jj200

2020 headliners

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

We had a good idea it was Arctic Monkeys, Rolling Stones, Mumford & Sons but I think we didn’t want to get our hopes up. It got to the point where so much stones info was flying out that we had to believe it.

I was lurking back then and recall a forum entirely united in its refusal to believe that Mumford & Sons we’re headlining right up until the poster came out. It was a beautiful, miraculous and stubborn refusal to accept the inevitable.

The Stones TBC was a huge moment after months of ‘Will they, won’t they’.

14 hours ago, jparx said:

I don't think RHCP are that bad at all, they're just BEYOND past it at this point. 

As a guitarist you have to appreciate a lot of Frusciante's work. At his best he was one of the greats IMO. The band wrapped around him never did much for me, but it's worth drudging through some of their stuff for Frusciante gems. Under the Bridge remains one of my favourite tracks to jam along to. 

They would only be worth seeing for Frusciante, so it's a big fat no from me.

This is exactly it, they've not got it anymore but it can't be denied they've produced some cracking music. Being a bad live act at the time doesn't make the band and music themselves bad.

6 hours ago, Mark H said:

I was lurking back then and recall a forum entirely united in its refusal to believe that Mumford & Sons we’re headlining right up until the poster came out. It was a beautiful, miraculous and stubborn refusal to accept the inevitable.

Also remember them releasing the lineup on the radio that year. 

I went to see Lizzo in Brixton last night and she was amazing. I don't think she's quite ready for the Pyramid yet, but I think with another album she could be up there.

20 minutes ago, wonker said:

I went to see Lizzo in Brixton last night and she was amazing. I don't think she's quite ready for the Pyramid yet, but I think with another album she could be up there.

Headline? Not for quite awhile. 

1 hour ago, wonker said:

Has she got a live band backing her? I'm not a fan of singers performing with backing tracks. Nothing can beat the energy and spontaneity of real musicians.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Because nobody gives a flying fuck about Billy Joel.  Even Billy Joel doesn't give a flying fuck about Billie Joel.

My Mum does. After a glass or wine or so she pronounces it Billy Joe-EL

14 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

he passes the mum test billy joe-el confirmed

20 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Nothing can beat the energy and spontaneity of real musicians.

Which is, of course, why people were talking breathlessly about The Wombats' set after this year's festival.

• Like 1

Just now, Winslow Leach said:

Which is, of course, why people were talking breathlessly about The Wombats' set after this year's festival.

Indeed. But to appreciate this, you have to imagine what the Wombats would be like if they were standing there singing to backing tracks. If you can.

Just now, maelzoid said:

you have to imagine what the Wombats would be like if they were standing there singing to backing tracks.

On the other hand, no you don't.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Has she got a live band backing her? I'm not a fan of singers performing with backing tracks. Nothing can beat the energy and spontaneity of real musicians.

Nope, just dancers on this tour, but I can see her getting a backing band setup.

28 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

His name is Jo-EL I have a dream about him, he rings my bell

My god...it's like you know her!

Seriously though, if Mr Joe-EL and Diana Ross were booked in the same weekend I would never hear the fucking end of it.

1 hour ago, Sasperella said:

He’s Superman’s dad?

9 hours ago, Mark H said:

We haven’t had a good “will they won’t they?” for a few years now.

Last good one was Adele and the various suggestions that she wouldn’t do it because she was scared of the crowd and/or would sub instead.

(The logic of why a woman scared of massive crowds would play when it was light and she could see the gargantuan crowd was never fully explained)

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

(The logic of why a woman scared of massive crowds would play when it was light and she could see the gargantuan crowd was never fully explained)

Well it's so obvious it hardly needs explaining. Are you saying you don't get it? 

8 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

We haven’t had a good “will they won’t they?” for a few years now.

Last good one was Adele and the various suggestions that she wouldn’t do it because she was scared of the crowd and/or would sub instead.

I'm sure that year the line was she was subbing Radiohead

How do we not know more info by now?? 

Stormzy did come more or less out of the blue though last year, didn't he? So I guess at this point last year the only thing we had was The Cures tour dates, which is basically the same this year with Taylor. 

It just feels like a barren wasteland of intel!

5 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

How do we not know more info by now?? 

Stormzy did come more or less out of the blue though last year, didn't he? So I guess at this point last year the only thing we had was The Cures tour dates, which is basically the same this year with Taylor. 

It just feels like a barren wasteland of intel!

I think there had been a few murmurings around Stormzy before he was announced. I remember it not coming as a huge shock.

Yeah there was rumours of Stormzy for a while but dismissed because everybody thought he wasn't big enough/not released a new album and played the last fest.

Stormy had the Instagram post about Jay Z/Noel at Glastonbury about September time IIRC, put him slightly in the running alebit from the outside at that point

Edited by CJTM

If Stormzy wasn’t announced until March I think we wouldn’t have had a clue. I thought he was considered the Friday sub for a while until he was announced as Friday headliner.