2020 headliners

jj200

Just out of interest, if Swift and Kendrick Lamar were two of the headliners, do people on here think that that now suggests that Macca is now more unlikely to be the third headliner?

Wouldn't you expect the third headliner to be a band? Rather than having three solo artists, or am I overthinking it?

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Don’t forget that her tour dates pretty much rule her out of every single UK festival / event that might jeopardise the glasto chances.

Great for us - but when the penny drops for swifties that her only UK date of the summer is a sold out festival they won’t be happy.

Ain't that the truth - if I hadn't got tickets this year and then these rumours of her headlining started floating around, that would've stung big time

Whilst it could apply to a few proposed names, I also interpreted Emily saying (can't remember if it was in the interview or Guardian Live) that she "always expects outrage" with the headliner announcement to point to Taylor too.

Plenty of people dismiss her as a "pop" act (even if she is one who writes her own songs and can play her own instruments) and will say she's "not what Glastonbury's about" so I expect a decent amount of outrage, even if that isn't the tone on this forum. Also as pointed out, the outrage Emily expects may come from the Swift fans themselves.

8 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Don’t forget that her tour dates pretty much rule her out of every single UK festival / event that might jeopardise the glasto chances.

Great for us - but when the penny drops for swifties that her only UK date of the summer is a sold out festival they won’t be happy.

I am starting to think there's a chance she is just doing Glastonbury. Hopefully her fans go easy on her given the circumstances.

1 minute ago, SiJo86 said:

Just out of interest, if Swift and Kendrick Lamar were two of the headliners, do people on here think that that now suggests that Macca is now more unlikely to be the third headliner?

Wouldn't you expect the third headliner to be a band? Rather than having three solo artists, or am I overthinking it?

Macca plays with a band technically but i'd hope he was still negotiating with the Eavii to play. Don't think it would make a difference though.

1 minute ago, SophieCornish said:

Ain't that the truth - if I hadn't got tickets this year and then these rumours of her headlining started floating around, that would've stung big time

I just think we’ve got incredibly lucky and she’s doing a short run of European festival headline shows - with a view to do a larger tour later in the year. 

Just now, jparx said:

I am starting to think there's a chance she is just doing Glastonbury. Hopefully her fans go easy on her given the circumstances.

I don’t think they will lol. Resale will be terrible lol.

9 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

do people on here think that that now suggests that Macca is now more unlikely to be the third headliner?

No.

I really can't see Glasto lining themselves up for a long drawn out negotiation where he might back out again like he did last year.

Plus I don't think Glasto think there's any point in starting talking, from what Nick said back in April.

Edited by eFestivals

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I just think we’ve got incredibly lucky and she’s doing a short run of European festival headline shows - with a view to do a larger tour later in the year. 

If she was there this year for Emily to try and persuade her to do it just like she did with Adele then surely that has to be the best way to sell it to an act who doesn't quite understand Glastonbury. i still thought Sheeran would have sold it to her a bit thought unless it was all gamesmanship from her and she would have done it anyway. 

Just now, Doug85 said:

If she was there this year for Emily to try and persuade her to do it just like she did with Adele then surely that has to be the best way to sell it to an act who doesn't quite understand Glastonbury. i still thought Sheeran would have sold it to her a bit thought unless it was all gamesmanship from her and she would have done it anyway. 

Probably did happen but you never know she may have agreed before she went.

I much prefer reading the spooky conspiracies that her and Ed plan their careers in parallels and try to be mirror images of each other. 

2 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

No.

I really can't see Glasto lining themselves up for a long drawn out negotiation where he might back again like he did last year.

Plus I don't think Glasto think there's any point in starting talking, from what Nick said back in April.

So are we looking like a bigger act out of nowhere judging by her comments or are we going to get stuck with the 1975.

Just trying to judge my expectations and rule out someone out of leftfield like ACDC or Guns and Roses

I don't have a name in mind, but could part of Emily saying there isn't 1 booked be because it's a band that aren't currently active? If a band hadn't announced a comeback/reunion I think that it would make sense for Emily to play it down 

Edited by Mezhyp1

8 hours ago, MrZigster said:

I'd be well pleased with Arctic Monkeys and Noel. People saying The Foals/1975 aren't big enough to headline? The Arctic Monkeys headlined with just one (admittedly hugely massive at the time) album to their name. (I know nothing of The Foals or 1975's music).

Would prefer Macca over Madonna but again fantasy festival line-up brain wants both, even though I'm not particulary a fan of Madonna.

Wouldn't it just. Traditionally though, isn't The Other Stage the place that starts things off on the Friday?

Would possibly be the best opener since The Hives (Get Me A Ladder) opened (but didn't Beady Eye play unannounced first? If so, I'm not counting them).

I wasn't particularly a Coldplay fan, but that whole wristband, and bringing on Barry Gibb, and doing Stayin' Alive thing they did absolutely slayed me... (I grew up with Saturday Night Fever).

We've big expectations as it's The 50th haven't we.

I've recently dug out and have been wearing my 40th anniversary T-Shirt.

We had big expectaions a decade ago didn't we.

And looking at the back of said T-Shirt. That was a great fucking line up.

I'd be well happy with that amounts of acts I like again. Can't believe it'll have been ten years since Slash played (to a half deserted field 'cause England v Germany).

Can we have a T-Shirt that glows in the dark again please?

Two. FWN came out a few months before and they played a good chunk of tunes off it

1 hour ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Fatboy used to be my absolute fave mainstream DJ, but I recently saw him in Singapore and utter dogshit would be too kind a description.  He was absolutely dialling it in, obviously not playing live, totally awful.  I think his time has been and well and truly gone, unfortunately.

I saw him in Cardiff last year and thought exactly the same. The only time I’ve left a gig half way through.

What Is it about Paul M that needs SO much negotiation? If he has played before he surely knows what's expected of him, what he can expect from them and what sort of money he can earn. Surely it just comes down to is he free and can he be arsed or not? 

17 minutes ago, SiJo86 said:

Suggests to me that headliner number three would be your more 'traditional' headliner, guitar band; be that a 'legend' or a more contemporary band

8 minutes ago, 1986 said:

What Is it about Paul M that needs SO much negotiation? If he has played before he surely knows what's expected of him, what he can expect from them and what sort of money he can earn. Surely it just comes down to is he free and can he be arsed or not? 

It probably isn't Paul, but my thought is he could be sorting his plans for 2020 and it's still up in the air, which is drawing out the negotiations.

Regardless, they must be trying for someone big if it's being drawn out. If it was e.g. Coldplay it'd be signed and sealed.

Edit: poorly worded. Obviously not suggesting Coldplay aren't big. Should have said someone harder to sign.

Edited by jparx