The Co-Op at Glastonbury

stuartbert two hats

2 minutes ago, crazyfool1 said:

very strange if its at the festival ... Im sure I read it as in the village ?

I was on my phone so didn't realise there was hardly any article without paying *ahem*.  Here's the publicly available text:

Co-op to open pop-up shop at Glastonbury festival

20 March 2019

girls at music festival

Society has also submitted a planning application for a permanment store in the adjacent village of Pilton

Note the "also", it sounds like two things are going on here. A permanent store, and a popup/stall at the festival.

I was chatting to a guy who works on some level at the co-op (he was a friend who was out with us, not a cashier) says they're doing it at loads of festivals this year including R&L and I think Download. 

It'd be a weird one, but I never use the shops that are usually there. Can imagine the tanoid constantly bleating 'clean up on aisle EVERYWHERE'

Just now, stuartbert two hats said:

I was on my phone so didn't realise there was hardly any article without paying *ahem*.  Here's the publicly available text:

Co-op to open pop-up shop at Glastonbury festival

20 March 2019

girls at music festival

Society has also submitted a planning application for a permanment store in the adjacent village of Pilton

Note the "also", it sounds like two things are going on here. A permanent store, and a popup/stall at the festival.

didn't see the also bit ... its very odd in my eyes as Emily was quite clear about them ruling out things like this at her talk 

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Yes it is.

not it's not.

The Co-op is a consumers cooperative. It's wholey in the ethos of the festival.

Being of a size where it's comparable with corporations and needs access to corporate services (and sometimes gets dazzled by the corporate world in which it mixes) doesn't alter that.

8 minutes ago, stuartbert two hats said:

Sounds to me like Michael might have been weaving his magic to the benefit of the village, again.

3 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Imagine this will make a lot of people happy if they sell booze

They sold alcohol at latitide , it was just outside the main gate on the way back to the campsite so a welcome stop on the way 'home' .... The co-op was the only entertainment when the site closed (about 3am from memory) , I think we went in there one night just to keep the party going for another 10 minutes :-)

I like this. As large scale grocery chains go (Crystal Methodist and related scandals aside, which was the banking side anyway, I think), it is as ethical as you can get in a grocery chain of that scale. It's also rooted in the working-class co-operative society movement of old. Also, if I can buy some cereal to feed my boy with and not shell out for bacon sarnies every morning, it will help my budget a great deal

Surprised nobody has pointed this out yet - but they did have one before - definitely in 2004 and I think at least 1 or 2 other years, in association with the LeftField.

I remember it because it was a bit cheaper than most places on site (as was the one at Latitude last year).

Wasn't there a news agents style stall/shop a few years ago between Williams Green and west holts? Or have I completely imagined it? I can't honestly fathom out if it was real or not- I think I bought some pop and biscuits... (I'm not talking about the standard shop stall that's always there) 

Don't remember seeing it since! 

21 minutes ago, Funkyfairy! said:

They sold alcohol at latitide , it was just outside the main gate on the way back to the campsite so a welcome stop on the way 'home' .... The co-op was the only entertainment when the site closed (about 3am from memory) , I think we went in there one night just to keep the party going for another 10 minutes ?

It looks like they did chilled ready meals at latitude,, now all I need to know is what size battery do you need for a microwave in a tent.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, chatty said:

If they sell cold tinnies at £12 for eight cans then they will be the most popular shop there.

I'm not sure about the exact prices (they were closer to regular retail prices than to festival prices), but they did something along those lines at Latitude.

Except that the "cold" part fell over a bit given the volume they were doing - the cans didn't stay in the fridges long enough for it to make any real difference.

• Like 1