The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

8 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

I dont think to will make much difference ... it will cater for a different market ...those who carry the alcohol on to site  ... the only impact might be on the local supermarkets which people leave the site to get to to stock up 

I agree, I take a few cans for by the tent and I’ll happily buy them there rather than carry in if I can but any time I’m near a bar I’d much rather have a fresh pint. And yes I know I’m in the fortunate position where I can afford to do this but having access to a shop that sells cans won’t change this. The only way I could see it having a direct effect is if it was easily accessible from say the Pyramid but I expect it is going to be near one of the PGs and therefore it will be a serious trek to go and buy a couple of cans of you want to watch bands 

1 hour ago, Brave Sir Robin said:

Details of the Co-op at IoW, might indicate what we'll get:

"The Co-op is coming to the Isle of Wight Festival and we’ll be bringing a whole load of festival essentials, right to the heart of the campsite. So you can forget stuffing your backpack and instead grab whatever you need when you arrive.

For your convenience, the store will be open daily until 3am with our resident in-store DJ also returning so you can rock while you shop.

You’ll find all your festival requirements, from sandwiches, snacks, fruit, bacon and bread to water, beer, wine and toiletries.  And whatever the weather we’ve got you covered, from sun cream to rain ponchos.

You can even pay with a tap using a wide variety of contactless payments including Barclaycard and bPay.

We are also bringing reverse vending machines where you can recycle your empty plastic bottles in return for a voucher to use in the festival store or make a donation to the Co-op Foundation.  And best of all the bottles you return, will be recycled and find a new life as Co-op water bottles."

https://isleofwightfestival.com/news/2019/co-op-is-joining-the-isle-of-wight-festival-line-up?

The 'lunchtime sandwich and snack' bit of modern "local" supermarkets is a plastic nightmare.  I wonder if they'll make any changes or if they'll still have the regular plastic sandwich containers and plastic pots of boiled eggs, hummus dips etc.

I think it would impact the bars. People who go on the coach can only so many cans so are more or less forced to drink at the bars unless they take spirits or wine. 

I'm planning on taking less this year and therefore thought my bar spend would go up but if there's an option to buy cold tins reasonably cheaply on site, I'd be likely to go there instead.

I don't think there's reason to assume any tins of beer or cider sold would be cold. Even if adverised as such, if the turnover is enough they're not going to be cold. So I don't see the bars being particularly affected. Same as the availability of cheap sandwiches won't necessarily bother food traders. The sandwich people probably weren't going to shell out on a meal for lunch anyway.

Not sure if this has been answered. what are we thinking in terms of mixer because no plastic? Just cans? Also do we think they'll sell boxed wine/plastic bottles of wine? 

Trying to see how much I want to bring on the coach vs just getting there for a bit extra. 

they only way they could keep any alcohol cold in those quantities would be to restock it out the back of a chilled trailer .... I guess thats a possibility ... temporary chillers with shelves  I dont expect could hold the volumes that would be sold .

1 minute ago, Boris said:

Definitely plastic bottles of wine. Boxes I dunno.

8 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Not sure if this has been answered. what are we thinking in terms of mixer because no plastic? Just cans? Also do we think they'll sell boxed wine/plastic bottles of wine? 

Trying to see how much I want to bring on the coach vs just getting there for a bit extra. 

All plastic bottles will be replaced with cans, or not stocked, I'd bet money on it.

1 hour ago, Gnomicide said:

I think it would impact the bars. People who go on the coach can only so many cans so are more or less forced to drink at the bars unless they take spirits or wine. 

I'm planning on taking less this year and therefore thought my bar spend would go up but if there's an option to buy cold tins reasonably cheaply on site, I'd be likely to go there instead.

No force involved, I drink there quite willingly. ?

• Upvote 2

Still unsure of how to play the alcohol situation - coming via coach and with a heavy tent, will probably make do with 1L Vodka / 1L Rum and pray for some cheap(ish) mixers on-site - having the option to grab a slab of beer/cider there to leave in the tent would be perfect though

17 minutes ago, chazwwe said:

Bring a reusable bottle, then just buy a half pint of cold mixer from a bar (ask for it without ice) and add your own vodka/rum/etc. Sorted.

12 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

All plastic bottles will be replaced with cans, or not stocked, I'd bet money on it.

