2020 headliners

jj200

45 minutes ago, wrongturn said:

Hmmm - could warrant an expansion of the pyramid field, no? 

The expansion of the pyramid field is an interesting point.  Now the only people that warrant that happening are the headliners and legend spot.  With EE stating that the other headliners are bigger than usual surely that means there would normally be a bigger shift to the other stage, wouldn’t it?! 

Does this mean that the names they have for the Pyramid spots are massive?? (I’m still trying to talk myself into it being Macca)

19 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Apparently the big band ‘worthy of the delay’ for Grasspop is not being announced just yet. This band is thought to be AC/DC.

I’d love it to be but I just can’t see it. Notoriously business driven operation that takes no prisoners. Love the band but they play huge shows for major dollar and I can’t see that changing. Unless someone has finally come to their senses and is taking notice of the post glasto boost to sales and profile.

Just now, jow95 said:

I’d love it to be but I just can’t see it. Notoriously business driven operation that takes no prisoners. Love the band but they play huge shows for major dollar and I can’t see that changing. Unless someone has finally come to their senses and is taking notice of the post glasto boost to sales and profile.

Who else could be a big band playing it realistically worth the hype.

3 minutes ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Who else could be a big band playing it realistically worth the hype.

Well exactly, every act you would consider in that bracket I would give a reason of why I don’t think it will be them but at the same time lm confident it will be one of them?

4 minutes ago, mcshed said:

The didn't need to extend the field last time U2 played and they are comfortably bigger than GnR, Aerosmith, Depeche Mode, and Rage.

I don't think they would need to extend the field for many acts. 

Stones, FM, Led Zep, AC/DC (at a push)?

And we know 2 of them have been ruled out.

Edited by Doug85

5 minutes ago, jparx said:

I really don't think they're extending the field for a headliner. There's gonna be someone playing earlier in the day (Coldplay?) who will draw a huge crowd imo.

This is what I think. The quote was in reference to the size of Kylie’s crowd.

I think at headliner time the pyramid field can handle anything because there’s more competition. Put a big pop act / someone like Aerosmith at 6pm and you’ve gotta work really hard to stop 100,000 people from descending on the field. There’s less viable competition during the day to keep the crowds down. If Coldplay are doing an early set on the pyramid I can see the motivation behind extending the field. At headliner time, the pyramid can handle it.

57 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Apparently the big band ‘worthy of the delay’ for Grasspop is not being announced just yet. This band is thought to be AC/DC.

I ultimately don't care who headlines, I'm not really the target audience but surely that would be drivel in the extreme? 

1 minute ago, RaphPH said:

There's also rumours that Stones are playing Twickenham in summer...

and didn't @eFestivals Neil claim that his "good source" had The Stones down (albeit with Led Zeppelin)?

Realistically they could have asked all 3 knowing they could never get all 3 however if 1 of them show interest then they could in theory go all out and get them if they wished. Just depends if The Stones have any appetite to do it again. 

4 minutes ago, RaphPH said:

There's also rumours that Stones are playing Twickenham in summer...

and didn't @eFestivals Neil claim that his "good source" had The Stones down (albeit with Led Zeppelin)?

The rumour is that they are doing twick on sun 28th and july 4th. It doesn’t rule them out but I’m not sure the stones do consecutive gigs.

1 hour ago, Matt42 said:

I'd be stunned if AC/DC did it. They are very much their own band. At their last download appearance they took their own stage and didn't allow their name on the festival merch. I'd love it if they played (especially if Brian is back) they are one of my all time fave live bands but I don't see it. Still good to have them in the mix though 

2 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

The rumour is that they are doing twick on sun 28th and july 4th. It doesn’t rule them out but I’m not sure the stones do consecutive gigs.

They don't do back to back gigs, i'd imagine they would need time to recover (more so micks vocals). However they could do the Friday and then play Twickenham on the Sunday. 

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

They don't do back to back gigs, i'd imagine they would need time to recover (more so micks vocals). However they could do the Friday and then play Twickenham on the Sunday. 

That’s a good point ? for some reason I thought that Friday was unavailable because Kendrick is the Friday headliner. Kendrick could easily be the Saturday headliner.

Also re Aerosmith - they might be happy playing the rock slot if they are playing below the Rolling Stones.

Also the Rolling Stones (yet to be confirmed) would make sense as well due to the insurance fact I learned the other day. Rolling Stones could easily give a verbal agreement (like they did in 2013) and sign the dotted line much closer to the fest.

8 minutes ago, Hotchilidog said:

I'd be stunned if AC/DC did it. They are very much their own band. At their last download appearance they took their own stage and didn't allow their name on the festival merch. I'd love it if they played (especially if Brian is back) they are one of my all time fave live bands but I don't see it. Still good to have them in the mix though 

God I forgot about that. Those t shirts look so odd with Them Crooked Vultures as headliner.

What a fucking obtuse demand. I love AC/DC but looking back their handling of that Download show was pretty poor. They did smash their set, but for a band who have such history at Donington it was a bit pathetic.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, jparx said:

God I forgot about that. Those t shirts look so odd with Them Crooked Vultures as headliner.

What a fucking obtuse demand. I love AC/DC but looking back their handling of that Download show was pretty poor. They did smash their set, but for a band who have such history at Donington it was a bit pathetic.

Then again - they didn’t do this for Coachella in 2015.

maybe things have changed internally.

Rolling Stones are an awful idea I think. For them to eventually do it after a long career, and for them to pull it off so well, I cant see any reason for them, or the Festival to do it again so soon. Makes little sense really.

Re Macca - I know Emilys husband said he wasn't doing it, do we have precedent for his statement? I know Michaels likes a spurious tale and Emily plays a straight bat, but who knows? Maybe if its under wraps then telling the owner of e-Fests might not as been considered a good plan?

3 minutes ago, ClementsMike said:

Rolling Stones are an awful idea I think. For them to eventually do it after a long career, and for them to pull it off so well, I cant see any reason for them, or the Festival to do it again so soon. Makes little sense really.

Oh aye, booking one of the biggest bands of all time whilst they still can makes little sense.

This place is mental sometimes

• Upvote 1