Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

On 3/21/2019 at 2:57 PM, The Clearest Blue said:

I'm clearly overly keen as I've already started compiling my beer stash as Brewdog had an online sale. I got a bunch of Lost Lager (not tried before) and Electric India (crazy delicious) cans. I'm only going to grab some stouts now and take spirits to meet my needs as can't be arsed with the weight this year! 

Any link?

On 3/22/2019 at 10:46 AM, joeruss said:

Big wave

Elvis Juice (grapefruit IPA)

Brooklyn summer ale

Tried Elvis Juice last night as you recommended it. Have to say it's nice, but not one i could drink much of tbh, flavour would just get a bit much. Local coop stocks it so it'll certainly be one I keep a few of on the booze cupboard :D

4 minutes ago, Jimbobjojo said:

First timer here - How do you carry all of this? Does it mean multiple trips to the car? I know about trollies, but is it essential you bring one if your intending to take this much weight? 

Yes to trollies. Get one with wheels at least 12 inches diameter to cope with the mud. 

13 minutes ago, Jimbobjojo said:

First timer here - How do you carry all of this? Does it mean multiple trips to the car? I know about trollies, but is it essential you bring one if your intending to take this much weight? 

First up, welcome!

So I'd say you've got a few options. You can do multiple trips, so travel light on your first run to get in and get the tent up, then go back for beer. Personally I'm not a fan as it's likely to be a helluva trek back out, and once my tent is up I just want to start enjoying it.

Trolleys are an option, but if you do make sure you get solid one. Lots of good advice on here over which ones are good, but be warned that the paths from the car parks to the site are littered with broken shitty trollies. And if it goes, you're stuck with a shedload of stuff and no sensible way to carry it. Sack trucks are quite a solid option if you're taking boxes as you can stack them and keep it stable, but once you start packing multiple shapes you lose that stability and you're in a world of discomfort.

If there are a few of you those big IKEA bags carried between you are an option as you can stop, swap and give your hands a rest. But it will hurt after a while, so get gloves.

My preference from the last time I stocked up on tinnies was to load em in a second rucksack and wear one normally and one at the front. They balance each other out, and means your hands are kept free so you can enjoy a few of said beers on the walk. Works for me as I'm in decent nick and don't have back/shoulder problems, but prob not for everyone!

Edited by Quark

19 minutes ago, Jimbobjojo said:

If there are lock ups in the way in, maybe drop off the heavy non camping stuff there and pick up at your leisure after setting up.

On 3/21/2019 at 7:51 PM, balti-pie said:

*settles down, makes himself comfy* 

my favourite subject. I’ve agonised, researched and considered, and I go with the idea that dark beers are perfectly good to have at room (well, tent) temperature, and they’re often pleasingly strong as well. I’ve started compiling my rarer glasto dark beers box already but they’ll be bolstered by decent amounts of: 

Magic Rock common grounds - I can’t stand coffee, but this coffee porter is smooth, roasty, beautiful. A magnificent breakfast beer. 

Beavertown Black Betty - a Black IPA so it’s quite hoppy and refreshing on the chops (and 7% odd as well) 

Gun imperial whiskey stout - a brewery close to me so maybe not easy to get, but it’s a sipping majesty at over 7% 

Brewdog jet black heart - always my fave of their beers, and they’ve only been canning this for a few months - looking forward to trialling it extensively at glasto

Northern Monk mocha porter - smooth and beautiful. Belting stuff 

i tend to keep one can a day of something ridiculous, the Northern Monk/Evil Twin imperial stout at 12% is currently sat in my box looking all sexy - I’ll be cracking one of those the very moment my headliner of choice gets on stage. A little can of madness! 

Try Fallen Raspberry Dog Chew.

• Upvote 1

24 minutes ago, cammie81 said:

Try Fallen Raspberry Dog Chew.

Had it on tap a while back, it’s an absolute smasher - but I’m on the south coast and it’s a right twat getting hold of Fallen beers down here. 

Could be a chance of an efests dark beers swapmeet though ? 

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

Had it on tap a while back, it’s an absolute smasher - but I’m on the south coast and it’s a right twat getting hold of Fallen beers down here. 

Could be a chance of an efests dark beers swapmeet though ? 

