Game of Thrones

Rufus Gwertigan

7 minutes ago, lost said:

It completely depends on the context. Of course calling someone with a mental illness 'mad' is offensive. 

The context is very different in GOT. I'm sure we can both agree that the society in the show is different to ours.

Regardless, none of this should detract from my original point regarding the use of the word 'retarded'. Using it shows you have a complete lack of understanding of disability and mental illness. 

5 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

Regardless, none of this should detract from my original point regarding the use of the word 'retarded'. Using it shows you have a complete lack of understanding of disability and mental illness. 

Thats bit worrying when its now my job :lol: but as you said yes its from a time when society was very different. Anyway away from arguing about the language of the time the point was its this attention to detail of the characters even though its based in a fantasy world that was the shows strong point, they felt human and so people cared about them and its slowly moved to a more looking cool whilst escaping from explosions type program 

Edited by lost

2 minutes ago, lost said:

Thats bit worrying when its now my job :lol: but as you said yes its from a time when society was very different. Anyway away from arguing about the language of the time the point was its this attention to detail of the characters even though its based in a fantasy world that was the shows strong point, they felt human and so people cared about them and its slowly moved to a more looking cool whilst escaping from explosions type program 

That is worrying... what is your job?

I don't agree. This series was always going to have more 'explosions' as it includes two of the most important battles in the shows history. I think they built up Daenery's character well. She has always been obsessed with power and she realised the only way she could get to the iron throne is by inciting fear into her people. 

1 minute ago, CRW5252 said:

That is worrying... what is your job?

Normally I'm an IT contractor but I'm running down to more voluntary / charity work

I don't agree. This series was always going to have more 'explosions' as it includes two of the most important battles in the shows history. I think they built up Daenery's character well. She has always been obsessed with power and she realised the only way she could get to the iron throne is by inciting fear into her people. 

Thats fine to disagree but I was trying to address the question on the previous page.The reason I think the reviews are steadily getting worse and more people as far as i can see are not happy is due to the depth in the plot going down the toilet since it over took the books.

To ignore the glaring faults in this episode/season/the last few seasons is to completely ignore everything that has lead up to it. Characters doing things that they’ve stood against or developed away from as the season has progressed (Jaime main culprit) or just downright dumb deus ex machina writing (scorpions have pin point precision to take down a dragon and are a huge threat one episode. Oh no wait, now they can’t make a single shot and are destroyed within a couple of minutes next episode).

Its lazy, sloppy, and careless writing held together by awe inspiring set pieces and action sequences - long gone is any nuance or foreshadowing brought by GRRM’s books. Want Euron and Jaime to have a completely pointless fight? Cool, let’s just have Euron wash ashore the moment Jaime is also there. John Snow’s gonna kill the night king just as everything has pointed to? Lol nah it’s Arya - bet you didn’t see that coming ey?!

• Upvote 1

The show has turned into the version of itself that blerts who don’t watch it suspected it was. Absysmal stuff last night unless you love dragons repeatedly burning innocent people. “Look!! Another one!!! Yes!!!!!!”

5 hours ago, lost said:

Well yes thats another thing. The writers understanding of mental illness seems to be that of a 4 year old. When you lose it in that way you don't become retarded your probably capable of reasoning where the most likely place for Cersai to be is and I said its probably more likely to manifest as a sudden sharp lashing out triggered by something rather than continuous killing of women and kids.

I'm quite happy to admit something can be good as a stand alone thing (the cinematography was amazing) Michael Bay does well with minimal character development leading to amazing fight or battle sequences the issue is how its almost changed into a different type of story.

I've read a recap elsewhere that she unravelled because she's lost the justification for everything she's done as the rightful heir.

She's seemed quite isolated too. Previously, she was liberating people who loved her for it. But Jon's the one who's loved.

I was disappointed to see Jaime choosing to return to Cersei, but that final scene...I saw the very damaged children they once were. And Tyrion saying Jaime had been all he had, also fed into this idea of damaged lives. So painful to watch. Much more multidimensional than the likes of Bolton.

Tyrion and Varys... not so sure about that one. Varys seemingly understanding of Tyrion's betrayal...

I think some of the criticism is valid, such as how come it's so easy to take down a dragon one week, then they're like the Deathstar the following week. 

On the whole, the character development works.

Edited by feral chile

I was in the mindset of hating this episode and loving it, after thinking about it for a few days the lazy writing and negatives have outweighed the positive points for me. It's all been ruined by many things but trying to wrap everything up quickly in 6 episodes has been the downfall really, I can get on board with turning Dany into the "mad queen" if they hadn't done it so quickly etc, the fact that Arya and the Hound turned up to kings landing so quickly when in the past it's taken them 3 or 4 episodes to get places. 

