2020 headliners

jj200

Rage are big enough to headline Glastonbury. They're popular enough to headline Glastonbury. They have a set of songs that, whilst would probably baffle many, is good enough to headline Glastonbury. Their ethos matches that of Glastonbury. They've already played Glastonbury 

All that said, I'm just saying they won't be headlining, or appearing at, Glastonbury next year.

Would love to be proven wrong (and I often am about these kinds of things) but I'm pretty confident I won't be.

Edited by FloorFiller
  • Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Okie dokie, walk down your street and ask passersbys if they can sing bulls on parade, guerrilla radio and testify back to you.

And how many Metallica songs are they gonna be able to sing me? The difference is when they hear them, and Wake Up for that matter, they’ll go “oh yeh, I know this one...” as opposed to looking absolutely vacant.

1 minute ago, FloorFiller said:

Rage are big enough to headline Glastonbury. They're popular enough to headline Glastonbury. They have a set of songs that, whilst would probably baffle many, is good enough to headline Glastonbury. Their ethos matches that of Glastonbury. They've already played Glastonbury 

All that said, I'm just saying they won't be headlining, or appearing at, Glastonbury next year.

Would love to be proven wrong (and I often am about these kinds of things) but I'm pretty confident I won't be.

This is where I am.... it would be mega if they did though

3 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

And how many Metallica songs are they gonna be able to sing me? The difference is when they hear them, and Wake Up for that matter, they’ll go “oh yeh, I know this one...” as opposed to looking absolutely vacant.

read the posts mate, i'm not wasting my time for some reason defending metallica.

15 minutes ago, GETOFFAMYLAWN said:

Loads of people, including me, will only know Killing In The Name. Fair enough if you want them to headline, there's an argument there that maybe that could, but trying to say they have more than one hit isn't it lads.

You need to stop dunking on yourself on this forum my dude.

33 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

RATM have one song, and that's because of a bit of a quirk.

I'm not questionning their ability or whatever, I just think that outside particular circles, they don't have the same cultural clout here that they have in the US. But whatever, I've been wrong many times before.

Jaysus Crist ?

1 minute ago, GrumpyRaver said:

You brought them into this - you tell me.

erm... i didn't. Literally never said the word metallica until this post

21 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Stormzy is the figurehead of the leading genre of music to come out of Britain in the last decade and passed the 'mom test', besides, it wasn't me that initially talked about songs that your average joe knows - I was pretty much saying that your point that the public would struggle to name one or two metallica songs would probably apply to RATM too

13 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

You could make an argument that every band “only has one song”.

Radiohead only have creep!

Honestly probably just wearing fannongoggles but rage are a very very important band. They made a huge mark politically and influenced so many that came after them. They mean a lot to a lot of people (including me).

Radiohead had 13 top 20 singles, RATM had 3. I’d put them in the same bracket as Pearl Jam - large, devoted fanbase, but I doubt if many in a generic Glastonbury crowd would know more than a few songs. It’s entirely different when they play festivals in which their fans can choose to buy tickets.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

So you're saying They Ain't Gonna Play on Michael's Farm No More?

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Can people honestly say that RATM have more than one song in the mainstream music conciousness here in the UK?

I get your point but at the time if you were listening you couldn't ignore them. Maybe have a listen and see how you get on. 

People forgetting Prophets Of Rage were charging £70+ for tickets at Brixton a year or two back. Despite the politics it's the cash that's always been at the heart of it. Seems bizarre for it to come so out of the blue though especially given as there seemed to be Prophets shows booked in the future. Must have been a hell of an offer from Coachella 

1 minute ago, Slugworth said:

I get your point but at the time if you were listening you couldn't ignore them. Maybe have a listen and see how you get on. 

lol, I'm well aware of RATM. As I said, in none of my post have I made any comment on the ability of RATM, I just don't think they will headline glastonbury in 2020 but then again, I very well may be wrong.

9 minutes ago, kingbadger said:

Fuck it, 3rd down Pyramid. Just to add ridiculousness to the debate, Emily was really excited to have a big act in the metal slot. Why not them? Would be insane but I'd say for Glastonbury they're more suited to that than headlining the Pyramid. 

Emily mentioned pushing the Pyramid field back to accommodate special guests. Rage playing 3rd down Pyramid could be a reason why.

16 minutes ago, henry bear said:

Radiohead had 13 top 20 singles, RATM had 3. I’d put them in the same bracket as Pearl Jam - large, devoted fanbase, but I doubt if many in a generic Glastonbury crowd would know more than a few songs. It’s entirely different when they play festivals in which their fans can choose to buy tickets.

Dude I’m a ginormous Radiohead fan. My point was every act has a greatest greatest hit. When someone thinks of any act usually just one song (or sometimes album) comes to mind.

Rage can headline in any metric.