jj200

2020 headliners

Didn’t @eFestivals hear they were asked to do 2019 and declined it? Probably not for ulterior reasons, their tour was way beyond wrapped up by June.

12 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

Let's not forget that for the 40th anniversary in 2010 the headliners would have been U2, Muse and Stevie Wonder had all gone to plan (don't get me started on Gorillaz)

Which would have been the strongest set of headliners in the festival's history given popularity / status of each of them at that time.

If you're thinking for the 50th anniversary we're going to have Kasabian headline with all due respect you're off your head.

So next year is gonna be the biggest set of Glastonbury headliners of all time? Just because of the anniversary? Just because it’ll be 2020 and the festival started in 1970, all of the appropriate acts who can make this the biggest set of headliners in the festival’s history will be willing to play - this is what you’re saying?

I think at the most they might phone up someone who might not otherwise be touring but that will be it.

All reasonable responses. I may have misinterpreted the overall feelings towards AM and was intrigued by the hostility. 

I agree that the bands attitude towards performing live and also their attitude towards playing the crowd pleasers does not necessarily lend itself to being a great headliner, but they do turn it up for the big occasions I think (e.g. TRNSMT 2018). 

So long as we get one of FM, Reg, The Kinks or AM I will be over the moon. 

18 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Greetings Mr Turner.

Mr Kane, actually. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 2020 Vision said:

All reasonable responses. I may have misinterpreted the overall feelings towards AM and was intrigued by the hostility. 

I agree that the bands attitude towards performing live and also their attitude towards playing the crowd pleasers does not necessarily lend itself to being a great headliner, but they do turn it up for the big occasions I think (e.g. TRNSMT 2018). 

Nah man ignore the subjective opinions of the users on this board AM are a massive headliner and a massive ticket seller and they could without a doubt headline again soon, it just depends on if they are touring or not.

30 minutes ago, Room to sway said:

why would you then have multiple white-boys-with-guitars bands headlining? Imagine the pushback on that.

You make it sound like white boys with guitars aren't the norm.

24 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think at the most they might phone up someone who might not otherwise be touring but that will be it.

Glastonbury don't even reach out to the properly big artists, do they? It's like, if they're interested then they contact the festival - I'm sure it's not always the case but I think that's what Neil has said in the past.

I am a little worried about these rocketing expectations for next year though. Maybe not so much on here but Glastonbury could serve up a perfectly reasonable set of headliners and it'll get absolutely savaged on social media because of how entitled some will feel about the anniversary and what to expect. It seems like one of the bits of that Emily dreads facing year-on-year, and she hasn't really hyped 2020 up except saying that they are booking acts for it already, and we are building it up in our own minds because of that. Some people might need to take a step back and be a bit more fair-minded about the whole thing.

Edited by dentalplan

7 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Glastonbury don't even reach out to the properly big artists, do they? It's like, if they're interested then they contact the festival - I'm sure it's not always the case but I think that's what Neil has said in the past.

I am a little worried about these rocketing expectations for next year though. Maybe not so much on here but Glastonbury could serve up a perfectly reasonable set of headliners and it'll get absolutely savaged on social media because of how entitled some will feel about the anniversary and what to expect. It seems like one of the bits of that Emily dreads facing year-on-year, and she hasn't really hyped 2020 up except saying that they are booking acts for it already, and we are building it up in our own minds because of that. Some people might need to take a step back and be a bit more fair-minded about the whole thing.

I think the acts suggested in this thread have been pretty reasonable by and large. You are right though, they’ll be some out there expecting a trio of Oasis, Zeppelin and the ghost of Hendrix.

22 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

the ghost of Hendrix

Singing VoooooOoooooh!-DoooooOoooooooh! Chile

Edited by CaledonianGonzo

4 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Singing VoooooOoooooh!-DoooooOoooooooh! Chile

Get it booked Eavis!!

2 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Get it booked Eavis!!

Even an immediately pre-death Hendrix spectre, gargling on ghostly vomit for 90 minutes, would improve on the prospect of Kasabian.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

I didn’t actually have a big artist in mind when I thought that. I was thinking someone old timer (not necessarily a headliner) being phoned up for an odd set.

Not Morissey but acts like that.

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

Didn’t @eFestivals hear they were asked to do 2019 and declined it? 

someone told me they were offered it.

Nothing of that story fits with other stuff i'm believing to be true tho, so I don't think it happened.

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

So next year is gonna be the biggest set of Glastonbury headliners of all time? Just because of the anniversary? Just because it’ll be 2020 and the festival started in 1970, all of the appropriate acts who can make this the biggest set of headliners in the festival’s history will be willing to play - this is what you’re saying?

The headliners for the 50th anniversary will be stronger than any year since the 40th if not stronger than what would have been had U2 been there.

Not an odd assumption to make surely?

It's a milestone. Kasabian don't fit the bill. 

14 minutes ago, JoeyT said:

The headliners for the 50th anniversary will be stronger than any year since the 40th if not stronger than what would have been had U2 been there.

I think dental’s point mate is they can only book who they can. If Fleetwood, Elton whatever tell them no, there’s not much glasto can do about it.

37 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I think dental’s point mate is they can only book who they can. If Fleetwood, Elton whatever tell them no, there’s not much glasto can do about it.

I agree however what I'm trying to say is if ever there was a year to get some acts who are that bit more special than the normal crop then next year is the one.

Just now, JoeyT said:

I agree however what I'm trying to say is if ever there was a year to get some acts who are that bit more special than the normal crop then next year is the one.

They'll go for the best they can get every year.

55 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

They'll go for the best they can get every year.

Exactly, 2020 will be like any other year. Some years are stronger than others but that’s not because of who glasto has tried to book, some years like 2017 or 2016 there are a lot of major bands/acts touring.

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Can never tell if you've got tongue in cheek or not, but....

There are some exceptions to this, right?  Springsteen got the personalised type approach to convince him to do it, no?

15 hours ago, dentalplan said:

This is exactly why we can't have nice things. Pretty sure it's not what Berners Lee had in mind.

Taylor Swift

Fleetwood Mac

The 1975

Legend: Elton

Special slot at one point for Spice Girls too

That's my strongest prediction at the moment...

15 hours ago, JoeyT said:

the headliners will be whoever is available to book, same as always.

There may or may not be headliners who want to do it specifically because it's the 50th. 

Wasn’t it suggested Arctics disappeared fairly quickly after the album to record another after the divisive reaction to TBHC? It was unusual there was no large outdoor gig in the U.K. after all the rumours.

For what it’s worth the Tranquility tour was the best I’ve seen them by a long way.

Edited by Mouseboy11