The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

12 hours ago, Cooter said:

I don't think I'm comfortable with this supermarket stuff at festivals, great for ease of use but where's it going to stop. I'm surprised that GF are accommodating this, albeit the oh so fair Co-op but where's it stop?

All of the corporate links they have at the festival have a direct benefit to the festival.   EE are there because they provide necessary infrastructure, BBC are there to provide coverage which allows them to book much bigger acts for lower than normal fees etc.

Co-op appears to be an exception, but in return for this cash cow they are opening a village shop.

We're not going to start seeing stage sponsors and pop ups which are only there to flog their wares.

2 hours ago, Carlos Miller said:

If they sell cold drinks at better prices than bars...... its YES from me! I wont have to take so much with me. Also it will be great if they sell their  'Irresistible' range  pizzas, baked on site.

I doubt they'll be allowed to undercut the bars much sadly... Will they have ice- that's the big question!!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, glasto-worker said:

from that report last night on BBC1 showing Latitude - they appeared to be selling Pepsi (2L) at £4.50 - Asda outside its £1.50  

but they skipped over the alcohol prices

so if they are selling alcohol you can expect the same type of markup

Don't know about this year, but the prices at Latitude last year definitely weren't at that sort of markup or anywhere close. For most things they were maybe 10% above what I'd expect to pay at Sainsburys.

33 minutes ago, incident said:

Don't know about this year, but the prices at Latitude last year definitely weren't at that sort of markup or anywhere close. For most things they were maybe 10% above what I'd expect to pay at Sainsburys.

sadly it was a fast panning shot and they did not zoom in on the prices but it was £4.50 now it may have been ' two for £4.50 ' but the camera did not get that close.

The fee Festival Republic charge them at Latitude wont be close to the fee GFL will be charging them due to the fact that there is no arena so I reckon the prices will be far higher if they are allowed to sell alcohol - time will tell.

30 minutes ago, glasto-worker said:

sadly it was a fast panning shot and they did not zoom in on the prices but it was £4.50 now it may have been ' two for £4.50 ' but the camera did not get that close.

The fee Festival Republic charge them at Latitude wont be close to the fee GFL will be charging them due to the fact that there is no arena so I reckon the prices will be far higher if they are allowed to sell alcohol - time will tell.

Just watched it back.

The £4.50 you saw was for the Meal Deal - Sandwich + Side + 500ml Drink.

4 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

At Download and R&L they have a collect a crate of Carlsberg or Somersby on site when you've bought in advance. Obviously not doing that but they were charging £24 for a crate of 440ml cans. Wouldn't expect that much difference in price from this.

That isn't too bad really - in perspective I've seen crates charged at £100+ in places.

Back in the day, Leeds Fesvial offered a 'can amnesty' service, where you could trade warm cans of lager for ice cold Carling. People used to take crates of cheap-as-hell supermarket own brand lager and swap it. Granted, Carling's not the best, but an ice cold can is much better than a lukewarm 2% Aldi dishwater.

I think it only lasted a year or two, for obvious reasons.

Edited by StLewi

19 minutes ago, StLewi said:

Back in the day, Leeds Fesvial offered a 'can amnesty' service, where you could trad warm cans of lager for ice cold Carling. People used to take crates of cheap-as-hell supermarket own brand lager and swap it. Granted Carling's not the best, but an ice cold can is much better than a lukewarm 2% Aldi dishwater.

I remember my first Leeds fest in 2012, they were doing a can and a bacon/sausage bap each day. The can options were Carling or Skol. They were out of Carling so we had a nice warm can of Skol to start the day. Disgusten.

