2020 headliners

jj200

I saw Kendrick at Leeds 2015 on the TPAB tour and it was fucking brilliant. He had a whole band with him and absolutely everything was live - He would’ve been the perfect Friday night headliner for me after watching that. Libertines afterwards was a bonus as I like them, but Kendrick was amazing that night and should’ve headlined above them.

but I heard that for Leeds 2018 there was none of that and it was just him with a DJ/backing track? Disappointing if so because the show I saw was incredible

10 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

I saw Kendrick at Leeds 2015 on the TPAB tour and it was fucking brilliant. He had a whole band with him and absolutely everything was live - He would’ve been the perfect Friday night headliner for me after watching that. Libertines afterwards was a bonus as I like them, but Kendrick was amazing that night and should’ve headlined above them.

but I heard that for Leeds 2018 there was none of that and it was just him with a DJ/backing track? Disappointing if so because the show I saw was incredible

I don’t think a hip-hop artist really requires a full band, I saw Kanye West in about 2006ish and he played with an orchestra, it was good but it definitely wasn’t required. Same with Kendrick when I saw him in 2013 the band was good but it wasn’t really needed because it’s his artistry as a rapper which is what you’re there to see not some fella shredding guitar behind him whilst he’s rapping along to Swimming Pools, it takes all of the focus off him. I thought he was well better without the band last Feb. 

8 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

I don’t think a hip-hop artist really requires a full band, I saw Kanye West in about 2006ish and he played with an orchestra, it was good but it definitely wasn’t required. Same with Kendrick when I saw him in 2013 the band was good but it wasn’t really needed because it’s his artistry as a rapper which is what you’re there to see not some fella shredding guitar behind him whilst he’s rapping along to Swimming Pools, it takes all of the focus off him. I thought he was well better without the band last Feb. 

I fully can see your point. I was there for Kendrick and his music/lyrics, this wasn’t long after TPAB’s release and what originally got me really into the album was the instrumentation. I like my fair share of hip hop but to this day, butterfly is my favourite of the genre.

The live band for me made his performance a highlight for the weekend and this performance made me think he is ready to headline as it was a show, not just a gig.

im fortunate to have a ticket for next year and i’ll See him if he’s there but his full band show really stood out to me and I still think he should’ve headlined that night, coming from a Libertines fan!

Edited by Nick Aldous

Just now, Nick Aldous said:

I fully agree with your point. I was there for Kendrick and his music/lyrics - the live band for me made his performance a highlight for the weekend and this performance made me think he is ready to headline as it was a show, not just a gig.

im fortunate to have a ticket for next year and i’ll See him if he’s there but his full band show really stood out to me and I still think he should’ve headlined that night, coming from a Libertines fan!

Ahhh got me excited, saying that fully anticipating the disappointment of Coldplay headlining Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

Different album in full each night

1 minute ago, lukethekid said:

Ahhh got me excited, saying that fully anticipating the disappointment of Coldplay headlining Friday, Saturday and Sunday. 

Different album in full each night

From the show I saw and the reviews and acclaim since, Kendrick is a great live act and artist - I think he’s ready for the Pyramid and is a great voice going forward. If he brings that live band with him it’ll be the cherry on top for me! But even if he doesn’t I’m sure it’ll be a good show!

1975/ Macca / Kendrick for me I think now...

2 minutes ago, Nick Aldous said:

From the show I saw and the reviews and acclaim since, Kendrick is a great live act and artist - I think he’s ready for the Pyramid and is a great voice going forward. If he brings that live band with him it’ll be the cherry on top for me! But even if he doesn’t I’m sure it’ll be a good show!

1975/ Macca / Kendrick for me I think now...

I’d take that all day, 1975 night can be a night away from the pyramid. Macca & Kendrick will do very nicely. 

If you DONT think Kendrick is headlining the Pyramid on his day, you need to get out more.  I know I’m from the US but this is just the Kanye and Jay Z talk all over again.  You had Stormzy headlining last year...

Out of the loop on this though; Does Massive Attack headline the Other? Or do they get a Pyramid Sup slot?  .......or forget me, do they headline the Pyramid? 

• Upvote 1

I have convinced myself it's going to be..

Friday: Paul McCartney

Saturday: Taylor Swift 

Sunday: Coldplay

With Paul McCartney and Coldplay being the ones who were booked the in advance.