The battle of winterfell was great and the music they used in the final Night King sequence was fantastic, always a tough act to follow once they have had such a great episode IMO. However this recent one seemed forced, if they go down the route of making Jon kill Dany now and Jon not even ending up on the throne then that ruins it again for me but this is Game of Thrones and it never goes the way we usually expect. 

Fully expecting the finale to go  with them bigging up Arya to kill Dany and then Jon doing it and then dying himself. That should then open it up for Sansa to be queen but if they do something rogue and daft then I want Bronn to end up on the throne and to finally get his castle..... watch it be bloody Brann instead.

22 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

To ignore the glaring faults in this episode/season/the last few seasons is to completely ignore everything that has lead up to it. Characters doing things that they’ve stood against or developed away from as the season has progressed (Jaime main culprit) or just downright dumb deus ex machina writing (scorpions have pin point precision to take down a dragon and are a huge threat one episode. Oh no wait, now they can’t make a single shot and are destroyed within a couple of minutes next episode).

Its lazy, sloppy, and careless writing held together by awe inspiring set pieces and action sequences - long gone is any nuance or foreshadowing brought by GRRM’s books. Want Euron and Jaime to have a completely pointless fight? Cool, let’s just have Euron wash ashore the moment Jaime is also there. John Snow’s gonna kill the night king just as everything has pointed to? Lol nah it’s Arya - bet you didn’t see that coming ey?!

Jaime clearly progressed. From the biggest douche of the 7 kingdoms that pushed a kid from the window he became an honorable knight but still had one fatal flaw and that's Cersei. He didn't betray the north/Sansa/Jon/Dany, he only went to save Cersei. That's perfectly in line with his character arc. 

On 5/14/2019 at 1:11 PM, lost said:

Personally I'd say something like Breaking Bad is the correct way  to show someone descending this way.. Its not instantaneous more little by little chipping away. 

As I said I was expecting say Cersei to fill the red keep with innocent women and children as a human shield and as the battle proceeded Dany having to make more and more compromised decisions to get at Cersei moving away from the women who freed the slaves or ended up having her husband and child killed to stop a witch being raped. It just seemed bizarre that the switch wasn't forced by stress or a difficult battle, she completely ignored the red keep with Cersei at the window and flew around for about 20 minutes committing genocide first. Anything before that didn't really point to this reaction of attacking the defenceless too. She spared Tyrion so was still thinking tactically then so is it all down to John not being up for a bit of incest?

Apart from that major characters who have been great at playing "the game of thrones" seem to have lost a huge amount of IQ points recently. Varys who was apparently the master and has survived and served many leaders makes a school boy error and Cersei doesn't even seem to have an escape plan when her unborn child is apparently the most important thing. Can't of been too difficult to get one as Jamie gets in easily enough. Also why is she so upset to see he's injured when she sent Bron to kill him?

Finally could just be me but stuff like how many troops she has or how powerful a dragon is seems to vary from episode to episode.

She didn't just kill Cersei as she did what she did to create fear of her. She knows people who she's supposed to reign over in the North will want Jon over her, she is trying to create a situation where people are so scared to even contemplate suggesting anything but her as Queen. At this point no-one matters to her anymore, she herself has become Cersei. All she cares about is her Child [her remaining Dragon] and herself and retaining power. 

On 5/15/2019 at 3:57 PM, Nicklord said:

Jaime clearly progressed. From the biggest douche of the 7 kingdoms that pushed a kid from the window he became an honorable knight but still had one fatal flaw and that's Cersei. He didn't betray the north/Sansa/Jon/Dany, he only went to save Cersei. That's perfectly in line with his character arc. 

Retrospectively though, he could never have all bad, given how he was with Tyrion growing up, despite Cersei and Tywin's hatred of him.

Of course, he was presented to us as callous monster. But he was open to Brienne, too.

Ultimately he was loyal to those he loved, particularly family.

Cersei though.

Why did she have Missandei killed instead of using her as a hostage?

It might have made Daenerys more credible if she had been forced to kill her, and then lost it big time.

Edited by feral chile

On 5/14/2019 at 4:18 PM, lost said:

Normally I'm an IT contractor but I'm running down to more voluntary / charity work

So it isn't really your job...

On 5/14/2019 at 4:18 PM, lost said:

Thats fine to disagree but I was trying to address the question on the previous page.The reason I think the reviews are steadily getting worse and more people as far as i can see are not happy is due to the depth in the plot going down the toilet since it over took the books.

I think it is mainly because of the level of expectation there is on this last season. I do understand peoples point regarding them rushing the ending but I just think people are well over the top with how bad they think it is. 

21 minutes ago, CRW5252 said:

So it isn't really your job...

No Charity work is real work. Alot of our mental hospitals, food banks, special needs services rely on volunteers as well as having paid staff. You still have to be there at a specific time each day to carry out a certain task. 

Edited by lost
  • Upvote 2