Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

14 minutes ago, Fishman said:

Whitstable Bay comes in cans and is a good session ale .... tastes OK at field temperature too.

As a Whitstable local I’m ashamed I didn’t know this... I will definitely be investing in these for the weekend, much appreciated 

26 minutes ago, Madyaker said:

Whats the story with this supermarket on site? Will they be selling cans or what? It's a COOP isn't it?

I’d imagine if they are it’d be limited to whatever’s being sold on the main bars i.e. Carslberg & Mallets. But could be surprised!

18 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sorry - they've not confirmed if they're selling alcohol. My phrasing wasn't clear.

Edited by vintagelaureate

3 hours ago, The Red Telephone said:

In the interests of research, I bought a chilled can of Desperados this morning as my local offy has started selling it in 500ml cans. As white-trash as it is, I am partial to a tequila-flavoured beer in the summer. Interested in the idea of taking some to the festival, but need to road-test it in similar conditions so to see if this is viable.

After letting it warm up in the kitchen for 6 hours whilst blasting some dub reggae at it, I’m going in....

55AD2422-6162-488E-BB34-38D6D205726E.jpeg

I don't know how anyone can drink this pisswater tbh!! I accidentally bought one to drink on the shuttle bus to Leeds festival thinking it was like corona or something, one sip and spat it out - disgusting ?

• Upvote 1

All lager is going to be like drinking piss when warm...  I stick to Cider, Desperado (slightly better when warm than lager) or a fruit flavoured craft ale. 

I take a big coolermaster cooler which keeps my lager cold until saturday so I get through that first then move onto the cider. 

A fave of mine (Hobgoblin Gold)  Along with Spitfire (esp. Gold) and London Pride. All are not bad at all when warmish.

Edited by Boris

14 hours ago, vintagelaureate said:

Sorry - they've not confirmed if they're selling alcohol. My phrasing wasn't clear.

See the Co-Op thread. The Supermarket Secrets program last night made it very clear that booze is a core product. They had stacks. They've even repackaged their own wines specially to be sold in plastic bottles.

14 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

Probably already mentioned but if not Adnam's Ghost Ship is a decent canned brew which isn't horrendous at field temp. 

Yep, had a few of them last year, have got them again. One of the better ones when not refrigerated. To be fair, I found most of the ales I tried last year fine. Got a wide selection this year - Hobgoblin Gold, Fursty Ferret, Wyvern and Shipyard, plus a load of small ones from Aldi. Can tell I'm excited, I've done nearly all my shopping already!

26 minutes ago, ripcurl85 said:

Probably already mentioned but if not Adnam's Ghost Ship is a decent canned brew which isn't horrendous at field temp. 

Definitely a good option, although I find St Austell’s Tribute tastier for a traditional English pale. 4 x 500ml cans for £4.50 in Sainsbury’s, apparently.

20 minutes ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I was going to say that if that’s what they sell in the onsite Co-op they won’t make much of a dent in bar takings - but it can’t be much worse than Tuborg/Carlsberg, can it?

well at least with those large letters on the side it cant get mistaken for anything else :) 

4 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

I was going to say that if that’s what they sell in the onsite Co-op they won’t make much of a dent in bar takings - but it can’t be much worse than Tuborg/Carlsberg, can it?

Reckon it will be on a par with other supermarket own brands, apart of course for harrods