In the interview with the Co-Op festival pop-up manager he explained how they have specifically created a range of plastic bottle versions of some of their own brand wines for these festival shops. There's a pic even. Oh I suppose I'll have to find the link ;)

7 minutes ago, grilladelphia said:

Still unsure of how to play the alcohol situation - coming via coach and with a heavy tent, will probably make do with 1L Vodka / 1L Rum and pray for some cheap(ish) mixers on-site - having the option to grab a slab of beer/cider there to leave in the tent would be perfect though

Someone brought up in another thread using the small squash containers for vodka if thats your deal. Thats what I'm gonna try, my go to is always rum though. 

4 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Bring a reusable bottle, then just buy a half pint of cold mixer from a bar (ask for it without ice) and add your own vodka/rum/etc. Sorted.

That's a damn good idea. 

13 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yeah that's what I'm expecting, looks like I'll be on the wine a fair bit if they have it in stock. 

1 minute ago, Boris said:

In the interview with the Co-Op festival pop-up manager he explained how they have specifically created a range of plastic bottle versions of some of their own brand wines for these festival shops. There's a pic even. Oh I suppose I'll have to find the link ;)

That's true, but the piece was regarding the (Festival Republic) events they did last year. Since then the push to reduce plastic usage has got stronger, and Glastonbury has outright banned plastic bottles so it's not safe to assume that what they did last year applies here.

I'm going to assume it.. I love a risk ;) heh yes but they have the recycle bottle/ machine scheme.. I reckon that'll make it ok. Failing that they'll have to put a wine tap outside and dispense it in gobfulls! I can take a decent 350ml glassful in my cakehole- so I'll be ok.

6 minutes ago, Boris said:

Gotta go with what others are gonna say. Glastonbury has put a straight out ban across the site. Bars, ice cream trucks and probably co op too. No plastic bottles. 

52 minutes ago, Dukeicon said:

Yeah, not that I have been thinking this over constantly since the ban on sale of plastic bottles was announced...but I have ordered a 750ml reusable twin wall steel bottle.  I reckon a pint of cold coke from the bar topped up with rum (decanted into a plastic bottle from home getting a second use!) should be just the job.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boris said:

Was he talking about Glastonbury?  There aren't any single use plastics allowed at Glastonbury this year.

1 hour ago, crazyfool1 said:

they only way they could keep any alcohol cold in those quantities would be to restock it out the back of a chilled trailer .... I guess thats a possibility ... temporary chillers with shelves  I dont expect could hold the volumes that would be sold .

They've been doing that at Hurricane festival for a few years now. Can't remember there ever being an issue other than long lines.

3 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

I have these awful visions of them selling out of booze by Thursday and not being able to meet demand.

It's a much bigger festival than they are used to. 

Exactly this. Especially if they are selling alcohol and mixers. Just don't see how they can deal with the volume. Only solution would be if the co op was in a really out of the way place

7 minutes ago, gratefulbread said:

I have these awful visions of them selling out of booze by Thursday and not being able to meet demand.

It's a much bigger festival than they are used to. 

Assuming they actually sell alcohol - they'll just restock daily like they did at other festivals last year, and like most of the bars do.. Much easier than storing on site, and that's one of the reason people think they're likely to be located near/on one of the main access roads. Worst case scenario they run out a few times but are back fully stocked within 24 hours.

Edited by incident

On 5/9/2019 at 1:49 PM, Gnomicide said:

Still think there's a good chance there won't be alcohol at Glastonbury Co-op. All these other festivals it's outside the arena and you can't take it in.

How would the co-op differ to the existing on-site shops?

I recall in (in 2014 maybe?) being able to buy a crate of lager, some ice and a big tub when we had ran out of tent beers.

I'm sure we paid through the eyeballs for it (but it was worth every penny as we had all reached peak warm tent beer fatigue?)

9 minutes ago, brightyoungthing2 said:

How would the co-op differ to the existing on-site shops?

I recall in (in 2014 maybe?) being able to buy a crate of lager, some ice and a big tub when we had ran out of tent beers.

I'm sure we paid through the eyeballs for it (but it was worth every penny as we had all reached peak warm tent beer fatigue?)

If the other festivals is anything to go by, this shop will be bigger and cheaper.

Edited by stuartbert two hats
  • Like 1