Game of Thrones

Rufus Gwertigan

20 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Also Dany’s death seemed weirdly anticlimactic/meaningless - nobody seemed to give that much of a shit and they were all shooting the shit about the next possible ruler in like the next scene. 

But why would they...? Half the reason she went mad in the first place was because all her close friends were dead and she had no love in Westeros. They clearly all had mixed feelings about the whole thing, which seems legit. 

I do agree though that it felt weird the Starks packing Jon off to the wall. I guess you can't really have a queen slayer hanging around, that only works if they're a Lannister.

I'm in two minds about the ending.....it was nice to see how the characters ended up, but it was just wrapped up too neatly - I expect that with a show like Big Bang or Friends or some saccharine crap, but this is GOT, which brought us Baelor, The Red Wedding, Hardhome, etc - it should go out with a shock or some ambiguity, but it felt a lot like a whimper.

Some nice throw back touches and good to see some old characters, like sickly Robyn et al and the ending of Jon at the gates of the wall being a call back to the first scene, but we deserved more.

1 hour ago, gary1979666 said:

I'm in two minds about the ending.....it was nice to see how the characters ended up, but it was just wrapped up too neatly - I expect that with a show like Big Bang or Friends or some saccharine crap, but this is GOT, which brought us Baelor, The Red Wedding, Hardhome, etc - it should go out with a shock or some ambiguity, but it felt a lot like a whimper.

Some nice throw back touches and good to see some old characters, like sickly Robyn et al and the ending of Jon at the gates of the wall being a call back to the first scene, but we deserved more.

I felt there was a hint of future conflict. Bran was obviously king in name only. There’s still a dragon flying around somewhere. Sansa is queen but to a decimated North. Arya is off on her adventures. I didn’t feel it was *too* neat. Neat enough for me though. 

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Also Dany’s death seemed weirdly anticlimactic/meaningless - nobody seemed to give that much of a shit and they were all shooting the shit about the next possible ruler in like the next scene. 

I did think at the time. Why did he have to tell anyone.

"No idea Greyworm where she has gone. Found her with the iron thrown melting and crying about what had she done, then off she flew on her Dragon. I am as puzzled as you mate"

I know he has that odd wooden honour thing going on. And maybe I am more devious.

See that they are saying we may get the prequel in 2020.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/newsbeat-48280752

• Upvote 1

On 5/18/2019 at 6:38 PM, feral chile said:

Not sure if this is where lost is at.

This would be a great song line.

Anyhoo..

Finished alright. Hard thing to pull all the threads back together. Wonder how someone who decided to watch all of it at once for the first time would feel going through it start to finish without all the hubbub. 

Has there ever been a series 8 that has been universally applauded? 

Ps I fucking hate Bran.

Edited by priest17

On 5/21/2019 at 8:41 AM, gary1979666 said:

It felt like an epilogue.

That bit they add at the end to say where everyone ended up.

1 hour ago, philipsteak said:

Benioff and Weiss steer the narrative lane away from the sociological and shifted to the psychological. That’s the main, and often only, way Hollywood and most television writers tell stories.

I read something similar to this saying it happens when studios start spending huge amounts of money on a film / tv series.  Basically when that happens they need to sell it to multiple markets including China to make money. Complicated dialog  / character development maybe more difficult to translate into other languages / cultures and so they are more likely to go for the safe option of minimal character development leading upto big impressive explosions / fight scenes. Its the reason the only thing on at the cinema recently seems to be marvel films.

Edited by lost

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/3/2019 at 10:53 PM, Rufus Gwertigan said:

Did anyone else catch the documentary last week showing the production with a focus on building Winterfell? Well worth a look ?

The Last Watch? I ranted and raved about how shit the ending was after investing 9 sodding years. Watching that really gave me an appreciation for how much effort went in... even if the ending was a big pile of w*nksplat!