Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

2 hours ago, gizmoman said:

Just returned from Lidl with the shocking news that our favourite Devonshire scrumpy has now been renamed Somerset Scrumpy Cider, I was perturbed to notice that the can was different to the old batch and was in fact identical to the Mallets cans. (ring pull batch/date codes).

I suspect they have changed supplier and this is now not Sheppys, however the taste is the same (to me at least) so all is good, it's a slightly darker colour too, but i guess that may vary batch to batch anyway. Any insider info Pinrut/Dusty/James?

Hmm, interesting. I'll make some enquiries. 

Will also buy some tomorrow, sample and report back....not claiming to be any kind of cider sommelier despite having lived in Ciderset for over two decades.  Is it still 6%?

My favourite cider that is widely avalable is Weston's Vintage...Ice cold. Sadly I've found that over the last couple of years, even drinking just a couple of bottles of it give me the most god awful hangover the next day. No idea why but just cant drink any more.

@gizmoman Hugely impressed that you remember me posting about the Devonshire Scrumpy at all, hats off!

Edited by Pinrut

3 hours ago, Pinrut said:

My favourite cider that is widely avalable is Weston's Vintage...Ice cold. Sadly I've found that over the last couple of years, even drinking just a couple of bottles of it give me the most god awful hangover the next day. No idea why but just cant drink any more.

This is a quality cider 👍

Is it a coincidence that the increase in hangover size is in proportion to the increase in your age? I think not 😂

That, and the 8% abv!

1 hour ago, Skelts said:

This is a quality cider 👍

Is it a coincidence that the increase in hangover size is in proportion to the increase in your age? I think not 😂

That, and the 8% abv!

Dang, just realised that I missed an essential word out of my previous post.

Should have read "No idea why but just cant drink IT any more."

Sorry if it had been misconstrued to suggest I can no longer, on occasion, drink copious amounts of alcohol. My bad! It just seems that the delicious Weston's Vintage (8.2% not 8% btw, these things matter 🙂 ) Don't know why, such a shame.

It's so full bodied that you almost have to chew it.

11 hours ago, Pinrut said:

Will also buy some tomorrow, sample and report back....not claiming to be any kind of cider sommelier despite having lived in Ciderset for over two decades.  Is it still 6%?

@gizmoman Hugely impressed that you remember me posting about the Devonshire Scrumpy at all, hats off!

Weston’s is our favourite as well and only £1.49 a bottle in Lidl’s so you have to shop early as they sell out daily.

I have an adopted tree at their factory and try to visit it from Torbay twice a year. 

17 hours ago, Pinrut said:

Yes it's still 6%, had a few cans last night (purely for research purposes!) and found it just as drinkable as ever, same hangover too today. Love Westons Vintage too, tend to have just the one at the start of a drinking session to get into the swing of things, a bit too strong for regular drinking.

Your original post was a top tip, have been buying it regularly for the past two years, still only £2.49 for 4 cans in my local Lidl so thanks again.

• Upvote 1

• 1 year later...

i havnt yet but i'll give em a burl, i predict itll be a fairly unexciting but solid lager like the vast majority of euro-brews!

Baltika will join my No list alongside Budweiser, Carling, Fosters and other pointless/otherwise unpalatable beers  (under review if they manage to bump off Putin)

16 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

i havnt yet but i'll give em a burl, i predict itll be a fairly unexciting but solid lager like the vast majority of euro-brews!

Baltika will join my No list alongside Budweiser, Carling, Fosters and other pointless/otherwise unpalatable beers  (under review if they manage to bump off Putin)

Budweiser are bringing Chernihivska to the UK I have just found out.

https://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/budweiser-ukraine-beer-chernigivske-uk-b2050448.html

On 5/6/2022 at 12:26 PM, idb said:

Has anyone tried Chernihivska Ukrainian Beer - 10 x 440 ml cans for £10 in Morrisons?

thumbnail.jpg?width=1200

False advertising, Morrisons didn't have this on Saturday! I want compensation please @idb - I drove upwards of 9 miles to be disappointed! 😉

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gazzared said:

Gonna get a few of these when Iam struggling to power through - 5.9%

IMG_20220509_164027.png

That's a coincidence, I've spent ages today trying to find an old picture on Google photos of an ale I love. It's Vocation Life & Death. Sublime. Asda are doing 8 for £9 so going to grab 16 tonight to add to my GF stash 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

That's a coincidence, I've spent ages today trying to find an old picture on Google photos of an ale I love. It's Vocation Life & Death. Sublime. Asda are doing 8 for £9 so going to grab 16 tonight to add to my GF stash 

Yeah I'll be getting all my booze from asda as close to the festival as possible, otherwise I'll drink it all . Zero will power 😅

1 hour ago, gfa said:

Haven't used myself but maybe get a smaller one - this carries 33 cans so if full its hardly lightweight!

Do you want to use this for carrying around in the day or getting your beers to the festival as theres far better options for the latter.

I'd be interested in tips on bringing cans to the festival. Have typically filled an empty box of 24 cans of coke and gaffer taped the hell out of it