Beer (in cans) recommendation.

Rufus Gwertigan

On the flip side of sensible recommendations, we used to leave a pack of these in the middle of the table at BBQs back in my misspent youth to serve as punishment drinks for drinking games.  Absolutely horrific when it warms up.

3370202738_f44b7b0789.jpg

1 minute ago, Quark said:

On the flip side of sensible recommendations, we used to leave a pack of these in the middle of the table at BBQs back in my misspent youth to serve as punishment drinks for drinking games.  Absolutely horrific when it warms up.

3370202738_f44b7b0789.jpg

Oof... that’s probably only about 3.2%, but used to give horrendous headaches.

2 hours ago, Rufus Gwertigan said:

I was a regular at Glasto but I have had a ten year break. In the past I have had help getting there and been able to get shitloads of cider from the local farms (normally I work and get on site early). This year I am coming as a punter on the coach and have the space to bring 2 or three cases and I am budgeting for 10 quid for an ale or cider from the bars. My Aldi is only 40 yards away and they are quite limited. What does the panel think my best buys given a budget of say 50 quid?

I'm not sure you do have that much space.  Particularly on the SeeCoaches, there's probably enough room for 1 or 2 people to bring a trolly - max.  I've been travelling on the coach for a few years now and wouldn't dare risk trying to bring that much beer.  I'd plan to buy it at the co-op instead.

*settles down, makes himself comfy* 

my favourite subject. I’ve agonised, researched and considered, and I go with the idea that dark beers are perfectly good to have at room (well, tent) temperature, and they’re often pleasingly strong as well. I’ve started compiling my rarer glasto dark beers box already but they’ll be bolstered by decent amounts of: 

Magic Rock common grounds - I can’t stand coffee, but this coffee porter is smooth, roasty, beautiful. A magnificent breakfast beer. 

Beavertown Black Betty - a Black IPA so it’s quite hoppy and refreshing on the chops (and 7% odd as well) 

Gun imperial whiskey stout - a brewery close to me so maybe not easy to get, but it’s a sipping majesty at over 7% 

Brewdog jet black heart - always my fave of their beers, and they’ve only been canning this for a few months - looking forward to trialling it extensively at glasto

Northern Monk mocha porter - smooth and beautiful. Belting stuff 

i tend to keep one can a day of something ridiculous, the Northern Monk/Evil Twin imperial stout at 12% is currently sat in my box looking all sexy - I’ll be cracking one of those the very moment my headliner of choice gets on stage. A little can of madness! 

• Upvote 8

3 hours ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I'm not sure you do have that much space.  Particularly on the SeeCoaches, there's probably enough room for 1 or 2 people to bring a trolly - max.  I've been travelling on the coach for a few years now and wouldn't dare risk trying to bring that much beer.  I'd plan to buy it at the co-op instead.

Yep. I've seen booze left behind. The coaches I've been on have allowed a day sack on board which you can just squeeze a case in (or in my case 5 '1 litre' bottles of mixed spirits.

These hold five litres each, from memory they're around £15 each. Less if you buy in bulk. They get lighter and easier to carry the more you drink  ?They 'can' be used as a seat that also gets comfier the more you drink.? Hopback Brewery do some others but this is my favourite.?

Screenshot_20190321-194600_Gallery.jpg

Edited by mashedonmud
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Xeph1995 said:

What ever you find that is the cheapest and largest volume.

Warm cans all taste the same to my mouth, so no point in spending more on certain brands when its going to be warm before you even open one.

Nah. Not a chance. I'd rather rim a stranger on the Sunday night than drink a warm can of Fosters, Carling, Carlsberg etc. It can be massively salvaged if the beer in question was actually nice to begin with, unlike the aforementioned piss water in a can.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, mashedonmud said:

These hold five litres each, from memory they're around £15 each. Less if you buy in bulk. They get lighter and easier to carry the more you drink  ?They 'can' be used as a seat that also gets comfier the more you drink. ?

hopbackbrewery.comScreenshot_20190321-194600_Gallery.thumb.jpg.5adb7abf0f8620d3415b13087b5fe38a.jpg

Aren't those a ballache to pour from with the tap on the bottom? Don't you need someone to hold it up everytime you want a drink?!

2 hours ago, mashedonmud said:

These hold five litres each, from memory they're around £15 each. Less if you buy in bulk. They get lighter and easier to carry the more you drink  ?They 'can' be used as a seat that also gets comfier the more you drink.? Hopback Brewery do some others but this is my favourite.?

Screenshot_20190321-194600_Gallery.jpg

Upvoted because your emoji work is on point.

2 hours ago, Keithy said:

Yep. I've seen booze left behind. The coaches I've been on have allowed a day sack on board which you can just squeeze a case in (or in my case 5 '1 litre' bottles of mixed spirits.

Also agree with this you will struggle to get that on a See coach and last time I left on a Wednesday a couple of people were made to leave their trolley (to be fair it clearly says in the conditions you can bring a tent and a rucksack)

11 hours ago, balti-pie said:

i tend to keep one can a day of something ridiculous, the Northern Monk/Evil Twin imperial stout at 12% is currently sat in my box looking all sexy - I’ll be cracking one of those the very moment my headliner of choice gets on stage. A little can of madness

We made the mistake (not at a festival) of trying Brewdog's Tactical Nuclear Penguin a few years back. 35% I think. Just...no

• Upvote 1