The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

2 hours ago, morph100 said:

From Facebook:

I live in Glastonbury and was talking to the manager of co op and they’re not allowed to sell beer on site. There’s a bus from site that goes into town where there’s a Morrison’s or Tesco to stock up if you want to do that.

How does the Glastonbury town manager know this? Is this confirmed, or just an opinion?

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

How does the Glastonbury town manager know this? Is this confirmed, or just an opinion?

That’s why I put “from Facebook” as in could be made up nonsense could be true.... hope it’s not true and they do have some alcohol.

4 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

I don't get this, are you thinking of bringing an empty trolley onto the coach? I'm already pretty much as laden as I'm going to get when I come in through Gate A, there's no way I could add a crate of beer to my kit on the way to camping up.

No I'll have rucksack (with sleeping bag attached), tent and booze.  So laden fully - get off coach and be able to carry it through PGA all together but rather than lug it all at the same time, put half of it in the lock up so we can skip cheerfully to wherever we want to pitch and then stroll back to pick it up when we have pitched.  No trolley involved at all.  Just arms.  I obviously won't be able to carry many cans for that reason.  

If the co-op is there I will buy it after pitching and fill my empty rucksack to transport it I guess.  I am guessing we'll pitch relatively close to PGA - I've lugged my stuff from there to near Williams Green before and don't want to repeat that!

17 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Oh yeah, course you did, so it's second hand? Were there any more details on the post? If public, do you have a link?

Funnily enough, I just stumbled across the same post - on the Glasto Goers Facebook page

image.png.efb57552ae554b84622a6968687b1ca4.png

24 minutes ago, Beerqueen said:

Funnily enough, I just stumbled across the same post - on the Glasto Goers Facebook page

image.png.efb57552ae554b84622a6968687b1ca4.png

Yeah that’s the one I didn’t click his name to see if he was a helpful truthful chap or a wind up merchant....

I am not too bothered about whether it sells beer or not for two reasons.

i couldn’t be bothered wasting festival time tramping across the site possibly for miles to queue for a case of beer

I really think that nothing should be done to affect the sales in the bars, especially the WBC . I m happy enough with the way things have been over recent festivals. I do however realise that some folk might be on a tight budget. 

15 hours ago, Chris Wilders Moretti said:

I have it on good authority from a friend at the co-op that they won't be selling booze at the festival, mainly due to the festival not wanting to effect sales at the WBC

https://www.facebook.com/groups/glastochat/permalink/2509403375761133/

If this is true and just not a Twitter support monkey just assuming the Glastonbury pop up shop is the same as others, it'll be interesting to see how it affects the bars. Surprised there's not been a requirement for a licensing change given only bars could sell booze before.

12 minutes ago, Keithy said:

If this is true and just not a Twitter support monkey just assuming the Glastonbury pop up shop is the same as others, it'll be interesting to see how it affects the bars. Surprised there's not been a requirement for a licensing change given only bars could sell booze before.

I'd rather trust them than someone who says they spoke to a random member of staff in a nearby town.

On 5/19/2019 at 6:00 AM, Beerqueen said:

Especially as we're on the 6.15 am coach!!

Just looked at the map and our b&b is a 20 minute walk from the station and I will indeed walk past the supermarkets and the pick up point to get there so I can suss the area out.   Not that I'm an overplanner or anything you realise....I just like to know where I'm going beforehand.  (I may have been the first person at my pick up point in 2016 as I had left over an hour to find the bus stop which was 5 minutes from Birmingham New Street but in an area I hadn't sussed out beforehand.)

Two years ago I went out on the Tuesday night, first to look for the pick up point, then shopping. I was walking across a bridge with printout in hand looking a bit lost, then met other people who were doing exactly the same. In the morning there was still confusion as people were gathering in two different places but it all worked out in the end.

Edited by Watergirl

30 minutes ago, Watergirl said:

Two years ago I went out on the Tuesday night, first to look for the pick up point, then shopping. I was walking across a bridge with printout in hand looking a bit lost, then met other people who were doing exactly the same. In the morning there was still confusion as people were gathering in two different places but it all worked out in the end.

As long as you haven't forgotten it will be fine :) 

1 hour ago, Watergirl said:

Hopefully we won't have any problems at all, but I do like to be sure - glad to see you do too!  I find it stressful when people I am with are very laissez faire about such things!

I was talking to a Co-Op manager who works on Festivals.  They said they would be selling crates of beer at Glastonbury (but not any brands that have a franchise on site). They are strict on age verification and confiscated more than 230 fake IDs at Reading Festival.  Meal Deals are a big seller along with Instant Noodles.  To prevent fraud they have a system where they take the receipt from you as you exit to prevent you nipping back in and picking up a second item. At Reading they were taking about £10k an hour through the checkouts.