Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

I was a regular at Glasto but I have had a ten year break. In the past I have had help getting there and been able to get shitloads of cider from the local farms (normally I work and get on site early). This year I am coming as a punter on the coach and have the space to bring 2 or three cases and I am budgeting for 10 quid for an ale or cider from the bars. My Aldi is only 40 yards away and they are quite limited. What does the panel think my best buys given a budget of say 50 quid?

Ah, one of our best annual threads. ?

The choice of good beer in cans is now vast, and there are plenty of places online that will deliver, if you’ve not got anywhere decent near you.

You don’t say what you like. Personally I am a fan of getting in a load of session strength, lightish ales that tastes OK warm: St Austell Tribute & Brewdog Dead Pony Club are my faves. Maybe Adnams Ghost Ship too.

The bars will be £5-6 a pint, not £10.

Just now, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I always go for Hobgoblin Gold. Light and refreshing, cheap at £4.20 for 4 at Asda, and doesn’t have to be chilled.

Yep, one of my favourites. They've got Fursty Ferret in cans in there as well now, which is lovely. Ghost Ship is a a good one as well, although the cans seemed a bit dodgy last year, I had two burst in my rucksack!

When I last went in 2016 St Austell Breweries were doing 3 for 2 on cases of beer and their Tribute is nice.  Unfortunately looks like no offers on at the moment. 

https://www.staustellbreweryshop.co.uk/c/beers-lagers/ 

Otherwise I normally just go to Tescos and see what cans they have on offer. Normally get a mix of things like Adnams, Doom Bar, Badger

1 minute ago, rock the clock said:

Oh nice thankyou! Don't mind smaller cans at festivals so will look out for offers on them 

I'm not sure if you can only get proper job direct from the brewery in cans.

I'm clearly overly keen as I've already started compiling my beer stash as Brewdog had an online sale. I got a bunch of Lost Lager (not tried before) and Electric India (crazy delicious) cans. I'm only going to grab some stouts now and take spirits to meet my needs as can't be arsed with the weight this year! 

36 minutes ago, Tranquility of Solitude said:

I always go for Hobgoblin Gold. Light and refreshing, cheap at £4.20 for 4 at Asda, and doesn’t have to be chilled.

Never tried the gold, massive fan of normal hobgoblin.  I'll add this to my list of stuff to try !

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Unless you can find a decent way of keeping them cold I wouldn’t bother personally. Lukewarm cans are just vile.

Correct. I have a big coolermaster ice box rammed with beer cider and ice to the brim. Keeps things cold until the friday night/sat morning. I make sure I get through the beer first as warm beer has got to be one of the worst things you can drink. Im usually left with pretty cold/cool cider for sat and sunday... which you can put up with not being cold. 

2 minutes ago, Xeph1995 said:

What ever you find that is the cheapest and largest volume.

Warm cans all taste the same to my mouth, so no point in spending more on certain brands when its going to be warm before you even open one.

In the past I have drank Strongbow because it tastes the same warm or cold.  I am investing in one of those Colemans tents that keeps ot dark inside so I am hoping to keep the beer cooler.