2020 headliners

jj200

54 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Metallica are the biggest metal band in the world who tour extensively and had played pretty much every festival other than Glastonbury up until that point. RATM are big, but they ain't Metallica, and I doubt the organisers would particularly care to rock the boat again especially for them.

I find that "they ain't Metallica" stance a bit odd. I certainly think they're more accessible than Metallica. Maybe growing up listening to a lot of alternative/metal has skewed my perception a bit, but I reckon they're equally "big enough"

Not that I want to start us off down this road again.....

6 minutes ago, Sasperella said:

I find that "they ain't Metallica" stance a bit odd. I certainly think they're more accessible than Metallica. Maybe growing up listening to a lot of alternative/metal has skewed my perception a bit, but I reckon they're equally "big enough"

Not that I want to start us off down this road again.....

Yep agreed. I'd argue that RATM have much more appeal to a Glastonbury crowd than Metallica.

1 hour ago, FloorFiller said:

Metallica are the biggest metal band in the world who tour extensively and had played pretty much every festival other than Glastonbury up until that point. RATM are big, but they ain't Metallica, and I doubt the organisers would particularly care to rock the boat again especially for them.

RATM have significantly more mainstream appeal than Metallica. Your average joe would struggle to recognise more than 1 Metallica song...

3 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

RATM have significantly more mainstream appeal than Metallica. Your average joe would struggle to recognise more than 1 Metallica song...

RATM have one song, and that's because of a bit of a quirk.

I'm not questionning their ability or whatever, I just think that outside particular circles, they don't have the same cultural clout here that they have in the US. But whatever, I've been wrong many times before.

• Downvote 5

3 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

I'm not questionning their ability or whatever, I just think that outside particular circles, they don't have the same cultural clout here that they have in the US. But whatever, I've been wrong many times before.

Bulls on Parade is a doozy but I wouldn't call it their one song!

9 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

A bit more than one song...

5B14C538-D430-4511-A1D9-1146260F2B63.png

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

How many did Stormzy have? 

Stormzy is the figurehead of the leading genre of music to come out of Britain in the last decade and passed the 'mom test', besides, it wasn't me that initially talked about songs that your average joe knows - I was pretty much saying that your point that the public would struggle to name one or two metallica songs would probably apply to RATM too

You could make an argument that every band “only has one song”.

Radiohead only have creep!

Honestly probably just wearing fannongoggles but rage are a very very important band. They made a huge mark politically and influenced so many that came after them. They mean a lot to a lot of people (including me).

Just now, Matt42 said:

Honestly probably just wearing fannongoggles but rage are a very very important band. They made a huge mark politically and influenced so many that came after them. They mean a lot to a lot of people (including me).

It's goggles mate.

2 minutes ago, Garrett_Salas said:

Stormzy is the figurehead of the leading genre of music to come out of Britain in the last decade and passed the 'mom test', besides, it wasn't me that initially talked about songs that your average joe knows - I was pretty much saying that your point that the public would struggle to name one or two metallica songs would probably apply to RATM too

Yeah, this is it.