Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

Oof, the hangovers though ?? brothers always gives me the most splitting ‘axe in the centre of the brain’ headache, that burrow hill/nice cans/rum never seems to. I’m blaming chemicals (of which alcohol is one ?

12 hours ago, balti-pie said:

Oof, the hangovers though ?? brothers always gives me the most splitting ‘axe in the centre of the brain’ headache, that burrow hill/nice cans/rum never seems to. I’m blaming chemicals (of which alcohol is one ?

Took me years to realise that Brothers was singularly responsible for my Thursday hangovers. It wasn't until I found some in the shops and drank a couple of bottles without general Glasto indulgence that I knew how bad it was.

1 hour ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Took me years to realise that Brothers was singularly responsible for my Thursday hangovers. It wasn't until I found some in the shops and drank a couple of bottles without general Glasto indulgence that I knew how bad it was.

Maybe that you are sensitive to sulphates/sulphides  ( I am) which are widely used in some Cider manufacturing processes to kill off any wild yeast prior to fermentation. Some would say that only Cider made from wild yeast is 'real'.

Same goes for wine/grapes. 

Brewers use different amounts of sulphates depending on their preferences. They also add more at the end of the process to improve lifespan and transportability.

There is no requirement to publish the amount of sulphides in a drink and concentrations vary enormously.

I've used trial and error to figure out which brands/drinks to avoid and can now avoid  the worst of handovers.

My guess is Brothers use loads of sulphides.

2 minutes ago, HalfAnIdiot said:

Maybe that you are sensitive to sulphates/sulphides  ( I am) which are widely used in some Cider manufacturing processes to kill off any wild yeast prior to fermentation. Some would say that only Cider made from wild yeast is 'real'.

Same goes for wine/grapes. 

Brewers use different amounts of sulphates depending on their preferences. They also add more at the end of the process to improve lifespan and transportability.

There is no requirement to publish the amount of sulphides in a drink and concentrations vary enormously.

I've used trial and error to figure out which brands/drinks to avoid and can now avoid  the worst of handovers.

My guess is Brothers use loads of sulphides.

I don't think it's that, I can drink a lot of scrumpy cider that has the "contains suphides*" and that doesn't cause a problem.  I think  it's Perry - I remember reading about pear juice containing a sugar that doesn't turn into alcohol  (inulin?).

*unless I'm mixing up sulphides and sulphites.

22 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't think it's that, I can drink a lot of scrumpy cider that has the "contains suphides*" and that doesn't cause a problem.  I think  it's Perry - I remember reading about pear juice containing a sugar that doesn't turn into alcohol  (inulin?).

*unless I'm mixing up sulphides and sulphites.

Most drinks contain sulphates (same thing as sulphides) it's the concentration that varies wildly. Cheap plonk often contains a lot to give it a long shelf life and allow it to be transported by tankers. 

You might be on to something with Perry tho. Another opportunity for some field trials ?

22 hours ago, marathonsteve said:

Just found this cider in my local Off licence £1 a can. I will let you know what its like later

IMG_9579.JPG

A bit fizzy and quite strong and I don't quite like the after taste to be honest. You  wouldn't want to drink more than one of these in the evening to get in the party mood. The can says its equivalent to 4.2 UK limits I think the overall  limit for a person is 4 units in a day.  

Over this beautiful weekend I’ve been trying out new Rekordlig Botanicals. It’s not heavy on the taste, but dont let it fool you, it’s more than capable to get you jolly as I found out! Rhubarb and lemons is my favourite. Unfortunately they don’t come in cans yet, or I’m not aware. Would be probably drink of my choice otherwise.

011DFDA4-4606-403C-AB99-106EAF6EF078.jpeg