Coldplay love the festival and would want to be there for the big 50 and they already had done the ground work for Macca hence why I think they are the ones booked in advance.

1 hour ago, Friendly Banter said:

If you DONT think Kendrick is headlining the Pyramid on his day, you need to get out more.  I know I’m from the US but this is just the Kanye and Jay Z talk all over again.  You had Stormzy headlining last year...

Out of the loop on this though; Does Massive Attack headline the Other? Or do they get a Pyramid Sup slot?  .......or forget me, do they headline the Pyramid? 

Massive likely would take Other Stage headliner because theyll want 90 mins + to do their show, not an hour in the daylight.

Edited by Suprefan

8 hours ago, Slugworth said:

I hold my hands up to being ignorant and not giving him a listen. Maybe down to my love of the old stool rappers but I'm going to jump in. Where do i start? 

Start with Good Kidd Mad City. Has way more bangers so more accessible. To Pimp a Butterfly is probably a better record mind. 

5 hours ago, Nick Aldous said:

That’s what Hip Hop is and always has been. 

3 hours ago, Earth_pig said:

I have convinced myself it's going to be..

Friday: Paul McCartney

Saturday: Taylor Swift 

Sunday: Coldplay

With Paul McCartney and Coldplay being the ones who were booked the in advance.

Coldplay love the festival and would want to be there for the big 50 and they already had done the ground work for Macca hence why I think they are the ones booked in advance.

Macca couldnt of been booked in advance since he was booked for 2019 originally. Elton booked his tour early and finishes America two weeks prior to Glastonbury and resumes a few months after. He has to be the one. Coldplay, Elton John and Taylor Swift. Great balance, hardly other acts are around that could of been booked two years ago that are in the current frame.

Edited by RarerThanDandyB

5 hours ago, Friendly Banter said:

Its mad how unthinkable it is to americans that their culture is just not that relevant outside of the us. We are not the 51st state. Compare the chart performance of us hip hop stars in the uk and you will see that there is a huge gulf in popularity and status. People just arent as interested as you wish they were.

God forbid glastonbury ever tries to emulate corporate trashfest coachella.

Kendrick Lamar is big but not a household name in the uk, Kanye and Jay Z were bonafide global superstars when they played but even so i think both struggled on the night.

Stormzy is homegrown, a household name and i think is fairly admired across musical and demographic divides, was well received and was brilliant.

Edited by mattiloy
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Kendrick would headline any UK (probably worldwide) festival he plays at purely for the fee he charges these days, which he charges because he’s undeniably a headliner. Doesn’t matter that he hasn’t had any hit singles etc - he’s massive, and his albums are all considered masterpieces in the hip hop world and anybody in to hip hop knows that. 

edit: but imo, he won’t be headlining Glastonbury. Not 2020 anyway. I just don’t see it, especially if Taylor is in the equation. 

Edited by FloorFiller

1 hour ago, RarerThanDandyB said:

Macca couldnt of been booked in advance since he was booked for 2019 originally. Elton booked his tour early and finishes America two weeks prior to Glastonbury and resumes a few months after. He has to be the one. Coldplay, Elton John and Taylor Swift. Great balance, hardly other acts are around that could of been booked two years ago that are in the current frame.

I was thinking along the lines of him booked on the back of almost being booked for 2019 so all the leg work was done and just to postpone for a year.

Anyway I don't know anything haha 

But I do know that I wasn't a big fan of Elton when he played bestival but the weather was terrible so didn't help.

Elton Vs McCartney 

11 hours ago, a6l6e6x said:

On a market like this the bookies will just offer odds based on what people are betting as they don't carry inside sources (or they wouldn't offer the market in the first place)

If we all collectively agree to bet big on Daft Punk we could probably get them from 25/1 to 3/1

Wouldn’t even need to bet big... these markets move on surprisingly little money staked

6 minutes ago, GrumpyRaver said:

Wouldn’t even need to bet big... these markets move on surprisingly little money staked

Kendricks odds have dropped massively, even The Boss' odds have come down to 8/1. He was around 20/1 last week.  Even a couple of bets (probably from some in here) can have an impact 

1 minute ago, Doug85 said:

Kendricks odds have dropped massively, even The Boss' odds have come down to 8/1. He was around 20/1 last week.  Even a couple of bets (probably from some in here) can have an impact 

I’ve got lots of contacts in the industry... sometimes somebody putting a tenner on can significantly shorten a price, depending on the market. It’s madness.