jj200

2020 headliners

50 minutes ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

Tay Tay’s new campaign is flopping so she probably isn’t as overly-ambitious a booking as, in hindsight, she would’ve been during her imperial phase. All seems a bit up in the air as to whether she plays her Big Machine hits going forward but I don’t think Emily would choose to overlook her even if so.

If that was her I saw this year doing her damndest not to be clocked - and just plain being shielded from view after I'd clocked her anyway - then I presume she was there to check it out with a view to posssibly playing.

10 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

I don't see the Kinks headlining. Maybe legends, but no way are they topping the bill.

They'd be one of those acts where it all depends on context. In much the same way that Pixies were topping Reading+Leeds on their first run back but nowhere close to it since then.

If The Kinks came back and it was going to be their only reunion show and so the last one ever, then they could only be headliner. Anything else would be crazy. In that scenario they'd belong above most of the acts mentioned on this thread so far.

If they came back tomorrow, did a year of touring, and then reached Glastonbury after the initial excitement had subsided, then yeah headline would be unlikely.

1 minute ago, dentalplan said:

@eFestivals With the red hot SR on Foals for Pyramid Stage, are you hearing some good news for Foals fans?

They subbed Pyramid in 2016 didn't they? Interesting to see where they end up this time round, if they do indeed play..

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Someone was earwigging them on the plane out of Bristol Airport on the Monday.

Were they telling their secrets to Sean Paul?

Foals need their next album to be a smash. The last one was a welcome return to form but it didn’t quite have the impact needed to push them through the ceiling into bona fide headliner material IMO.

9 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Foals need their next album to be a smash. The last one was a welcome return to form but it didn’t quite have the impact needed to push them through the ceiling into bona fide headliner material IMO.

They're past the point of changing their trajectory upon release of new albums. They're not gonna penetrate new markets now. If they're booked to headline it's cos of the level they're at now.

2 hours ago, Rose-Colored Boy said:

As pleased as I am for Big Mikey, and relieved they’ve started being more adventurous after the weirdly conservative Florence booking in 2015

They bumped her up with about two weeks notice until the festival. 

11 minutes ago, parsonjack said:

Anyone know of a betting market for 2020 headliners other than the SkyBet long list? 

Can't see any myself after a good search. Your best bet at this point would be to request it through skybet, assuming it still isn't on there..

6 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Ok...need to re-phrase...the name I've heard (if true) would be unexpected and would raise a few questioning eyebrows...but would be otherwise welcomed by a lot of punters....especially if rumours of fresh material before then are realised.

We're all focusing on the 50th being a pantheon of stellar headliners who haven't played before...kind of save the best for the big party...but what if GFL chose to celebrate in a more retrospective manner.....a kind of 'best bits'....?

Prob said too much now....but it isn't Marc Bolan and T-Rex.

The Stone Roses? They were due to play the 25th Anniversary so why not the 50th? 

I’d love GnR to play, meant to have new material out this year followed by a new tour.....long shot I know 

6 hours ago, parsonjack said:

Ok...need to re-phrase...the name I've heard (if true) would be unexpected and would raise a few questioning eyebrows...but would be otherwise welcomed by a lot of punters....especially if rumours of fresh material before then are realised.

We're all focusing on the 50th being a pantheon of stellar headliners who haven't played before...kind of save the best for the big party...but what if GFL chose to celebrate in a more retrospective manner.....a kind of 'best bits'....?

Prob said too much now....but it isn't Marc Bolan and T-Rex.

Pulp?...

3 minutes ago, HastingsBoy said:

The Stone Roses? They were due to play the 25th Anniversary so why not the 50th? 

Haven’t they fallen out again?

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Haven’t they fallen out again?

Unofficially split up. It would take big money for them to do it, really don't see that happening.. or any gigs for them at all. Ian will probably be touring solo by the end of this year/early next

9 minutes ago, HastingsBoy said:

Probably, but I reckon they would see it as unfinished business. 

If they saw it as unfinished business they’d have done it by now.

They don’t care.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

They're past the point of changing their trajectory upon release of new albums. They're not gonna penetrate new markets now. If they're booked to headline it's cos of the level they're at now.

Agreed, but it wouldn’t feel like a particularly exciting booking for the general public. When they are inevitably booked to headline it’ll be because the festival can’t attract anyone bigger and it’s their turn.

They need something to make their booking exciting rather than “well they haven’t done it so I suppose it’s their turn”.

1 hour ago, strummer77 said:

They bumped her up with about two weeks notice until the festival. 

I know, I was in the pit, but she should’ve been booked to headline in the first place, especially when they were so desperate for a third headliner that they literally had to ask a band to cancel a gig in another country to do it. If Stormzy being given the gig means we’re returning to the early-2000s willingness to take a chance on upcoming acts then that’s fantastic. I can take or leave George Ezra but he ought to be given a chance on his next album, same with Billie Eilish if she continues her trajectory.

Edited by Rose-Colored Boy

Sorry if it’s already been mentioned but... Springsteen? Looks like he’ll be touring with the E Street Band again next year.