The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

1 hour ago, GMF said:

Parents from Scotland were down in London recently and were astonished that we could still get a litre of gin for £16. The minimum price for alcohol in Scotland was meant to tackle the neds drinking 2 litre bottles of White Lightning, not get in the way of socially functioning alcoholics.

We cast envious eyes on the supermarket deals on cider and beer down south. The minimum price per unit hasn’t worked, increasing the price of cheap cider and buck fast  hasn’t deterred the Neds .  

Anyway back to the co-op. Wherever  it’s situated it will probably serve the campsites closest to it. I can’t imagine myself walking from hitchin hill across the whole site just to buy beer and pot noodles. 

1 hour ago, Ayrshire Chris said:

We cast envious eyes on the supermarket deals on cider and beer down south. The minimum price per unit hasn’t worked, increasing the price of cheap cider and buck fast  hasn’t deterred the Neds .  

Just wondering if there was now a more significant illegal trade in alcohol up in your neck of the woods? Surely there must be loads of vans heading over the border, loading up with cheaper booze, and heading back across the border to sell the stuff at below Scottish market price? If not, do you think that it's the policing powers (or potential fines) that are curtailing this activity?

4 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Just wondering if there was now a more significant illegal trade in alcohol up in your neck of the woods? Surely there must be loads of vans heading over the border, loading up with cheaper booze, and heading back across the border to sell the stuff at below Scottish market price? If not, do you think that it's the policing powers (or potential fines) that are curtailing this activity?

No policing can curtail cheap alcohol and fags.

I lived in La Linea de la Conception on and off between the 80s and early noughties. I made a big chunk of my earnings from crossing over to Gibraltar for a full English breakfast followed by a stop off at any corner shop to pick up a pre packed box of  tobacco and cigarettes. A quick drop off at the post office and usually a Pizza Hut on the way out and my money was made. I was on first name terms with ALL the post office staff and only once in nearly 20 years did a delivery not get through, the punishment was a letter to the recipient warning them they may get fined if it happened again. I miss the days of 15p fags

5 minutes ago, OG said:

I lived in La Linea de la Conception on and off between the 80s and early noughties.

I stayed there for one night, before crossing in to Gibraltar to get the plane back to the UK. I found Gibraltar depressing.

I've recently come back from the Far East where the fags were cheap. We brought 600 back with us, but they've long since been smoked. I can't really justify paying £17 a day on fags now for me and my wife, so we are going to start vaping this coming Tuesday - as soon as we've got rid of the party animals that are strewn around this house!

5 minutes ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

I stayed there for one night, before crossing in to Gibraltar to get the plane back to the UK. I found Gibraltar depressing.

I've recently come back from the Far East where the fags were cheap. We brought 600 back with us, but they've long since been smoked. I can't really justify paying £17 a day on fags now for me and my wife, so we are going to start vaping this coming Tuesday - as soon as we've got rid of the party animals that are strewn around this house!

It really is as depressing as Filey (without the monkeys, which incidentally I never saw)  but when you need a little bit of England to remind you why you're  putting up with the endless days sat at a beach bar then theres nowhere better 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Yoghurt on a Stick said:

Havnt noticed any increase in that, publicans are quite happy as it affects the off licence business rather than pub prices.  The biggest change is in drink driving with the reduction in the legal limit meaning a pint can put you over the limit. Basically if you are driving, even the morning after, you just don’t drink. 

• 2 weeks later...
34 minutes ago, brettredmayne said:

Is it confirmed that this shop will see cans and alcohol, first time going by coach so obviously it limits what I can take and think this would be a great option.

Not yet we are awaiting confirmation of what they will stock ... a few from here have tweeted them asking ... 

43 minutes ago, MEGABOWL said:

I’ll just be happy with this selling bottles of lemonade/cordial as mixers. Used to buy bottles of Coke etc.from the Ice Cream vans but expecting that’s a no-no this year.

Doesn't the new plastic ban forbid the selling of such things? 

1 minute ago, Mr.Tease said:

Doesn't the new plastic ban forbid the selling of such things? 

It should forbid the plastic part. Can't see any reason why the Co-op wouldn't be able to sell for example a 6 pack of soft drink cans, and if last year is any indication then it's likely to be at approximately regular (ie not "special offer") retail prices.

12 minutes ago, Zoo Music Girl said:

Presumably they will be in glass bottles/cans?

I still can't see them selling alcohol tbh, but I could be wrong. The demand will surely be very hard to keep up with if so! Only way I could see it working is if they locate The Co-op in an off the beaten track place for reduced footfall.

They won't be able to sell glass bottles either so just cans or cartons is my guess. 

I'll be amazed if they sell booze. It'll be food, essentials and soft drinks. Probably have a chiller for sausages, bacon, etc.

I don't recall anything in the Mendip licensing minutes for a licence change to allow a shop selling alcohol, which it'd surely need.

Still think it'll takeover the Pennards/Park supermarket spot.

25 minutes ago, Keithy said:

I'll be amazed if they sell booze. It'll be food, essentials and soft drinks. Probably have a chiller for sausages, bacon, etc.

I don't recall anything in the Mendip licensing minutes for a licence change to allow a shop selling alcohol, which it'd surely need.

Still think it'll takeover the Pennards/Park supermarket spot.

Hmmm... Not sure on that last bit, wherever it is it will need good access routes for the amount of goods that are going to be delivered. I think somewhere up by Gate A makes the most sense. Funny it hasn't been placed on the map yet though.

I was thinking somewhere maybe in Silver Hayes, but maybe past the Blues as there is the road that runs through behind the Blues and they've also lost a stage in there so there could be space. 

But I think this is due to me having a dream that they put a supermarket in there on the left as you walk in. 

My working theory is that it's probably either going on the land formerly occupied by Cosy Camper, or just across the concrete road in the Campsites.

Those locations would put it on the easiest possible route for deliveries etc via Red Gate, and would also have a high percentage of people arriving by coach walking past it on the way in, without being too much competition for the main markets.

4 minutes ago, incident said:

My working theory is that it's probably either going on the land formerly occupied by Cosy Camper, or just across the concrete road in the Campsites.

Those locations would put it on the easiest possible route for deliveries etc via Red Gate, and would also have a high percentage of people arriving by coach walking past it on the way in, without being too much competition for the main markets.

Assuming they'll sell camping gear in there?

15 minutes ago, The Nal said:

Assuming they'll sell camping gear in there?

They didn't last year at the Festival Republic events. Sounds like Glastonbury are trying to cut down on the amount of camping kit sold so would expect to see an overall reduction in the number of camping stalls.

5 minutes ago, incident said:

They didn't last year at the Festival Republic events. Sounds like Glastonbury are trying to cut down on the amount of camping kit sold so would expect to see an overall reduction in the number of camping stalls.

Well theres only one now? The place in Williams Green?