Arcadia?

Stubbsy55

11 minutes ago, Divein said:

Tbf there’s a few in there that won’t be this year. The Blues, The Bear Hotel etc. 

The Cave and London Underground are on there too and they were last seen in 2017!

I'd still put it on my wall... but I already have too many Glasto prints and illustrations.

16 minutes ago, ManLj said:

If the spider is making a comeback I’d love to see it’s gas bill from 2019 and compare it to the bill for this year! 😂🤮

It uses bio diesel made from vegetable oil and propane. 

33 minutes ago, stuie said:

It uses bio diesel made from vegetable oil and propane. 

I didn’t know that, very cool!

In hindsight, having it run on gas would kind of be at odds with all of the environmental work the festival does so bio diesel seems the obvious choice 😂

Found another iffy photo of the 2011 version this time:

05B34E81-6335-4C76-B42E-AB50253C1302.thumb.jpeg.1d2f958739a2c9ecaee2724eb95871fd.jpeg

Still got the stage bit. Think there was supposed to be a lot of lightening along with the fire, but it wasn’t used due to safety in the rain? The SE corner always seemed so different each year back then, kind of a shame that it’s become more settled recently. I guess in part that’s due to its popularity.

Also gotta be said that my photography skills (or the quality of my phone camera) have improved considerably over the last decade lol 

Edited by Junglist1981

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Considering how naff the spider looks in its first incarnation, and the fact it was over 10 years ago that it looked like that, it blows my mind that people can’t envisage that Pangea would’ve also evolved similarly.

I don’t think anyone has said they doubted Arcadia’s ability but it’s a crane in a field. Arcadia 2010 is infinitely better and more developed than 2019.  

Anyway, it’s not up to us and they seem to have made the decision. 

33 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Considering how naff the spider looks in its first incarnation, and the fact it was over 10 years ago that it looked like that, it blows my mind that people can’t envisage that Pangea would’ve also evolved similarly.

Dunno why we’re still having this conversation when it’s irrelevant as the thing is binned by the council/planning authority.

Edited by MaxPower

1 hour ago, Junglist1981 said:

Still got the stage bit. Think there was supposed to be a lot of lightening along with the fire, but it wasn’t used due to safety in the rain? The SE corner always seemed so different each year back then, kind of a shame that it’s become more settled recently. I guess in part that’s due to its popularity.

There was definitely a lot of lightning in 2010. 2 people on massive plinths firing it at each other.

35 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

When I first set eyes on the Spider in 2011 it immediately blew me away, and it only improved over the years. When I first saw Pangea, although impressed, it didn't have the same instant impact. In addition to the obvious effect that adverse weather has on the crane, I couldn't see how they could develop it any further, but as I've said before, the good people at Arcadia are far, far more creative than I am and no doubt they would have come up with something spectacular eventually. For me in this instance, it's all about my first impression. 

27 minutes ago, stuie said:

I don’t think anyone has said they doubted Arcadia’s ability but it’s a crane in a field. Arcadia 2010 is infinitely better and more developed than 2019.  

Anyway, it’s not up to us and they seem to have made the decision. 

Yes and the pictures posted above are some metal legs with a bbq welded to the top?

It was so much better when the spider was hidden away in the SE corner. You could see the fire flaming up above the trees from the distance and it felt more magical in a secluded field rather than out in the open, on a hill, near all the campgrounds. Even though the spider may be better now as a structure, the old position of it made it a much better experience. I remember going to watch Orbital in 2011, following the fence around while seeing the fire and hearing the blasts from a distance. Then you'd finally enter the field and see it in all its glory. The best thing was that it wasn't even too busy. 

Edited by downtherabbithole
  • Upvote 3

13 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

Yes and the pictures posted above are some metal legs with a bbq welded to the top?

Oh mate, you’re just talking silly now. Either that or BBQs at your house are seriously impressive. 

The Afterburner is still in use now. It’s been all over the world, including Burning Man. It has a new festival residency at Valley Fest this year. Not bad for a BBQ. 

6 minutes ago, stuie said:

Oh mate, you’re just talking silly now. Either that or BBQs at your house are seriously impressive. 

The Afterburner is still in use now. It’s been all over the world, including Burning Man. It has a new festival residency at Valley Fest this year. Not bad for a BBQ. 

So you’re telling me with a straight face that at the time, you knew this:

86B11185-381B-48CF-A04C-C436C4504E56.thumb.jpeg.da1f4c743697a4e230b68f5c377b7986.jpeg

Would become this??

E9115BAF-D280-45B6-A9FE-1E2DD5B8AD0E.webp

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

12 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

So you’re telling me with a straight face that at the time, you knew this:

86B11185-381B-48CF-A04C-C436C4504E56.thumb.jpeg.da1f4c743697a4e230b68f5c377b7986.jpeg

I didn’t say that at all, did I? 

You telling me your BBQ looks like that? 

6 minutes ago, Charm said:

Hey lovely, this is probably the best photo of the spider I’ve seen, is it yours x

If only! No it was just from a quick Google search, admittedly I picked the most impressive imagine I could: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/arcadia-spider-stage-glastonbury-bristol

Edited by Deaf Nobby Burton

46 minutes ago, Supernintendo Chalmers said:

When I first set eyes on the Spider in 2011 it immediately blew me away, and it only improved over the years. When I first saw Pangea, although impressed, it didn't have the same instant impact. In addition to the obvious effect that adverse weather has on the crane, I couldn't see how they could develop it any further, but as I've said before, the good people at Arcadia are far, far more creative than I am and no doubt they would have come up with something spectacular eventually. For me in this instance, it's all about my first impression. 

I totally get that, but what do people want, to stick with the same thing forever just in case what replaces it isn’t as good? Arcadia themselves say that Glastonbury provides them with an environment to develop stuff without the usual commercial pressures, if they can’t try things like Pangea at Glastonbury then we never would’ve even had the Spider in the first place.

• Upvote 4