The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, K2SO said:

I was speaking to one of the traders (you know the ones that sell tat like the goggle sunglasses or glittery hats) yesterday and they are so mad that the Co-Op is there, and some stalls are taking cards. They were adamant that the festival will be over within 5 years.

The way I see it, you have to move with the times. Me, personally, I much prefer to use cards wherever possible, so I'm more inclined to go somewhere that takes them... And I'm also more inclined to buy something if it is cheaper. If I can buy 4 ice creams in the Co-Op for £2, why would I pay £3 for a Mr Whippy at an ice cream van?

Your last point people will pay for the convienance... no probs if you are over near the co-op but if you are at pyramid or further across you probably won't walk all that way to get stuff..

By sounds best thing is they have mixers and ice which will be a god send given the weather

4 hours ago, JGP said:

I suppose it depends how much you think the independent traders bring to the whole 'vibe' which makes Glastonbury what it is.

I'm with you on that. Some people are no more than tat sellers. Selling the same shitty sunglasses and hats as the next stall. It's the independent food places and hand made stalls that I do feel for

2 hours ago, K2SO said:

I'm with you on that. Some people are no more than tat sellers. Selling the same shitty sunglasses and hats as the next stall. It's the independent food places and hand made stalls that I do feel for

I would hope that their quality and uniqueness means the co-op can't eat into their profits.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:26 PM, K2SO said:

If we're serious about reducing waste at the festival, we need to get rid of the tat sellers - people who make products for the sake of it.

Did they sell alcohol? If the price is correct with someone saying £6.60 for a bottle of coke that’s obviously very expensive but it could save us valuable festival time meaning we don’t have to leave site to travel to the Tesco to get supplies. 

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

Did they sell alcohol? If the price is correct with someone saying £6.60 for a bottle of coke that’s obviously very expensive but it could save us valuable festival time meaning we don’t have to leave site to travel to the Tesco to get supplies. 

Didn't sell alcohol but I was very impressed and it seemed to work well

Some food stalls did take card but none of them seem to advertise it 

3 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

They didn't charge £6.60 for a bottle of coke. They charged £1.10 for a can, which is approximately the going rate at my local store, and then people have extrapolated that to indicate how much it would cost to refill (almost) a 2L bottle.

No alcohol, but prices were approximately real world for most items - the soft drinks are expensive because they weren't selling large bottles or multipacks etc rather than anything else.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

They didn't charge £6.60 for a bottle of coke. They charged £1.10 for a can, which is approximately the going rate at my local store, and then people have extrapolated that to indicate how much it would cost to refill (almost) a 2L bottle.

No alcohol, but prices were approximately real world for most items - the soft drinks are expensive because they weren't selling large bottles or multipacks etc rather than anything else.

My apologies I’ve added 2+2 and equalled 5.

Shame they don’t sell booze.

Thanks for the info, the prices don’t seem to be too different to real life.

Edited by lukethekid

34 minutes ago, incident said:

And meanwhile the traders were charging £2.50 all day long when people were suffering from heat stroke on Saturday which is just gross profiteering. Very much in favour of the co-op.

7 hours ago, MJP said:

If we're serious about reducing waste at the festival, we need to get rid of the tat sellers - people who make products for the sake of it.

Completely agree with you. If you buy a 16" sombrero at the festival, what do you even do with it afterwards? The only things I bought that weren't food were a bamboo lunchbox, toothbrush and pair of sunglasses, and a bandanna. All of which I'll use post-festival.

On 6/27/2019 at 8:18 AM, K2SO said:

I was speaking to one of the traders (you know the ones that sell tat like the goggle sunglasses or glittery hats) yesterday and they are so mad that the Co-Op is there, and some stalls are taking cards. They were adamant that the festival will be over within 5 years.

The way I see it, you have to move with the times. Me, personally, I much prefer to use cards wherever possible, so I'm more inclined to go somewhere that takes them... And I'm also more inclined to buy something if it is cheaper. If I can buy 4 ice creams in the Co-Op for £2, why would I pay £3 for a Mr Whippy at an ice cream van?

No issue with me if they leave. Tat like that goes against the whole reusable ethos the festival is moving towards. Does anyone ever reuse those sunglasses or hats .... or are they landfilled? I suspect the latter.

7 hours ago, dulcificum said:

And meanwhile the traders were charging £2.50 all day long when people were suffering from heat stroke on Saturday which is just gross profiteering. Very much in favour of the co-op.

Is it really profiteering? There's free water in the taps you know, and small traders won't have the economy of scale that Coop do.

• Upvote 2

Mentioned it in another thread, but how come they were allowed to sell fruit and other items in plastic containers when there was a site-wide ban on plastic? Good to see their sandwiches in new packaging but lots and lots of plastic still being sold.

Loved their presence though, being able to grab a meal deal walking past (albeit £2 more than in store) really sorted my lunch out most days. And that ice was a saviour. Well stocked too. Only once I visited and it was shut for a re-stock following a mad rush.

1 minute ago, D-Low said:

Mentioned it in another thread, but how come they were allowed to sell fruit and other items in plastic containers when there was a site-wide ban on plastic? Good to see their sandwiches in new packaging but lots and lots of plastic still being sold.

Loved their presence though, being able to grab a meal deal walking past (albeit £2 more than in store) really sorted my lunch out most days. And that ice was a saviour. Well stocked too. Only once I visited and it was shut for a re-stock following a mad rush.

they seem to be leading the way on plastic reduction in General cant find the article but if I remember rightly it was something like an 80% reduction by 2021in own label  ... so maybe they were allowed on this basis ? 

Thought it was great. Helped by the fact we camped in Paines so a 10 minute walk away we could buy ice, fruit, soft drinks, sandwiches, newspapers plus a few other bits.

Queues were never that bad and although more expensive than off site I thought it was all very well done. 

A brilliant addition to Glastonbury.

It was in some kind of trial plastic that's meant to be fully biodegradable 

It was good the Co-op, a welcome addition. Nearly as welcome as the turbo fans on the way into it, they were brilliant 

Edited by Mezhyp1

52 minutes ago, Keithy said:

No issue with me if they leave. Tat like that goes against the whole reusable ethos the festival is moving towards. Does anyone ever reuse those sunglasses or hats .... or are they landfilled? I suspect the latter.

I wear my glittery hat frequently! I love it! 

This year is the first time I’ve bought anything at the Festival for years - second hand leggings and a key ring from the forge in the park. Hopefully more and more people are wising up to rampant consumerism and not buying useless tat! 

Think it will be more the case they won’t be at the festival in 5 years! 

Because it might be a 'special' Mr Whippy :)