COOP are pushing all the major [festival republic] festivals and paying top dollar for their sites

obviously there's a long-standing link to MB there but its no surprise to see coop at Glastonbury as has been described before in this thread

the interesting thing is the dynamic around what they are allowed to sell as it affects all the food traders and bars 

its all a very very delicate financial and political balance so it will be fascinating to see the effect [if any] that they have

17 minutes ago, StLewi said:

Back in the day, Leeds Fesvial offered a 'can amnesty' service, where you could trad warm cans of lager for ice cold Carling. People used to take crates of cheap-as-hell supermarket own brand lager and swap it. Granted Carling's not the best, but an ice cold can is much better than a lukewarm 2% Aldi dishwater.

I bought 100 cans of Tesco’s Lager for about £40 to trade in at this, bargain.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Superunknown said:

At Download and R&L they have a collect a crate of Carlsberg or Somersby on site when you've bought in advance. Obviously not doing that but they were charging £24 for a crate of 440ml cans. Wouldn't expect that much difference in price from this.

That's about half off compared to the bars - I think the most I paid was £5 for a can of Red Stripe somewhere in Shangri-La in 2017.  I reckon that if they do sell beers, it'll be ~£10 for a 4 pack of lagers, which is a "probably worth the effort if you're passing, but not worth a significant detour" price and a bit cheaper for crates on the basis they'll likely be a once-a-day / start of the festival purchase for groups.  I said before up-thread - I reckon this will primarily catch the people who would have bought a couple of crates in with them and passers-by, and only have a small impact on the bars which benefit from being everywhere (convenience).

• Upvote 1

Given there's been a supermarket on site for ages (bottom of Park), I reckon the Co-OP is replacing that one to have something a bit more 'organised'. In a location for camping areas, decent footfall but away from the main food area around William's Green.

Tbh, I'm just expecting a basic co-op selling fruit, snacks, cold drink, booze, batteries and essential toiletries....pretty much what the existing supermarket sold.

4 minutes ago, Keithy said:

Given there's been a supermarket on site for ages (bottom of Park), I reckon the Co-OP is replacing that one to have something a bit more 'organised'. In a location for camping areas, decent footfall but away from the main food area around William's Green.

Tbh, I'm just expecting a basic co-op selling fruit, snacks, cold drink, booze, batteries and essential toiletries....pretty much what the existing supermarket sold.

This has passed me by completely.  There was a supermarket at the bottom of The Park??

9 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

This has passed me by completely.  There was a supermarket at the bottom of The Park??

Aye. Not literally the bottom of Park but walk away from it towards the railway line...there's a row of canvas tents... supermarket was in there. Supermarket is probably over selling it....corner shop level. Was by the cash machines and where they sold the Guardian.

2 hours ago, Keithy said:

I'm presuming they won't be allowed to sell bottles of pop or water though due to the plastics ban- maybe they'll sell those in cans (I saw some can's of water at an airport shop recently- had no idea they did those!).

Someone who works at the co-op did tell me the other day what they'd be selling and I thought "ooh, I must post that on efestivals", but by the time I got home, as usual I could remember everything apart from the vital bit of info! I remember the conversation before and after they said what it would sell, but no the actual bit about what they would sell! D'Oh!

Also, I hope everyone knows about the bakery the festival has between the workers tower and the circus field (hopefully it will be there this year again)- it's quite reasonably priced and you can get bread, rolls, donuts, cakes, muffins etc. Sometimes you get lucky and they'll sell extra large pieces of cake at the end of the day/night to get rid of it. Very delicious! it's a reasonably cheap way of filling up if the meal you bought elsewhere hasn't filled you up.

19 minutes ago, Mr.Tease said:

Also, I hope everyone knows about the bakery the festival has between the workers tower and the circus field (hopefully it will be there this year again)

Funny you should say that..

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Superunknown said:

I remember my first Leeds fest in 2012, they were doing a can and a bacon/sausage bap each day. The can options were Carling or Skol. They were out of Carling so we had a nice warm can of Skol to start the day. Disgusten.

It was just skol or pepsi max, never saw Carling once from the Friday - was it about on the Thursday then? Skol was just lager flavoured water at 2% so I went for the Pepsi instead lol