2020 headliners

jj200

It has most likely been put here before, but I just found these quotes with regards to The 1975 headlining, I had seen Matty's comment before but not Emily's reply can we read anything into this? Are comments like this made a lot by Emily? And yes I know about the last 2 headliners having never played the festival, but I am still in the camp that believe that may not be 100% accurate

Asked in December last year whether The 1975 are ready to headline Glastonbury, frontman Matty Healy said: “Yeah, I think we are. I know that we are. Glastonbury, give us a year.”

Emily Eavis responded soon after Healy’s initial comments, saying: “That’s good. Interesting. They’re great. Obviously we’d love to have The 1975.”

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Talking about The Strokes now isn’t he?

Yeah sorry wasn't very clear :) 

4 minutes ago, thewayiam said:

I guess that now, they'll never play and I highly doubt they'll be outright headlining Reading like suggested by some either, if they do then the festival have struggled.

They co-headlined in 2011 was it and have done nothing to grow from them, the only thing they have done is toured infrequently to create demand through scarcity. After playing a show this year (APE) the demand isn't even close enough to warrant a solo-headline I think. The Other Stage headline would suit the well but its just a question of if they would take it - my guess is probably not.

1 hour ago, priest17 said:

Is Damon doing a new project next year? You'd think he'd be about in some form. It'd be a waste getting Blur to do a secret show when they're clearly so good at headlining, I'd love Gorillaz to headline Other or something, I realise this is incredibly unlikely for a number of reasons.

Damon is touring this Icelandic waterfall project, or whatever it is, in April/May next year so you’re far more likely to see that than Gorillaz or Blur. He won’t get either band together to play a major stage on Glasto’s 50th without adequate rehearsal time.

Looks like we'll get a year off completely!!

In an interview with the BBC’s Colin Paterson – aired on BBC Breakfast and Radio 5 Live on Thursday (November 21) – the pair discussed Coldplay’s upcoming double album ‘Everyday Life’.

When asked if there is any chance Coldplay will be playing Glastonbury’s 50th anniversary in 2020, Martin said: “No. I did pop up on stage last year [Glastonbury 2019], and then I saw a tweet afterwards that said ‘you can always rely on him [Chris Martin] to come on in a tracksuit and ruin everything…'”

He continued:  “So I was like, you know what, A- I should work on my trousers, and B- I shouldn’t be online, and C- may I should go watch Glastonbury for a year or so…”

11 minutes ago, The Martini Police said:

I feel the roasting of Chris Martin falls more on the side of mild yet oddly affectionate ribbing rather than outright hostility. It's hard to hate him too much as ultimately he's just a massive Glasto nerd like the rest of us, the key difference being he has the means to get himself onto that stage every year, and who among us wouldn't?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

You mean back in 2011 when they were basically accepting anything as long as it paid?

They seem rather more selective now in terms of fee.

They’ll have a new record to promote. The Strokes finally playing Glastonbury would be great promotion for that, an Other stage headline would be perfect. A legacy act with a huge following up against a current megastar like Swift would make a great alternative

10 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

They’ll have a new record to promote. The Strokes finally playing Glastonbury would be great promotion for that, an Other stage headline would be perfect. A legacy act with a huge following up against a current megastar like Swift would make a great alternative

well, they might do. or they might just do a load of festivals with nothing new to promote, because they want the paychecks, just like this year.

25 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I feel the roasting of Chris Martin falls more on the side of mild yet oddly affectionate ribbing rather than outright hostility. It's hard to hate him too much as ultimately he's just a massive Glasto nerd like the rest of us, the key difference being he has the means to get himself onto that stage every year, and who among us wouldn't?

You're worried he's reading it, aren't you?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, ghostdancer1 said:

well, they might do. or they might just do a load of festivals with nothing new to promote, because they want the paychecks, just like this year.

Their guitarist basically confirmed theirs a record next year. And even if they do just want paychecks, they’d be a great other stage headliner 

59 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I hope so. It sounded like he took the tweet he mentioned in good humour. But I bet he (like anyone in the public eye) has been on the receiving end of the most appalling insults and threats.

One of the reasons I am more vocal about my enthusiasm for Coldplay is that it does offer a counterpoint to all the 'hate' CM gets around these parts.