMA BWABWE said:

Not necessarily. I certainly don't think that's being "clearly pro-putin, now and in the past.", and I haven't found anything concrete to back up that assertion.

It's true that her saying "I am praying for peace" is not the condemnation of Putin or out-right support for Ukraine that would put appease her fans or some Glastonbury-goers unfamiliar with her on this matter. 

"I don’t find it necessary for myself to publicly take a stance on issues."

I am excited about the Arcadia lineup and I might go and see Nina Kraviz if the timing suits (I've only seen her play once, which was after Aphex Twin at his Warehouse Project show when I thought she was excellent and much better than I expected), but I'm certainly not a massive fan or anything. However, if she publicly came out in support of Putin between now and then, I'd vote with my feet. But then I don't expect  her to.

Anyway, I'll probably duck out from discussing Nina Kraviz' politics any further in favour of being excited about the festival and its lineup announcements.

The defending of her booking is worse than the booking itself. It is crass. 

I'd be surprised if she gets dropped before the fest, but I'm equally as surprised that she's been booked. Got a long track history of being Not A Great Person, including some highly tone-deaf/dicey stances which began airing well before the invasion.

7 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Inactivity/silence on the issue i could totally understand. If she’s out there publicly defending the war then sure she doesn’t deserve a platform.

Silence and inactivity isn’t permitted though. She’s not the victim, the people of Ukraine are. Literally everything that gives Russia and Russians any positive profile has no place in any cultural environment at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Blisterpack said:

Silence and inactivity isn’t permitted though. She’s not the victim, the people of Ukraine are. Literally everything that gives Russia and Russians any positive profile has no place in any cultural environment at the moment. 

Permitted by who? I just think it is too easy to say from a comfy armchair in the UK (who for all it’s failings doesn’t quite so publicly murder it’s political detractors) when you don’t have a Russian passport.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Twiggy553 said:

Permitted by who? I just think it is too easy to say from a comfy armchair in the UK (who for all it’s failings doesn’t quite so publicly murder it’s political detractors) when you don’t have a Russian passport.

Ask a Ukrainian in a non-comfy armchair if Glastonbury should be booking Russia’s highest profile musician; see what they say. 

Everything else aside (which is a complex position in itself), I’m surprised at the booking given the potential for it to be a thing that blows up in the festivals face. Russian sportspeople who have taken a more public stance against the war have been banned from competing. Could get very awkward for Glastonbury if a few big name acts start to publicly ask questions. That’s the sort of thing we could all well do without in the build up to the festival we’ve all been looking forward to for such a long time. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, gfa said:

No other festival on the planet could get Calvin Harris to headline their what like 4th biggest stage (and very few even second stage, if any?). Hope this leads the way in the future for other huge Arcadia bookings as even if it is just calvin harris to a lot of us, its one of the most impressive bookings i've ever seen.

I really think it's one of the biggest bookings I've seen a festival make in years. Only Glasto ❤️ 

1 hour ago, Blisterpack said:

Thats a fairly outrageous statement.

3 hours ago, Euphoricape said:

I was at fatboy in 2019 and was no problems at all with crowd control. Was busy but still had plenty of room to dance as so much space there. Bring on the spider, can't wait!

Yep, no problem with crowd control. Idris Elba jumping on the mic every couple of minutes on the other hand...

5 hours ago, steviewevie said:

ok...I haven't been to Glastonbury for years...and I'm just a boring old fart who will be there with family and really don't belong anyway...but last time I was there there was this queueing system to get into arcadia like you were in an airport or something...unless that was a dream...and once we got in it was just unpleasantly busy...is that how it is?

You’re kind of right, in 2010 it was in the SE corner, but I don’t think the queuing system for there came into effect until 2011? Arcadia moved out of the SE corner after 2010 anyway so there hasn’t been a queuing system there since then, if there ever was.

6 hours ago, Leyrulion said:

10pm-3am with biggest about midnight. Although looking at that 2019 lineup it's hard to figure out who the top billed acts would be. 

Screenshot_20220427-191722.png

Don’t think you can look at it like top billed or not - not sure you could say Annie Mac billed higher than FBS B2B EE, or vice versa.

8 hours ago, Blisterpack said:

Maybe. But she has expressed pro Putin views in the past, didn’t speak out about Crimea and absolutely should not be playing at Glastonbury this year. 

It might feel good at the surface level, but removing artists like this (see: Wimbledon also) doesn’t help Ukraine in the slightest - not even indirectly. It affects the war by zilch. Thousands of other things we can do to help Ukraine.

8 hours ago, TheDayman said:

Thats a fairly outrageous statement.

It’s pretty much the most common viewpoint held worldwide. The planet is doing everything it can to isolate Russia, including the ‘cancellation’ of high profile artists. Try getting a ticket for a Russian ballet. 
I find some views on here very strange.