Game of Thrones

Rufus Gwertigan

8 minutes ago, lost said:

No Charity work is real work. Alot of our mental hospitals, food banks, special needs services rely on volunteers as well as having paid staff. You still have to be there at a specific time each day to carry out a certain task. 

I volunteer as a football coach but I would never say that my job is to coach football because it isn't.

It's great that you are volunteering for a charity as they are desperately needed. Please just don't use the word 'retarded', especially whilst you are working with people with disabilities. 

5 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I signed it, not because I think it’ll happen (it 100% won’t) but just in the knowledge the showrunners/writers will most likely see it and know what a shitty shitty job they did.

Has any character come out of this season in credit?

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I signed it, not because I think it’ll happen (it 100% won’t) but just in the knowledge the showrunners/writers will most likely see it and know what a shitty shitty job they did.

They'll see it, no doubt. I feel a bit sorry for them. Bit of a witch hunt against them at the moment. They may not have written the base of the story for the previous seasons but they still did an excellent job of bringing it to TV. Whether you have liked season 8 or not, I think people are being unfair when they say the writers are completely incompetent. They've proven in the past they're not, in fact they are some of the most successful writers in TV history. 

7 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

They'll see it, no doubt. I feel a bit sorry for them. Bit of a witch hunt against them at the moment. They may not have written the base of the story for the previous seasons but they still did an excellent job of bringing it to TV. Whether you have liked season 8 or not, I think people are being unfair when they say the writers are completely incompetent. They've proven in the past they're not, in fact they are some of the most successful writers in TV history. 

I think they’ve proven themselves to be fantastic adapters, but as soon as they needed to start fleshing out the story themselves the cracks began to show (the absolute piss poor Dorne storyline being a great example) and it’s pretty clear from what both them and HBO have said that they essentially rushed through the ending of GOT so they could begin work on their new Star Wars trilogy gig. If they wanted to move on they could’ve easily passed the torch over to a team who were still 100% with the franchise, but instead they  just decided they were too proud for that and that they had the ability to squeeze like 30+ episodes of story in to 13 and be done with it. They sank this ship themselves, no doubt.

22 hours ago, CRW5252 said:

I volunteer as a football coach but I would never say that my job is to coach football because it isn't.

It's great that you are volunteering for a charity as they are desperately needed. Please just don't use the word 'retarded', especially whilst you are working with people with disabilities. 

I have an issue with unpaid work being devalued. 

I agree with the word usage, though the context of this was clearly not aimed at people with learning difficulties.

6 hours ago, feral chile said:

I have an issue with unpaid work being devalued. 

Lol, wtf ?... I'm not devaluing unpaid work. 'Lost' claimed that his job involved working with people with disabilities and mental illness. That implied that he had expertise in this area. Volunteers are very important but they are not experts (in the vast majority of cases) and I think 'Lost' tried to imply that he did have some level of expertise in the original post I replied to. 

6 hours ago, feral chile said:

I agree with the word usage, though the context of this was clearly not aimed at people with learning difficulties.

I never said it was. It just worries me that someone who is using the word 'retarded' is working with people with disabilities. 

9 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

I think they’ve proven themselves to be fantastic adapters, but as soon as they needed to start fleshing out the story themselves the cracks began to show (the absolute piss poor Dorne storyline being a great example) and it’s pretty clear from what both them and HBO have said that they essentially rushed through the ending of GOT so they could begin work on their new Star Wars trilogy gig. If they wanted to move on they could’ve easily passed the torch over to a team who were still 100% with the franchise, but instead they  just decided they were too proud for that and that they had the ability to squeeze like 30+ episodes of story in to 13 and be done with it. They sank this ship themselves, no doubt.

I'm not convinced by the people saying they rushed through the GOT ending. They have been working on the show for 7 seasons and they will have been desperate to get the last season right. Even if you look at it from a career perspective, the writers would have know how important it is for their careers to get this ending right.

If the producers thought they could have got 30+ episodes rather than 13 and still maintain a great show they would have done that. GOT is a money machine and if they wanted to drag it out they could of but I think they came to the conclusion that the show would suffer. 

37 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Lol, wtf ?... I'm not devaluing unpaid work. 'Lost' claimed that his job involved working with people with disabilities and mental illness. That implied that he had expertise in this area. Volunteers are very important but they are not experts (in the vast majority of cases) and I think 'Lost' tried to imply that he did have some level of expertise in the original post I replied to. 

I never said it was. It just worries me that someone who is using the word 'retarded' is working with people with disabilities. 

