Tame Impala

FloorFiller

I was at the tent getting ready for Arcadia, after the first 2 tunes, 4 of us went to watch Tame Impala as it sounded good. We stayed for 3/4 hour before heading to Arcadia. Not due to TI, but as we wanted to get into Arcadia.

I thought Tame were good, and we were near the back

Edited by FuzzyDunlop

I skipped after about 15 to 20 minutes and headed early to SE Corner, just wasn't feeling it. On paper I should have loved it and I thought it would have been right up my street from the albeit limited research I did beforehand, however on reflection I don't really know their music and I think I needed to know more of their stuff. I have them in my Spotify now so certainly haven't written them off. 

13 minutes ago, aidenlangan95 said:

Didn't think they were great (even sent a message to a mate saying not to bother leaving Jon Hopkins) until the lasers during Elephant. From then on, it was magnificent.

Its a journey... :D 

I enjoyed their set, although I can see why people less familiar with their music might find it a bit dull. As someone said previously, they have been playing pretty much the same set since Currents came out so hopefully the new album will shake things up a bit. Also, as much as I love Patience, I dont think it works live very well.

Edited by jamesk27

From watching on TV I thought their set looked and sounded the best of the weekend. Their light show was great and the sound (although obviously it’s quite different listening through a tv rather than being stood in front of the stage) sounded absolutely perfect. After a couple mote releases would they be ready to headline The  Pyramid? 

I saw them in 2013 at R&L and Glasto in 2011 and it was a no-brainer to see them over Stormzy.

Was a slow starting, trippy set - just what you'd expect from them. 

In 2020 they could easily sub the headliner on the Pyramid - not sure they have the mainstream appeal to headline it though..

8 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Erm, what the hell is that?

Not a million miles away from acid, it’s a synthesised hallucinogenic. I took it once, was told it had been dissolved in sugar, after I bought I thought “that fella’s just had me off there”, so I threw it done anyway. Ended up watching the matrix and an hour in was convinced I was actually in the matrix and everything I actually knew wasn’t real. Never again.

Edited by lukethekid

• 3 months later...

New material is so overdue. A Leeds/reading headline set could be on the cards unless there are rumours set in stone for who they’ve got for 2020. 

By the time I caught them at Glastonbury this year I think I’d seen the same set 3 times already previously, so was a bit meh. Probably didnt help myself by catching them in Blackpool only a few nights before. But just thought the set missed a new dynamic, which personally for me Patience and Borderlines weren’t the answer. 

Had a great time this year at Glasto for them but probably the least inspiring I’ve seen them (personal perspective that is) so I am really looking forward to new material.

Its been too long Kev. 

2 hours ago, StevieGed said:

New material is so overdue. A Leeds/reading headline set could be on the cards unless there are rumours set in stone for who they’ve got for 2020. 

By the time I caught them at Glastonbury this year I think I’d seen the same set 3 times already previously, so was a bit meh. Probably didnt help myself by catching them in Blackpool only a few nights before. But just thought the set missed a new dynamic, which personally for me Patience and Borderlines weren’t the answer. 

Had a great time this year at Glasto for them but probably the least inspiring I’ve seen them (personal perspective that is) so I am really looking forward to new material.

Its been too long Kev. 

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. First time I saw them on this cycle was 2015 in Liverpool, saw them again in 2016, 2018 & 2019 and the set list was basically the same each time minus the two new tunes at Glastonbury the other month. I imagine they've probably gained a load of new fans in the last few years so they probably managed to get away with it - still felt a bit short changed though, after Patience was dropped in March I was pretty sure they'd have a whole new album of tunes to play by the time Glastonbury came around. Apparently Kev's been given a lot of freedom to tweak & take his time by the label which would explain the delay. I read in an interview somewhere too that he doesn't like playing songs before they've been properly released, which would explain why they've been holding back

Confident it'll have been worth the wait once it's released though!

Edited by BOBBY_FIRMINO

2 hours ago, StevieGed said:

Its been too long Kev. 

We're in luck for new material, soon hopefully! Borderline was great IMO but Patience just didn't hit the mark for me

https://pitchfork.com/news/tame-impala-update-website-with-mysterious-new-video/

https://www.nme.com/news/music/tame-impala-tease-new-album-as-mysterious-video-appears-on-their-website-2559647

https://www.billboard.com/articles/news/8540036/tame-impala-tease-new-music-puzzling-clip

34 minutes ago, Harry_W01 said:

Think both of the new tunes are good, prefer Borderline over Patience like but neither are on the banger level of Less I Know The Better, Let it Happen, Elephant etc so hoping he's got a few belters up his sleeve for the album. He did do a demo with SZA a few years ago which was unbelievable but I don't think anything ever came of it, I'm hoping he's reworked it as a Tame Impala tune because it could easily be this album's Less I Know The Better.

(Posted that link earlier btw, it's the reason the thread has been bumped?)

5 hours ago, BOBBY_FIRMINO said:

Yeah, I'm exactly the same. First time I saw them on this cycle was 2015 in Liverpool, saw them again in 2016, 2018 & 2019 and the set list was basically the same each time minus the two new tunes at Glastonbury the other month. I imagine they've probably gained a load of new fans in the last few years so they probably managed to get away with it - still felt a bit short changed though, after Patience was dropped in March I was pretty sure they'd have a whole new album of tunes to play by the time Glastonbury came around. Apparently Kev's been given a lot of freedom to tweak & take his time by the label which would explain the delay. I read in an interview somewhere too that he doesn't like playing songs before they've been properly released, which would explain why they've been holding back

Confident it'll have been worth the wait once it's released though!

Exact same boat mate, Olympia 2015 September I think? Put on a great show. I can remember they only announced Liverpool and glasgow I think as the warm up shows for the arenas. Then caught them in Manchester early 2016 and they proved they could handle the arenas no bother. 

They were amazing at citadel 2018 mind, but the setlist had a few of the old bangers in. I can remember the days of only innerspeaker being out and it seemed like they used to play 2/3 songs and for the remainder of the set jam out! 

But I think the time has come to put some new music on the table. I read something about the forest fires burning down where they where recording or something along the lines (could be way out but it seems to come to mind) so maybe that was a big factor in why were still without new material. 

I think if they hadn’t have played this year, they’d have been a perfect fit for the pyramid 2020. And I do think they’d be more deserving than the other bands doing the rounds for that slot too, and especially with new material. Would be some show on the pyramid, and I’m certain they’ll do it one year.