2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

1975 lads in with a bullet in the top 20 of Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs of the Decade list.

Why do critics love this song so much? They’ve done much better. Looking at the three songs below it... my goodness.

4 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

Ya that was a typo which I fixed. You said they were slightly bigger, when in reality they are a lot bigger.

Eh? They aren’t really. They have the capacity to be much bigger but we ain’t there yet and won’t be before March or whenever.

7 minutes ago, sisco said:

Do you think there could be anything in this Main Stages open Thursday idea?

Having sat thru loads of licence hearings - tho not for more than a decade now, I admit - I think it's unlikely. 

The council were always incredibly resistant about expanding the disruption that locals suffer - and music from the main stages on the Thursday would definitely be that.

Also, if it was happening, I think we'd see it in the ticket price - as there'd have to book quite a large number of acts even if the stages only ran for (say) 4 hours, cos there's a lot of stages.

3 minutes ago, eFestivals said:

Having sat thru loads of licence hearings - tho not for more than a decade now, I admit - I think it's unlikely. 

The council were always incredibly resistant about expanding the disruption that locals suffer - and music from the main stages on the Thursday would definitely be that.

Also, if it was happening, I think we'd see it in the ticket price - as there'd have to book quite a large number of acts even if the stages only ran for (say) 4 hours, cos there's a lot of stages.

so no thought that the extra 7000 tickets might cover that ? 

13 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

1975 lads in with a bullet in the top 20 of Pitchfork's 200 Best Songs of the Decade list.

More due to the fact that theyre playing at pitchfork’s festival in paris next month. A lot of their praise ties into booking artists for their festivals around the us and europe now. 

2 hours ago, Matt42 said:

@dentalplan is wrong on this point. The 1975 are way bigger than Biffy. Since when were Biffy selling out mass shows at the O2 and across the world? Come off it.

3 years ago when they was touring their last proper album...

This happens almost every time some bands have have a few years off to write some new material and people then use it to say X is now bigger.

I reckon Foals, T Swizzle and Fleetwood Mac/Macca. Covers pretty much all of the glasto headliner boxes. It will be exactly the same as 2010 when everyone got excited but the actual line up is about the same as it always is.

1 hour ago, H.M.V said:

The 1975 headlining the 50th just feels like you'd look back in a few years time when their star wans and think wtf was that all about. 

I also think the singer fella is a massive bellend. Saw some of their show at Longitude a few years ago and had to leave. 

I can understand your thoughts about the singer - he can certainly divide opinion, but I think they would be perfect to get the party started on Friday Night.  Saw them at the O2 in January this year and thought they were amazing  - ended up getting really into their back catalogue and then ended up seeing them at Reading and they smashed it.  With a new album coming out in February as well I think they would be a perfect booking

2 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Eh? They aren’t really. They have the capacity to be much bigger but we ain’t there yet and won’t be before March or whenever.

1975 have consistently sold significantly more albums - all their albums have gone to number 1, something no Foals album has ever done. Hard to get definite numbers but in the UK they have one platinum album and one 2xplatinum album, whereas Foals have never had one get above Gold. Which means we know for sure that the 1975's debut has sold at least more than twice as much as any Foals album. This goes internationally as well - their debut is even platinum in the USA, where Foals have never registered at all.

Streaming numbers we can get a much more straightforward look at -

image.png.43f1492f653b47526c19bdee713c6e20.pngimage.png.3c70d153a9529523b18b4417543f53fe.png

Obviously Spotify skews towards showing more recent stuff, but even so there's clearly a massive gap there, both between their most recent and their most popular material.

Tour dates - Foals so far have managed a single arena tour covering a measly 5 dates. The 1975 played 10 arena dates this year and have another 12 booked for next year. Meanwhile Foals are mucking around in academies and mid-sized festivals with as yet no arenas on the horizon at all. Now they might prove me wrong and bring out a massive arena tour with this announcement they've got coming up, but somehow I doubt it.

So there's a big gap in all the usual ways that we might judge the popularity of a band, and all you're left with is this idea that somehow Foals are more popular with the people that actually go to Glastonbury. This one's obviously the kind of vague subjective hearsay that makes it hard to quantify, but we can try. I'm not standing outside their gigs with a census but I can tell you that there is simply not a substantial difference between the audience at a 1975 gig and something like an Arctic Monkeys gig or any other mainstream pop-rock band (or, indeed, a Foals gig). The only way this line of thinking makes any sense is if your mind is even more rotted from efestivals brain poisoning than mine and you genuinely believe this forum is representative of the festival's audience. News flash, bozo! This forum is full of freaks!

• Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Mash011 said:

1975 have consistently sold significantly more albums - all their albums have gone to number 1, something no Foals album has ever done. Hard to get definite numbers but in the UK they have one platinum album and one 2xplatinum album, whereas Foals have never had one get above Gold. Which means we know for sure that the 1975's debut has sold at least more than twice as much as any Foals album. This goes internationally as well - their debut is even platinum in the USA, where Foals have never registered at all.

Streaming numbers we can get a much more straightforward look at -

image.png.43f1492f653b47526c19bdee713c6e20.pngimage.png.3c70d153a9529523b18b4417543f53fe.png

Obviously Spotify skews towards showing more recent stuff, but even so there's clearly a massive gap there, both between their most recent and their most popular material.

Tour dates - Foals so far have managed a single arena tour covering a measly 5 dates. The 1975 played 10 arena dates this year and have another 12 booked for next year. Meanwhile Foals are mucking around in academies and mid-sized festivals with as yet no arenas on the horizon at all. Now they might prove me wrong and bring out a massive arena tour with this announcement they've got coming up, but somehow I doubt it.

So there's a big gap in all the usual ways that we might judge the popularity of a band, and all you're left with is this idea that somehow Foals are more popular with the people that actually go to Glastonbury. This one's obviously the kind of vague subjective hearsay that makes it hard to quantify, but we can try. I'm not standing outside their gigs with a census but I can tell you that there is simply not a substantial difference between the audience at a 1975 gig and something like an Arctic Monkeys gig or any other mainstream pop-rock band (or, indeed, a Foals gig). The only way this line of thinking makes any sense is if your mind is even more rotted from efestivals brain poisoning than mine and you genuinely believe this forum is representative of the festival's audience. News flash, bozo! This forum is full of freaks!

I'm not reading this nerd.

• Upvote 16

2 minutes ago, zeppelin said:

(Not very) Fun fact: I've never knowingly heard The 1975. I don't think that's ever happened with a headliner since I've been going.

Worth trying? 

I'm no fan other than the odd one or two songs but they seem to have garnered quite a bit of critical acclaim with their last two releases despite initially being seen as kind of lame so maybe there's something to that that I'm not getting myself. Can't hurt to give their top songs a listen, but I expect it'll be a hard pass.

45 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

I'm no fan other than the odd one or two songs but they seem to have garnered quite a bit of critical acclaim with their last two releases despite initially being seen as kind of lame so maybe there's something to that that I'm not getting myself. Can't hurt to give their top songs a listen, but I expect it'll be a hard pass.

I felt the same - I just liked a few of their more popular songs but after seeing them at the O2 earlier this year and loving it they have now become one of my favourite bands.  Like all good stuff they take some repeat listening but they are well worth a bit of effort - you might be surprised.

2 hours ago, eFestivals said:

I always thought on the 50th they would do a headliner pyramid stage only on Thursday.  Just kind of like a surprise ?

Edited by TiZuff