Lost sounds like this is a recent change, and I'm not disagreeing with your stance here.

Having once worked for Mind, I wouldn't by any means say that I had greater expertise than the experienced volunteers there.

Getting paid is irrelevant. Experience is more important.

23 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Having once worked for Mind, I wouldn't by any means say that I had greater expertise than the experienced volunteers there.

Getting paid is irrelevant. Experience is more important.

I agree with you to some extent. Despite this, getting paid for a job means you'll have the opportunity to do it full time and therefore gain more experience. 

Also, the value of qualified healthcare experts should never be underestimated. Volunteers (assuming they aren't qualified healthcare experts) should never be substitutes for qualified mental health nurses, psychologists etc...  

54 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

I agree with you to some extent. Despite this, getting paid for a job means you'll have the opportunity to do it full time and therefore gain more experience. 

Also, the value of qualified healthcare experts should never be underestimated. Volunteers (assuming they aren't qualified healthcare experts) should never be substitutes for qualified mental health nurses, psychologists etc...  

I agree there. Being trained is important, which implies qualifications and paid work at some point.

It's  a sociological itch of mine though, that caring professions generally are undervalued, and unpaid carers are underappreciated.

The other side of this is needing experience for your chosen field, which is gained through volunteering. Except you can't if you're already working.

Not sure if this is where lost is at.

Edited by feral chile

15 minutes ago, feral chile said:

Not sure if this is where lost is at.

Nah been doing it 21 years with big gaps for my proper career. Started with the RVS  and Samaritans and then branched into other stuff via word of mouth offers. I'm at the point now where I can work for enjoyment rather than need so can spend more time doing it,  pretty sick of IT. 

2 hours ago, feral chile said:

Lost sounds like this is a recent change,

Thats the interesting thing. The term retard gained traction in mid 1980's to replace moron or imbacile which were seen as offensive. Around the mid 2000's (the American Association on Mental Retardation dropped it in 2007) it was seen as offensive and we started using stuff like special needs which now is starting to be considered offensive.

Basically you have a term which is its correct term. 8 year olds in playground use it as an insult, that makes it offensive, you then invent a new term and repeat. At some point people are going to have to stop this ridiculous cycle.

6 minutes ago, lost said:

Thats the interesting thing. The term retard gained traction in mid 1980's to replace moron or imbacile which were seen as offensive. Around the mid 2000's (the American Association on Mental Retardation dropped it in 2007) it was seen as offensive and we started using stuff like special needs which now is starting to be considered offensive.

Basically you have a term which is its correct term. 8 year olds in playground use it as an insult, that makes it offensive, you then invent a new term and repeat. At some point people are going to have to stop this ridiculous cycle.

This was your quote: "When you lose it in that way you don't become retarded your probably capable of reasoning where the most likely place for Cersai..." 

You used 'retarded' as an insult so you are part of the problem. 

43 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

This was your quote: "When you lose it in that way you don't become retarded your probably capable of reasoning where the most likely place for Cersai..." 

You used 'retarded' as an insult so you are part of the problem. 

Nope it’s it’s correct medical usage.. someone with a very low iq who couldn’t work out the likely place.. Soneone becoming mad can still have a high IQ hence where the writers are incorrect 

1 hour ago, lost said:

Nah been doing it 21 years with big gaps for my proper career. Started with the RVS  and Samaritans and then branched into other stuff via word of mouth offers. I'm at the point now where I can work for enjoyment rather than need so can spend more time doing it,  pretty sick of IT. 

Cool, that must be very rewarding.

40 minutes ago, lost said:

Nope it’s it’s correct medical usage.. someone with a very low iq who couldn’t work out the likely place.. Soneone becoming mad can still have a high IQ hence where the writers are incorrect 

No it isn't as you haven't used it in a medical context.

Regardless, if you know it is a word that can offend people with intellectual disabilities, then why use it? It shows a complete lack of empathy and consideration on your part. 

Edited by CRW5252

Is anyone staying up/getting up early to watch the last one? I just know some fucker on my commute is going to be watching/talking about it not to mention the spoilerific people on my Facebook (who I’ve mostly hidden for the duration of the series) and will be so pissed off to hear what happens second hand

3 hours ago, bunique said:

Is anyone staying up/getting up early to watch the last one? I just know some fucker on my commute is going to be watching/talking about it not to mention the spoilerific people on my Facebook (who I’ve mostly hidden for the duration of the series) and will be so pissed off to hear what happens second hand

I always stay up to watch it but I am careful not to include spoilers in my post. I don't use the spoiler tab as it just screams to me "Click me".