jj200

2020 headliners

8 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

https://www.efestivals.co.uk/news/07/070123a.shtml

Other information revealed by Martin Elbourne (the man who books the bands for Glastonbury's Pyramid, Other, and John Peel stages) is that [...] Glastonbury turned down an approach from the Red Hot Chili Peppers even though they offered to perform for free.

Based on a recent conversation eFestivals had with Glastonbury organiser Michael Eavis, this decision isn't likely to be a snub to RHCP, but simply an issue of being unable to schedule such a big band into the line-up when all the top slots had already been filled. Michael Eavis has previously revealed that Justin Timberlake had to be turned away for this reason.

It's a bit strange that they offered to play for free yet (as far as we know) there doesn't seem to be any sign of either the band or the festival trying to make things work since then. Saying that, I've just checked and they've only toured during the fallow year in 2012 and 2016 when the headliners seemed to be sorted quite early on. That Italian festival falling right in the middle of Isle of Wight weekend is worrying me slightly, though I think BST would still be more likely than Glastonbury.

41 minutes ago, TownesMR said:

Just to pull a headliner out of the air, but someone I've never seen mentioned before. Billy Joel?

37 minutes ago, Guy Incognito said:

This is the point at which the thread peaked. 

31 minutes ago, Deaf Nobby Burton said:

You’ve answered your own question.

Why is this out of the equation?

4 minutes ago, kingcrawler said:

It's a bit strange that they offered to play for free yet (as far as we know) there doesn't seem to be any sign of either the band or the festival trying to make things work since then. Saying that, I've just checked and they've only toured during the fallow year in 2012 and 2016 when the headliners seemed to be sorted quite early on. That Italian festival falling right in the middle of Isle of Wight weekend is worrying me slightly, though I think BST would still be more likely than Glastonbury.

I've heard conflicting stories one that RHCP wanted to do Glastonbury in 2016 and ended up at IOW as there wasn't room to play/any interest in them playing that year from Glastonbury. The other version was RHCP were never interested in Glastonbury and IOW was always the plan. I think London Stadium might be more likely than BST unless they fancy the return to Hyde Park 16 years after their big solo shows there.

8 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

People have heard Eavis say that he wouldn't ever book RHCP after 1993 (sadly)

RHCP being in Europe if it's a full tour will very likely result in BST/IOW or a couple of nights in the London Stadium in my opinion.

At his talk in this year at the acoustic he mentioned not being very forgiving when it comes to bands pulling out and seemed to reference the early 90's a big name at the time dropped him in it. 

6 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Wasn't Stormzy announced in November last year?

Are we likely to get a headliner this month?

Nope Emily said in a recent interview nothing till the new year. 

• Like 1

Just finished the book and the vibes from Mikey is that they'd be happy to have U2 back. Don't think I'd be too surprised if they returned in the next couple of years. 

27 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

People have heard Eavis say that he wouldn't ever book RHCP after 1993 (sadly)

RHCP being in Europe if it's a full tour will very likely result in BST/IOW or a couple of nights in the London Stadium in my opinion.

Chilis are in Italy on the IOW Saturday so that's unlikely. BST a good shout though. I can't think of anything worse - simply the worst place to see live music in this country.

25 minutes ago, _JohnConnell said:

Why is this out of the equation?

Because nobody gives a flying fuck about Billy Joel.  Even Billy Joel doesn't give a flying fuck about Billie Joel.

440 pages and no news is mad.

Just need secretglasto to reply to a private account saying 'its deffo them headlining' and watch everyone scramble as it says tweet unavailable..

44 minutes ago, robillustrates said:

Also this thread is heading to the point where I bet people will feel let down by who is announced compared to who is available around the same time because it doesn't suit their preferences.

You mean every headliner thread for the last 20 years?

Big Bill J still fills the stadiums to pay the bills! He'll not be anywhere near Glastonbury. He's headliner material though.

• Upvote 1

One of my correspondents has sent me this 

Screenshot_20191107-212111.thumb.png.4753c8d77643b157c3297954de4f7aff.png

Wonder if he's one of the mythical lurkers... Judging by his ineptitude in the sales he's not an effective one if so

29 minutes ago, Badlands said:

Just finished the book and the vibes from Mikey is that they'd be happy to have U2 back. Don't think I'd be too surprised if they returned in the next couple of years. 

I got weird vibes from U2 about Glastonbury - much as I loved them kicking off with 5 Achtung Baby songs in a row (Joshua Tree's fine but AB's their best album), its a gig that felt like it wasn't able to meet the hype. I did see Bono blaming his wrong footwear and a suggestion they thought the Pyramid Stage was too far from the audience, which I'm aware to some level feels like blame shifting for a gig that was fine and did have a few good moments but not as amazing as I think hoped for. Though I think its their own fault for scheduling it on a Friday night between Wednesday and Sunday night shows in the USA.

Be cool if they did it while fresh. I saw them at London O2 in 2015 and thought they were awesome. Where the Streets Have No Name live is a proper belter.

27 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Chilis are in Italy on the IOW Saturday so that's unlikely. BST a good shout though. I can't think of anything worse - simply the worst place to see live music in this country.

A suggestion I saw in another thread of the London Olympic Stadium might be a better shout, given the sound at Hyde Park for venues is iffy we're being generous. But I wouldn't be surprised if BST HP has the moolah associated with gigs there.

4 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

This is utterly mesmerising...

Great stuff. Would like to watch a corresponding video of the moment efesties began to sigh as the legends gave way to the, shall we say, less accomplished acts. For me, it was watching Flo Rida’s ascent. 

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

He specifically said he would like U2 to have another crack at it at the thing he did a yeovil literary festival last week.

2 hours ago, robillustrates said:

Also this thread is heading to the point where I bet people will feel let down by who is announced compared to who is available around the same time because it doesn't suit their preferences.

For a few days and then we'll discuss all the other goodies in the line up and state that glastonbury 2020 was the best one yet. 

I saw no one on the Pyramid this year and it was one of my favourite ones. 

I’l never forget that day that the Rolling Stones became TBC on the rumour page. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

I’l never forget that day that the Rolling Stones became TBC on the rumour page. 

I wish I was here for that nonsense. What were the pages like before it? Did you all have an idea? 

5 hours ago, GrumpyRaver said:

It's not a thesis mate, just a bit of fun.  

I know, but these charts and graphs want to correct, so they should use the correct data. 

1 hour ago, chazwwe said:

I wish I was here for that nonsense. What were the pages like before it? Did you all have an idea? 

We had a good idea it was Arctic Monkeys, Rolling Stones, Mumford & Sons but I think we didn’t want to get our hopes up. It got to the point where so much stones info was flying out that we had to believe it.

I think once the mods on IORR (probably the best source for Stones news) said that they were doing Glastonbury - then we truly started to believe it. Not long after Neil put them as TBC.