The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/21/2022 at 2:37 PM, Leyrulion said:

7am-3am Sunday. I wonder how they're getting around the Sunday trading laws? It certainly seems big enough to be restricted in its hours.

Trading hours for retailers: the law

Small shops in England and Wales can open any day or hour. There are no trading hours restrictions in Scotland.

Size of a small shop

A small shop is one that measures up to and including 280 square metres.

This area includes all parts of the shop you use to display goods and serve customers. You can’t get around the restrictions by closing off parts of your shop on certain days.

Rules for large shops in England and Wales

Shops over 280 square metres:

• can open on Sundays but only for 6 consecutive hours between 10am and 6pm
  • must close on Easter Sunday
  • must close on Christmas Day

If your Sunday trading hours are restricted, you must clearly display what they are inside and outside your shop.

Exemptions

Shops exempt from the Sunday trading restrictions for large shops include:

• airport and railway station outlets
  • service station outlets
  • registered pharmacies selling only medicinal products and medical and surgical appliances
  • farms selling mainly their own produce
  • outlets wholly or mainly selling motor or bicycle supplies and accessories
  • suppliers of goods to aircraft or sea-going vessels on arrival at, or departure from, a port, harbour or airport
  • exhibition stands selling goods

(Although, I'm not entirely sure it looks to be over 280 SQM, that would be 54 foot x 54 foot... and only shop floor spaces counts.)

Edited by Alvoram

3 hours ago, efcfanwirral said:

Surely festivals are a completely different thing?

50 minutes ago, august1 said:

You've got to imagine providing a service to a closed ticketed event is different rules

I'm thinking the merch store at the Open golf on the Sunday also..

Yes I think so, hence the highlight in green. They would come under 'exhibition' I'm sure. I think they're using the term exhibition to describe a 'ticketed' event.

In the actual legislation the exemption is written as follows: 

(k)any stand used for the retail sale of goods during the course of an exhibition

And that's it, nothing else is said on it, so it's definitely open to be interpreted this way. 

Edited by Alvoram

1 hour ago, Alvoram said:

Yes I think so, hence the highlight in green. They would come under 'exhibition' I'm sure. I think they're using the term exhibition to describe a 'ticketed' event.

In the actual legislation the exemption is written as follows: 

And that's it, nothing else is said on it, so it's definitely open to be interpreted this way. 

I know they had to change the law for the shops during the Olympics as they didn't fall under the exemption. So if the Olympic merchandise store didn't fall under that exemption I'm not sure the co-op would. 

Anyway I'm sure they've probably calculated it to be 279.9m² to get away with it. Someone get the ruler out on Google earth. 

Edit: I'm also not an expert in this at all just curious!

Edited by Leyrulion

10 minutes ago, Leyrulion said:

I know they had to change the law for the shops during the Olympics as they didn't fall under the exemption. So if the Olympic merchandise store didn't fall under that exemption I'm not sure the co-op would. 

Anyway I'm sure they've probably calculated it to be 279.9m² to get away with it. Someone get the ruler out on Google earth. 

Was the Olympic merch store inside the ticketed perimeter?

3 minutes ago, incident said:

Was the Olympic merch store inside the ticketed perimeter?

100%, it is a 10 year old memory but it was definitely after the search by the military and ticket scan (not that they actually scanned my ticket ironically). It wasn't in Westfield or anything like that.

1 minute ago, Leyrulion said:

Yes I think the merch shops in question were accessible to all though, not just those with venue tickets, as in anybody that had access tickets to the olympic park, both before during and after the actual event. And don't forget access to the park was not ticketed for the paralympics, if I recall correctly. Plus I think the terms festival and exhibition are a bit more interchangeable than a sporting event. You could be right though, I am only theorising afterall, I'm no legal expert either. But if I was planning an event like this, I'd risk it for a biscuit with such vague wording. "It's basically a 'performing' arts exhibition gov, honest."

Google maps says it's 20M x 28M, so 560 SQM. Are the massive marquees next to it storage, or is some of that 560 SQM storage?