2020 headliners

jj200

23 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

Enough. 

That back catalogue would draw a colossal crowd, regardless of who’s up on stage.

While I mostly agree with you, there is a point to be made that the current incarnation of Queen have not been as successful at selling festival tickets as their concert sales and songbook would lead you to as expect - Can't remember how well IOW did, but Sonisphere and TRNSMT both had terrible ticket sales when they booked Queen+whoever as headliner. The difference at Glastonbury of course is that the tickets are selling regardless and so the crowd is a bit more varied and will gravitate towards the songs they know. Of which Queen have a shitload.

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

Killers, The Who both only had 2 original members. If AC/DC played it could be 1. Fleetwood Mac, who knows?

No-one is calling them tribute acts.

A front man does tend to feel a bit different though. Especially for Queen. If Flowers had left The Killers and the others 2 remain they have more original members but feel less like the original band.

Probably not logical/fair but Queen without Freddie feel less 'Queen' than The Killers feel less 'Killers' without a couple of blokes I can't name. 

Have any bands headlined when their front man isn't the one who sang any of the hits?

1 minute ago, strummer77 said:

A front man does tend to feel a bit different though. Especially for Queen. If Flowers had left The Killers and the others 2 remain they have more original members but feel less like the original band.

Probably not logical/fair but Queen without Freddie feel less 'Queen' than The Killers feel less 'Killers' without a couple of blokes I can't name. 

Have any bands headlined when their front man isn't the one who sang any of the hits?

It's a fair comment but at the same time May & Taylor are bigger names than the guitarist and bassist fro The Killers. It somehow feels different. Maybe just because of them using the + Adam Lambert thing? I've not seen them with anyone bar Freddie and probably wouldn't pay to see them with someone else but at Glastonbury? I'd love it.

25 minutes ago, incident said:

While I mostly agree with you, there is a point to be made that the current incarnation of Queen have not been as successful at selling festival tickets as their concert sales and songbook would lead you to as expect - Can't remember how well IOW did, but Sonisphere and TRNSMT both had terrible ticket sales when they booked Queen+whoever as headliner. The difference at Glastonbury of course is that the tickets are selling regardless and so the crowd is a bit more varied and will gravitate towards the songs they know. Of which Queen have a shitload.

Would also add that they haven't done any UK shows since Bohemian Rhapsody, the hit motion picture, came out. I've always thought that the discord between their general popularity and festival popularity is because they're a mainstay among non-festival types but I would predict it to be different nowadays.