2020 headliners

jj200

7 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Why him in particular though? Somebpody must have something more concrete than "Male and hasn't played Glasto before" to make him favourite? Bookies don't just work on complete guesswork.

- Emily Eavis is a fan and has posted about him before

- he's touring European festivals this summer

- he's playing  at Hyde Park , but they haven't said it's an exclusive show

- he's one of the most acclaimed artists of this generation so you'd think Glastonbury would love to have him play

Who else do you think it could be?

Sorry everyone! Am I way behind? You may have discussed this a long time ago, but Kendrick Lamar is headlining lollapalooza on June 26th, could he still headline, seems unlikely though! And they may be different time zones (lollapalooza and Glastonbury that is) but he’s playing another festival the next day, it says on Spotify on his tour dates, but I might have missed something I dunno! 

Edited by ThomJG

43 minutes ago, Gilgamesh69 said:

- Emily Eavis is a fan and has posted about him before

- he's touring European festivals this summer

- he's playing  at Hyde Park , but they haven't said it's an exclusive show

- he's one of the most acclaimed artists of this generation so you'd think Glastonbury would love to have him play

Who else do you think it could be?

Hmmm, really? He's a well respected rapper, but not as big as Eminem, Drake etc. I mean somebody mentioned Post Malone earlier, even he sold more albums than Kendrick last year, and that's assuming it's a rapper. Could be Elton, Bruno Mars, John Legend, could be Justin bloody Beiber for all we know.

The fact that Emily has posted about being a fan could be a clue, but a clue is just a clue.

Honestly, there are lots of big male acts that haven't played Glastonbury. The guy announces a few festivals shows and suddenly everybody thinks they're fucking Poirot.

22 minutes ago, ThomJG said:

Sorry everyone! Am I way behind? You may have discussed this a long time ago, but Kendrick Lamar is headlining lollapalooza on June 26th, could he still headline, seems unlikely though! And they may be different time zones (lollapalooza and Glastonbury that is) but he’s playing another festival the next day, it says on Spotify on his tour dates, but I might have missed something I dunno! 

Spotify just dumps everyone on the same day. I suppose he is playing Sunday

14 minutes ago, bombfrog said:

Hmmm, really? He's a well respected rapper, but not as big as Eminem, Drake etc. I mean somebody mentioned Post Malone earlier, even he sold more albums than Kendrick last year, and that's assuming it's a rapper. Could be Elton, Bruno Mars, John Legend, could be Justin bloody Beiber for all we know.

The fact that Emily has posted about being a fan could be a clue, but a clue is just a clue.

Honestly, there are lots of big male acts that haven't played Glastonbury. The guy announces a few festivals shows and suddenly everybody thinks they're fucking Poirot.

Acclaimed doesn't necessarily mean high sales. He's won a fucking Pulitzer prize, Grammys, and countlessly album of the year awards etc. 

But yeah, let's get Eminem instead lol

Edited by Gilgamesh69
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bombfrog said:

Probably cos most of them have done more detective work than you. Elton John and Bieber have dates that clash and the others aren't on the road / in the vicinity.

• Upvote 2

I feel like we had an exact conversation like this at the end of last year. You've said before you're not a fan and I think you're letting that show. 

Justin is touring the US as is Elton John. 

I mean... we had info it was Taylor and Kendrick before he even started announcing dates. I’m sure if this was a headliner you cared about you’d be just as quick to agree that it seems like a done deal, but it isn’t, and so you’re being pointless contrarian as if that’s gonna change the fact that Kendrick is 100% headlining. 

• Upvote 1

This thread is like that person from school who just attracts drama, and when everything finally starts to go well for them they somehow create some shit from nothing to derail it all, like they're almost bored of having no drama in their life.

As much as we all want to know the headliners ASAP when we get tickets, part of us loves rollercoaster rides like 2015. It's time to accept that the headliners for this year are set, there's no drama and the festival has wrapped up there huge bookings in a very efficient manner. I know people had very lofty ideas for the 50th and probably had fantasies of their own perfect lineup, but the reality is they've booked three really significant acts, two are completely fresh to the festival, and they're all hard and special bookings to pull off. If they're not your bag, you know the deal with the 10 billion other stages, but they're what we've got and whether you're a fan or not, they are objectively huge bookings. 

Edited by jparx
  • Upvote 7

Agreed. I'm probably biased because I'll likely be at the Pyramid two nights out of three but I'm not sure how else they could better this years trio given who's available. 

I think the 3 x heritage acts was always a pipedream (and would go against everything the festival has been trying to do for the last few years), and if there was going to be one they've undoubtedly bagged the best in Macca. 

There's been no big, British group re-emergence (Blur, Pulp or ahem, Oasis) so, again despite speculation, that's been a non starter. 

They've continued to the run of recent years attraching a huge mainstream pop act and with Kendrick (hopefully) one of the best acts on the planet today. 

There's no 'easy' booking (looking at you Coldplay and Muse), they've managed to bag Aerosmith in a non-headline slot and potentially 1975 in a secret slot. What else do people want? 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, jparx said:

This thread is like that person from school who just attracts drama, and when everything finally starts to go well for them they somehow create some shit from nothing to derail it all, like they're almost bored of having no drama in their life.

As much as we all want to know the headliners ASAP when we get tickets, part of us loves rollercoaster rides like 2015. It's time to accept that the headliners for this year are set, there's no drama and the festival has wrapped up there huge bookings in a very efficient manner. I know people had very lofty ideas for the 50th and probably had fantasies of their own perfect lineup, but the reality is they've booked three really significant acts, two are completely fresh to the festival, and they're all hard and special bookings to pull off. If they're not your bag, you know the deal with the 10 billion other stages, but they're what we've got and whether you're a fan or not, they are objectively huge bookings. 

This is a running thread in various popular forums lol. I think the crux of it is that a lot of people expected three heritage headliners and are hanging on to any hope that it’s something else.

Kendrick is all but nailed but I think people who are sceptical about it him are, yet again, looking for any information which rules him out.

You can’t win. All this post Malone chat is funny because he’s booked up that Friday night. However, facts mean nothing in brexit Britain it seems.

5 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Deservedly.

It needs to have a bit of balance, and this year they've done an utterly fantastic job. As close as 'something for everyone' as you can get with 3 acts at that level.

This. 

Best set of headliners the festival has ever had. 

Critically acclaimed rapper, biggest pop star on the planet and a god damn Beatle.

Something for everybody. 

Except maybe that chap who wanted Swedish House Mafia.