2020 headliners

jj200

23 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nick Dewey saying back in April that Macca wouldn't be playing.

My take is that he told efestivals so an incorrect rumour would get squashed.

I wonder if he absolutely wasn't the plan back in April since they thought they had the three headliners in the bag so they wanted to quash the rumour, but FM's plans have changed, they aren't active next year and Glastonbury have gone back to Macca. Massive speculation of course!

25 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Nick Dewey saying back in April that Macca wouldn't be playing.

My take is that he told efestivals so an incorrect rumour would get squashed.

Could he not have told efestivals so a huge name isn't given away early doors?..

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The headliners were three of the biggest possible names. I think there might have been a bit more than that too.

Biggest possible names - the definition of "possible" is one that warrants discussion. Many have been ruled out in the past due to being to pricey (Madonna etc), so would that rule those types of names out of the "possible" pot?

5 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

The headliners were three of the biggest possible names. I think there might have been a bit more than that too.

I can't remember what he said now, so you'll have to bare with me while i try to find it. :P 

found it.

He said headliners were Led Zep, The Stones and Fleetwood Mac, with 3 other headline sized bands underneath.

He did also say that it was so ridiculous he didn't believe it. :P 

But .. I'm not entirely sure where he gets his info (I do have an inkling), but he definitely knows people that know stuff.

2 minutes ago, jparx said:

I wonder if he absolutely wasn't the plan back in April since they thought they had the three headliners in the bag so they wanted to quash the rumour, but FM's plans have changed, they aren't active next year and Glastonbury have gone back to Macca. Massive speculation of course!

I think it's more likely that Macca was the headliner they lost for 2019 (they defo lost someone, Emily said), and that it became clear as it all fell apart that next year wasn't a possibility.

Just now, eFestivals said:

found it.

He said headliners were Led Zep, The Stones and Fleetwood Mac, with 3 other headline sized bands underneath.

But .. I'm not entirely sure where he gets his info (I do have an inkling), but he definitely knows people that know stuff.

I’m totally here for Glasto HQ throwing shite at the wall and seeing what sticks. They obviously won’t land all of them but imagine if two were like fuck it let’s do it!

4 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

found it.

Wonder how much it would cost to book those 3 to play...

4 minutes ago, mufcok said:

Could he not have told efestivals so a huge name isn't given away early doors?..

it had already been 'given away' by Michael - which is why I think he probably told efests it wasn't happening, to kill that off.

Glasto peeps telling me stuff to kill it off is something that's happened a few times over the years, while telling me porkies or telling me headliners isn't something that's happened.

But all reasons are possible for why he said what he said.

Led Zep, Stones and Fleetwood Mac. Would be pretty incredible if they managed to do it, but I can't help but feel like they should be giving at least one headline slot to a more contemporary artist for the 50th anniversary.

Just now, SomeoneListeningIn said:

Led Zep, Stones and Fleetwood Mac. Would be pretty incredible if they managed to do it, but I can't help but feel like they should be giving at least one headline slot to a more contemporary artist for the 50th anniversary.

Just to be clear I think what matey heard was tosh (I appreciate him telling me all the same :)  ... and it's something to chat about).

But if those bands were playing those three bands would very likely all be playing their final UK shows, which isn't small beer - contemporary or not.

And if there were really three 'normal' headline bands beneath it's likely they'd be much more contemporary so it'd look fantastic on a poster I reckon.

I mean, even if those headliners didn't come through (which I assume they haven't), it shows you the level they are possibly aiming for.

It's hard to match those three in terms of ambition but I think some combo of Taylor, Fleetwood, Macca and The 1975 would be a phenomenal effort. Especially with Diana Ross as the legend as well.

10 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

found it.

Sweet good mother of lord! That would be the line up to beat all lines ups forever. 

Now I'm gonna cry cos it's not gonna happen. 

Nice one Neil, crying now

• Upvote 1

Led Zep and Planty in particular are notoriously reluctant for anything to go out they feel under strength. Their Live Aid said isn’t on the DVD, ditto Plant’s take on Innuendo at the Fred Mercury memorial gig. The O2 gig wasn’t released until 5 years after the event. Them going out live to a global audience seems very unlikely. Happy to be proved wrong though.

Can’t imagine the 3 headliners are all in their 70’s though!