2020 headliners

jj200

This whole Emily is making it a pop festival Statement is ridiculous. In the last ten years she’s helped secure the likes of Stevie Wonder, U2, Rolling Stones, Arcade Fire, Metallica, The Who, Radiohead and The Cure alongside the likes of Muse, Arctic Monkeys, Killers and Foo Fighters... hardly your Capital FM A-list

sure there’s been pop acts, but that reflects the wider change in popular music rather than a shift in the festival. If you’re booking the worlds biggest contemporary music festival and you’re offered one of the biggest acts in the world right now, why would you turn it down for a repeat headline slot from a band that’s just rehashing their last performance? 

29 minutes ago, jparx said:

Lady Gaga is a bit out of the blue. Those types of rumours tend to just be the echo chamber, but I haven't seen anyone mention Gaga for next year. 

Doesn't fit with the clues though, so unless Emily was either lying or forgot Gaga had played before, seems inaccurate to me.

Appreciate any and all info atm though!

Didn't she have fire coming out of her breasts or something? Quite hard to forget (unless I just made that up).

I'm hotly anticipating an eFestivals shift into less exciting acts that are discussed for no better reason than the more exciting acts are, until somebody with no reason to believe whatsoever throws a new rumour into the mix about one of the more exciting acts we were discussing before, then we can go back to getting our hopes up again, until the official announcement wows us all with the undercard anyway. Looking forward to that bit.

Lady Gaga is deep into her Vegas residency and it would be really bizarre to see her play when it’s not part of a wider tour. She’l play eventually but I’d find it really strange if she was booked when nothing major was in the pipeline. I’ve just had a look and there’s nothing to really indicate she’s recording an album right now.

25 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Lady Gaga is deep into her Vegas residency and it would be really bizarre to see her play when it’s not part of a wider tour. She’l play eventually but I’d find it really strange if she was booked when nothing major was in the pipeline. I’ve just had a look and there’s nothing to really indicate she’s recording an album right now.

Other than the fact she has been consistently teasing herself being in the studio and releasing instrumental snippets for her makeup line promo...

Tho I agree, I can't see her being booked. Doesnt fit emily's clue and would be very odd to have her and T Swiz in the same year. Plus I cant really see her dropping her new music till her residency ends (which isn till spring next year I think?) and she is probably busy filming that Ridley Scott film at the moment to worry about doing album promo. Hopefully for 2021 though (as long as I can get a ticket)

Paul Mccartney on French radio said this about Glastonbury apparently

'"Ça va prendre beaucoup de temps pour m'éloigner de toi. Il n'y a rien qu'une centaine d'hommes ou plus puisse faire. Je bénis les pluies en Afrique. Je vais prendre le temps de faire les choses que nous n'avons jamais eues."

Edited by august1
  • Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, august1 said:

Paul Mccartney on French radio said this about Glastonbury apparently

'"Ça va prendre beaucoup de temps pour m'éloigner de toi. Il n'y a rien qu'une centaine d'hommes ou plus puisse faire. Je bénis les pluies en Afrique. Je vais prendre le temps de faire les choses que nous n'avons jamais eues."

What's the translation? I'm assuming what I just got from Google translator isn't right, unless he's gone on a Cantona rant

22 minutes ago, mufcok said:

What's the translation? I'm assuming what I just got from Google translator isn't right, unless he's gone on a Cantona rant

The guy is clearly just trolling you so you put it into google and it comes back "jet fuel can't melt steel beams" or w/e

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

Lady Gaga is deep into her Vegas residency and it would be really bizarre to see her play when it’s not part of a wider tour.

I actually think it'd make a fair amount of sense for her to do it without a tour.

The Vegas shows mean that she and her crew are already employed and rehearsed and so ready to put on a cracking show if they want. If she still doesn't want to go out on the road for a full blown tour, then a Glastonbury headline performance would be one of the more effective "one shot" ways of reminding people (especially in the UK, but the coverage goes all over Europe and to an extent beyond) what she can do - much as she played the Superbowl halftime show a couple years ago.

6 hours ago, morph100 said:

I am silly and speculative which is why I’m here ?

kendrick also bookies fave now, which just means some people have bet on him but maybe they know......maybe they don’t 

I’m going 81% now for no reason other than I’m eating a roast chicken later (not blue, yellow or hung)

Is it chicken season already?

FWIW I think the chances of Kendrick are less than 81%.

• Like 1

I also can’t think of a band who has made it in the last 10 years who is convincingly big enough or has broad enough appeal to headline. But I do think a band is likely.

So two outside shots from me:

Franz Ferdinand

The Libertines

For either it would be a leg up maybe based on recent output but both have a fair back catalogue of bangers and still play big gigs/big festival slots whenever they tour. The libs did the festival a favour in 2015 and went down a storm.

I think either would be less surprising and better received than the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Foals.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Franz_Ferdinand/status/1196113167723761664

2 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

I also can’t think of a band who has made it in the last 10 years who is convincingly big enough or has broad enough appeal to headline. But I do think a band is likely.

Franz Ferdinand

The Libertines

For either it would be a leg up maybe based on recent output but both have a fair back catalogue of bangers and still play big gigs/big festival slots whenever they tour. The libs did the festival a favour in 2015 and went down a storm.

I think either would be less surprising and better received than the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Foals.

I really like Franz but they'd be more likely to open the Other than close the Pyramid at this point.

5 minutes ago, mattiloy said:

Franz Ferdinand

The Libertines

Neither are in a position to play any higher than third down on Pyramid. This is the 2020 festival we're talking about, not 2010.

• Upvote 1