Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

16 hours ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Beer tastes better fresh. Ideally you don't want to be compiling your festival stash until a couple of weeks beforehand.

But surely you don't know how long it's been since it was canned when you buy it though. You could buy some cans in June that are actually older than cans you buy now.

47 minutes ago, duke88 said:

But surely you don't know how long it's been since it was canned when you buy it though. You could buy some cans in June that are actually older than cans you buy now.

True. There is always that extra time you don't know about (unless the packaging indicates it, as some does). But if you buy now you're adding an extra 3 months on top of that time.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, duke88 said:

Depends. Many of the craft breweries discussed in here, like, Northern Monk, will have a 'canned on' date on their cans (and a best before)

On 3/21/2019 at 4:19 PM, Brave Sir Robin said:

Beer tastes better fresh. Ideally you don't want to be compiling your festival stash until a couple of weeks beforehand.

Hmm. Can’t begin to imagine what could possibly go awry with a plan to start my festival beer purchasing in March.

12 hours ago, Quark said:

We made the mistake (not at a festival) of trying Brewdog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin a few years back. 35% I think. Just...no

?? I’ve not had a bash of that but I really can’t imagine it’s too enjoyable. The strongest beer I’ve had was an Evil Twin Bozo Beer at 17% and it was bloody hard work just having half a can - that’s twice the strength! I’d far rather drink rum, because rum is the answer to pretty much every late night question 

Lidl occasionally sell their own brand "Festbier", you only see it a couple of a times a year but they had it in couple of weeks ago.

5.5% like proper premier larger used to be, 500ml cans and 99p each - got some strange looks when I checked out with 72...

2019-03-04 16.53.33.jpg

20 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

?? I’ve not had a bash of that but I really can’t imagine it’s too enjoyable. The strongest beer I’ve had was an Evil Twin Bozo Beer at 17% and it was bloody hard work just having half a can - that’s twice the strength! I’d far rather drink rum, because rum is the answer to pretty much every late night question 

Imagine if a cat ate a jar of marmite and then hoicked it back up again. You're nearly there. We drank it in shots.

Rum however, now we're on the same page

• Upvote 1

Sorry if Im speaking out of order as I'm now going to mention a canned cider.

Lidl sell a Devon scrumpy for about £2,80 (probs a tad less) for a four pack of 440ml.

This is actually being missold as it is made in (well, at least fermented in) Somerset. Made by Sheppys but without their branding.

6.00% and absolutely delicious. 

Trust me on this, worth risking £2.80 next time you are passing a Lidl just to find out. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Lidl sell a Devon scrumpy for about £2,80 (probs a tad less) for a four pack of 440ml.

This is actually being missold as it is made in (well, at least fermented in) Somerset. Made by Sheppys but without their branding.

Trust me on this, worth risking £2.80 next time you are passing a Lidl just to find out. 

I'll give that a bash, cheers Dusty.

1 hour ago, Sawdusty Surfer said:

Woah, £2.80 for four? And  Sheppys??