Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

2 hours ago, coma girl said:

In previous years they have released the bar line up in advance, hopefully they do that again so I can geek out and check them out on Untappd in advance 

That's a beer geek, I love it. Mrs Boomtowner is exactly the same. She's really hoping there will be a couple of sours on the menu this year 

1 minute ago, Stokesy10 said:

Hi! Yeh I'd seen this online, but it isn't on any of the shelves in the big Tesco stores. 

Seems to be in stock in Reading, if your really after it i'm more than happy to grab some and send it to you 🙂 

17 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

That's a coincidence, I've spent ages today trying to find an old picture on Google photos of an ale I love. It's Vocation Life & Death. Sublime. Asda are doing 8 for £9 so going to grab 16 tonight to add to my GF stash 

Tesco had 4 packs of this for £4 a few weeks back. 330ml cans. 

1 minute ago, gfa said:

Seems to be in stock in Reading, if your really after it i'm more than happy to grab some and send it to you 🙂 

How very kind thanks mate. I'm going to try 2 more on my way back from work later. I wouldnt want to ask you to bring additional weight with your booze 🙂

1 hour ago, Boomtowner said:

That's a beer geek, I love it. Mrs Boomtowner is exactly the same. She's really hoping there will be a couple of sours on the menu this year 

I used to hate sours but really started to come round to them in the last year or so, hopefully BT have a few good ones on the go. 

It is ironic, I always take an interesting selection but usually bring some home. I never take anything back from Glastonbury or Boomtown. I think I only bought 2 pints at Glastonbury in 2019, some horrible beer there.

The beer really is poor at Glastonbury on the whole, one of my few complaints about the festival tbh. I did buy a fair few pints last year due to the heat but in a cooler year I wouldn't use the bars as much. 

24 minutes ago, coma girl said:

I used to hate sours but really started to come round to them in the last year or so, hopefully BT have a few good ones on the go. 

I was the same with sours, and I'd say it's still 50/50 on one's I like / hate. Some of the ones Mrs Boomtowner likes are, in a word, disgusting but others are divine. Vault City and Brew York do some fabulous ones. The collaboration they've just done is fantastic, and it look like you're having your morning juice.

image.png.5d44e52d54d896a836d0add32652dde6.pngimage.png.5d44e52d54d896a836d0add32652dde6.png

1 hour ago, Stokesy10 said:

How very kind thanks mate. I'm going to try 2 more on my way back from work later. I wouldnt want to ask you to bring additional weight with your booze 🙂

I was going to offer to mail you them - if you want me to just let me know. Its letting me cart 20 4 packs+ on the website so I will say i'm questioning it!

19 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

I was the same with sours, and I'd say it's still 50/50 on one's I like / hate. Some of the ones Mrs Boomtowner likes are, in a word, disgusting but others are divine. Vault City and Brew York do some fabulous ones. The collaboration they've just done is fantastic, and it look like you're having your morning juice.

image.png.5d44e52d54d896a836d0add32652dde6.pngimage.png.5d44e52d54d896a836d0add32652dde6.png

FFS, Vault City are ridiculous with their sours - i had a bash of the Coffee poached pear praline tart sour and its very Willy Wonka, you can feel each flavour rise and fall and come up with the next. Incredible! They're going to struggle to can them though, cos fruit + heat + cans = explosions, if they havnt sorted out their yeast . . . 

Ive not tried canned sours at tent temp before, i tend to stay with darker beers (imperial stouts, basically) or really light grapefruity beers if theyre not going to be chilled - more research needed!

19 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Ive not tried canned sours at tent temp before, i tend to stay with darker beers (imperial stouts, basically) or really light grapefruity beers if theyre not going to be chilled - more research needed!

We're in a campervan so tend to get cold beers until Saturday or so, so guaranteed a few at a decent temperature. Planning to try this one as my early afternoon beer. Only 2.5% and fairly reasonable

16521873193647232390572475731400.jpg

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

FFS, Vault City are ridiculous with their sours - i had a bash of the Coffee poached pear praline tart sour and its very Willy Wonka, you can feel each flavour rise and fall and come up with the next. Incredible! They're going to struggle to can them though, cos fruit + heat + cans = explosions, if they havnt sorted out their yeast . . . 

It was Vault City that really started to change my mind regarding sours, had some crackers from them. 

I tried that coffee pear one on draught recently, I wasn't sure if it would work but I definitely enjoyed it. 

I've not read through everything in this thread but in 2019 I took two cases of beer from North Brewing Co, who are based near where I live in Leeds. Their Pinata is a mango and guava pale which was juicy and delicious at all times of day, even when the tins warmed up. Sputnik, which is a more bitter English style IPA was really only any good once it had been dark for a few hours. I'm taking the bus this year so will be switching from two cases of little cans to one case of tall boys but I'll probably stick with something hoppy and juicy from them or Northern Monk - I expect Faith would work well. 

7 minutes ago, coma girl said:

It was Vault City that really started to change my mind regarding sours, had some crackers from them. 

I tried that coffee pear one on draught recently, I wasn't sure if it would work but I definitely enjoyed it. 

These are the beers they brought down for Brew York's Birthday Bash. Wasn't a fan the Carrot cake, but the Mango was good. They do a couple of bottles for Tescowhich are really good

Screenshot_2022-05-10-14-33-55-940_com.android.chrome.jpg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Ingobernable said:

I've not read through everything in this thread but in 2019 I took two cases of beer from North Brewing Co, who are based near where I live in Leeds. Their Pinata is a mango and guava pale which was juicy and delicious at all times of day, even when the tins warmed up. Sputnik, which is a more bitter English style IPA was really only any good once it had been dark for a few hours. I'm taking the bus this year so will be switching from two cases of little cans to one case of tall boys but I'll probably stick with something hoppy and juicy from them or Northern Monk - I expect Faith would work well. 

Two great beers from North, I have 4 of each secreted in my Glastonbury stash. Northern monk is also well represented in my stash with Faith, Uprising and Eternal in there. Also quite a few of these

16521901944852065640715017200227.jpg

23 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

Two great beers from North, I have 4 of each secreted in my Glastonbury stash. Northern monk is also well represented in my stash with Faith, Uprising and Eternal in there. Also quite a few of these

16521901944852065640715017200227.jpg

I think that Raspberry Berliner is going to be a great festival choice. 

20 hours ago, Stokesy10 said:

There's another I love which I can't find anywhere - I had it through Beer52 years ago, its called Buxton Brewery Lupulus X. It was something stupid like £4.25 for a 330ml can 2 years ago online, now I can't see it anywhere. It looks like Tesco did do it at some point but not now.

On your recommendation, just got 4x440ml cans of Buxton Brewery Lupulus X from Tesco, £8. They had quite a few of them.

They also have 4x440ml of Northern Monk Faith for £6, which is an absolute bargain

28 minutes ago, Boomtowner said:

On your recommendation, just got 4x440ml cans of Buxton Brewery Lupulus X from Tesco, £8. They had quite a few of them.

They also have 4x440ml of Northern Monk Faith for £6, which is an absolute bargain

You sampling it tonight? 👀

Vault City is probably my favourite brewery, along with Omnipollo. Staggeringly Good are, well, pretty damn good too. Though I never really order online, we have a fantastic bottle shop here in Colchester that has an on-licence so that satisfies all my beer needs perfectly.

I was gonna treat myself to a pack of white rat from the ossest brewery but they seemed to have stopped doing the cans, during lockdown you could buy cans and also a 10 litre bag in a box 😭