Outstanding idea (ran out of upvotes). Need a ticket first but would absolutely be up for that.

Good luck in the resales! I failed (for the first time ever) in the October sales but I’ve since sorted out stewarding shifts for Oxfam so I’ll be there. A little beer swap would be a great way of getting East Sussex beers out to the rest of the country, and get me supping some different stuff too ??

Another mention for Brewdog Jet Black Heart which I find perfectly enjoyable at room temp. Dead Pony Club the grapefruit IPA is good but also quite weak as a session ale so Elvis Juice is probably the better fruity IPA as it’s much stronger but can get sickly. 

For non flavoured IPAs I think Camden Town IPA is still very good at room temp although can’t beat it ice cold. 

I struggle to enjoy lager unless it’s cold these days, and the cheap lagers although the price is more tempting really aren’t worth the money saved in my opinion.

21 hours ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Sorry if Im speaking out of order as I'm now going to mention a canned cider.

Lidl sell a Devon scrumpy for about £2,80 (probs a tad less) for a four pack of 440ml.

This is actually being missold as it is made in (well, at least fermented in) Somerset. Made by Sheppys but without their branding.

6.00% and absolutely delicious. 

Trust me on this, worth risking £2.80 next time you are passing a Lidl just to find out. 

Mrs two hats (MTH): We were going to have pizza for tea, but we've run out of ingredients.

Me: I'll go!

MTH: Which shop are you going to, Co-Op or Morrisons?

Me : LIDL.

MTH: LIDL?

Me: LIDL! They have some great prices...

MTH: LIDL!!? *suspicious* why LIDL?

Me: I have it on very good authority that they have a very good deal... on cider.

It's incredible value. It's not *quite* as good as Sheppy's bottled scrumpy, but it's about a quarter of the price! 6% is always a good clue that you're getting real cider and it's definitely that. Probably the best canned cider I can ever remember having. Great tip!

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Upvote 2

Might pop along to the cricket this week cos I’m off work, so I’ll be trialling unrefrigerated cans. I’ll have a bash of those Lidl scrumpy efforts, I’ll have a couple of Jet Black Hearts, and I’ll see if Tanglefoot stands up to scrutiny as well #importantresearch 

Ill also be trialling pork pies and wholegrain mustard ?

1 hour ago, HeyPorter said:

A lovely bottle, never seen it cans. Very unhelpful post sorry. 

Solid work, thanks for coming :lol:

1 hour ago, balti-pie said:

Might pop along to the cricket this week cos I’m off work, so I’ll be trialling unrefrigerated cans. I’ll have a bash of those Lidl scrumpy efforts, I’ll have a couple of Jet Black Hearts, and I’ll see if Tanglefoot stands up to scrutiny as well #importantresearch 

Ill also be trialling pork pies and wholegrain mustard ?

Tanglefoot and a pie. Yes please.

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

It's incredible value. It's not *quite* as good as Sheppy's bottled scrumpy, but it's about a quarter of the price! 6% is always a good clue that you're getting real cider and it's definitely that. Probably the best canned cider I can ever remember having. Great tip!

I'll pass your thanks onto daughter #1. She told me about it. Her mate works at Sheppys and told her about it. 

Supposed to be a secret 'cos Sheppys think that their name will be devalued if it becomes public knowlege that they supply Lidls. That is why it is called 'Devon Scrumpy' 

13 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

I'll pass your thanks onto daughter #1. She told me about it. Her mate works at Sheppys and told her about it. 

Supposed to be a secret 'cos Sheppys think that their name will be devalued if it becomes public knowlege that they supply Lidls. That is why it is called 'Devon Scrumpy' 

It's the price that I can't get over. I didn't  realise Sheppy's could make cider that cheaply and it still be worthwhile. I mean, it's not shot full of sweeteners  and raw ethanol, but it's still super cheap. 

I'll be back. 8 cans don't last long.

Incidentally, Brothers (yes the awful hangover inducting Perry people) do a pretty decent flat apple cider in B&M Bargains. Sold in cartons.

On 3/23/2019 at 5:55 PM, Quark said:

Has anyone tried Fursty Ferret in cans? It's my absolute go to as a bottled beer to keep in stock but I've found that some beers can vary greatly between bottle and can.

I've had it in cans . It's good , never as good as bottled, but still quality.