Arcadia?

Stubbsy55

3 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I totally get that, but what do people want, to stick with the same thing forever just in case what replaces it isn’t as good? Arcadia themselves say that Glastonbury provides them with an environment to develop stuff without the usual commercial pressures, if they can’t try things like Pangea at Glastonbury then we never would’ve even had the Spider in the first place.

No one wants to stick with the same thing forever.  It’s not coming back because it’s what people want or we’ve made petitions and campaigns for it. 

I look forward to their next invention. 

• Upvote 1

Agree pangea didn't quite cut it but holy shit did I want to see where it went. Spider like stages are slowly becoming the norm (see boomtown, tomorrow land etc....)granted they are not always in 360 or as immersive. But the crane was pushing the boundary again. It looked like the start of the next leap in cool shit for fucked people to look at.

Edited by Boilingtent

6 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

I totally get that, but what do people want, to stick with the same thing forever just in case what replaces it isn’t as good? Arcadia themselves say that Glastonbury provides them with an environment to develop stuff without the usual commercial pressures, if they can’t try things like Pangea at Glastonbury then we never would’ve even had the Spider in the first place.

I'm really glad they tried Pangea and absolutely encourage progression in ideas but there are well-documented reasons why the crane didn't work and isn't a long-term option. There's nothing wrong with admitting defeat if an idea doesn't catch fire (no pun intended), some of the greatest concepts have been born out of perceived "failure". It's much better to scrap an idea and start again, rather than throw good money and resources at something that's arguably not up to their usual high standards.

I hope that 2022 is the Spider's final appearance at Glastonbury and they come up with something even better in 2023. Although they've had some significant (but obviously disrupted) downtime to develop new ideas, my fear is that, if from what I hear from at least one other key area of the festival is true (with them working to budgets at 2018 levels), they may not necessarily have the resources to introduce something as impactful immediately. 

But if anyone can pull something new and exciting out of the bag, it's the Arcadia team.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Junglist1981 said:

I wouldn’t be too surprised if they’ve reinvented something about the area for this year tbh, they love building stuff.

They've had two years to think about new ideas... You'd hope it's not as simple as reverting back to a previous iteration of the spider... 🤞

1 minute ago, Acid Loafers said:

They've had two years to think about new ideas... You'd hope it's not as simple as reverting back to a previous iteration of the spider... 🤞

Came to write exactly this - I'll be very surprised if its just back to the spider of 2017.

For one, look at acts they've secured. They'll get bigger crowds than ever with the line up this year, they need to maximise space. Pangea utilised the space better and increased its capacity.

My guess is that at a minimum the ring of fire and its improved sound system will be back. 

Will the Spider be taller? Will they have more satellite areas around the edge? Who knows but they've had plenty of time to innovate. Whether they can afford to do it will be the big question..

11 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

I'm really glad they tried Pangea and absolutely encourage progression in ideas but there are well-documented reasons why the crane didn't work and isn't a long-term option. There's nothing wrong with admitting defeat if an idea doesn't catch fire (no pun intended), some of the greatest concepts have been born out of perceived "failure". It's much better to scrap an idea and start again, rather than throw good money and resources at something that's arguably not up to their usual high standards.

I hope that 2022 is the Spider's final appearance at Glastonbury and they come up with something even better in 2023. Although they've had some significant (but obviously disrupted) downtime to develop new ideas, my fear is that, if from what I hear from at least one other key area of the festival is true (with them working to budgets at 2018 levels), they may not necessarily have the resources to introduce something as impactful immediately. 

But if anyone can pull something new and exciting out of the bag, it's the Arcadia team.

I do agree that there is absolutely nothing wrong with admitting defeat if something just doesn’t work, but to the best of our knowledge (unless you know differently) it’s been scuppered by the planning issues and not the wind issues, so presumably without the planning issues they would’ve still carried on with what they had in mind for years 2, 3 etc… 

I try not to get bogged down thinking about what could have been, but can't help wondering what the crane would be like this year if it was allowed to stay and 20/21 hadn't been cancelled. Reckon it would have been amazing.

Edited by Junglist1981
my shit english
  • Upvote 1

They’ve had time to dream up new ideas. Hard to see where the money will come from to put those ideas into reality though, no world tour for the spider thanks to covid. Maybe the festival will bank roll them but they probably aren’t flush either after 3 years of no income. I think if it’s the crane it’ll be unchanged from 2019 and if it’s the spider it’ll probably be the same as in 2017.

2 hours ago, stuie said:

Oh mate, you’re just talking silly now. Either that or BBQs at your house are seriously impressive. 

The Afterburner is still in use now. It’s been all over the world, including Burning Man. It has a new festival residency at Valley Fest this year. Not bad for a BBQ. 

That's a fine looking BBQ pit, why doesn't mine look like that?!

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, crazyfool1 said:

spider hype 

This is the video i've been sending my group to get them excited for it! Arcadia lineup so far has been an all round success with the group 🙂

On 4/26/2022 at 1:50 PM, jefwefwef said:

Their last proper record was exclusively new, totally original jungle.

Oh and there is this absolutely classic of them demolishing everyone else the scene by a country mile:

Forgot how good this is, cannot fucking wait for them on the spider.

10 minutes ago, tumbles said:

Always loved this one too

Wow that’s just gone straight into my top 10 things I’ve missed while I’ve been at Glasto. 

And it’s on the old BBQ stage 😂😂 sorry @Deaf Nobby Burton I’m only messing. 

9 minutes ago, Tommy101 said:

I'd completely forgotten that about that Orbital set. Those vehicles were roaming the festival all weekend weren't they? Then converged there during the set? I seem to remember people being fired out of the cannon onto the spider? I must be making that up.

9 minutes ago, stuie said:

Wow that’s just gone straight into my top 10 things I’ve missed while I’ve been at Glasto. 

And it’s on the old BBQ stage 😂😂 sorry @Deaf Nobby Burton I’m only messing. 

Yeah it was a banging set - straight over to the SE Corner after Chems finished for Orbital.   One of the best Saturday evenings at the festival for me.