2020 headliners

jj200

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

We all love to hear New Order and the Pet Shop Boys going at it together, don't we folks.

I like that one. :ph34r:

God I was so confused when that came out. 2 bands that I'd happily written off as utter tosh and they come up with that. Baffling.

Edited by Gnomicide

15 minutes ago, Gnomicide said:

I like that one. :ph34r:

God I was so confused when that came out. 2 bands that I'd happily written off as utter tosh and they come up with that. Baffling.

Seeing as we think we know the headliners, I am not spamming the thread too much, but what did you think of Joy Division?

Edited by eastynh

11 minutes ago, eastynh said:

Seeing as we think we know the headliners, I am not spamming the thread too much, but what did you think of Joy Division?

I didn't pay them enough attention to be honest and haven't really done much to rectify the situation. At the time they were out, if it wasn't punk or metal, I didn't want to know. 

12 hours ago, henry bear said:

Personally, I think them good but overrated. Listened to NO much more.

I think I prefer New Order also but I think Joy Division are an incredible band.

I would love to see Peter Hook play with them but that’s never gonna happen. How do New Order of today compare live to New Order with Peter Hook live?

I'm a fan of Joy Division and some of their tunes rank very highly for me (New Dawn Fades for example), but frankly I think a lot of my appreciation for them is more respect for what they did rather than loving their music.

New Order, while a bit less groundbreaking (but still hugely so), are a much better band imo. They managed to innovate AND churn out banger after banger, which is much harder to do.

In a way I think it compares to Sonic Youth and Nirvana. Youth were absolute game changers and put out some ace music, but a lot of their output, for me, is too dense and obtuse to enjoy unless you're really in the mood. Nirvana (although tbh I was never a huge fan) took those themes and wrapped them in a more user-friendly package.

Not sure that analysis has much to do with anything but there ya go. Can't wait for Kung Fu King Kenny Duckworth!

Edited by jparx

50 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I would love to see Peter Hook play with them but that’s never gonna happen. How do New Order of today compare live to New Order with Peter Hook live?

I’ve haven’t seen them since he left. First time I saw them was 1984, the year after Blue Monday was a hit. The contrary buggers didn’t play it!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I think I prefer New Order also but I think Joy Division are an incredible band.

They are more consistent, more professional, less exciting.

They are a well polished outfit now and they actually seem to want to play live. They have lost that unpredictability and anger that Hooky provided.

You know exactly what you are going to get with them and that includes with the set list. They spice it up with remixes, up dates and re-edits. The advanements in technology have benefited them greatly. Everything works as it should and runs smoothly.

Chuck in a couple of Joy Division tunes and rhey are a good night out. The visuals, montages and aesthetics have always been great.

If you have not seen them with Hooky, they are everything you would expect from a decent heritage band. If you had seen them with Hooky, you know something is missing. Everything is a bit too nice.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, eastynh said:

They are more consistent, more professional, less exciting.

They are a well polished outfit now and they actually seem to want to play live. They have lost that unpredictability and anger that Hooky provided.

You know exactly what you are going to get with them and that includes with the set list. They spice it up with remixes, up dates and re-edits. The advanements in technology have benefited them greatly. Everything works as it should and runs smoothly.

Chuck in a couple of Joy Division tunes and rhey are a good night out. The visuals, montages and aesthetics have always been great.

If you have not seen them with Hooky, they are everything you would expect from a decent heritage band. If you had seen them with Hooky, you know something is missing. Everything is a bit too nice.

Cheers. Always felt confused about their live reputation compared to what I’d seen myself.

They were a good band playing their songs well and probably an ideal set list. I’ve seen New Order 6 times since 2010ish. For the record I think they’re brilliant live still and will continue to keep watching them.

2 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Only seen NO relatively recently-2 gigs in 2005 vs Glastonbury 2016 but I'd say the Hook-free gig was better. More Dance-y.

I am a fan but would have to say New Order have always been hit and miss live. Barney hasn’t got the best voice in the world and that can sometimes be to their detriment. I have seen them many times over the years. Both with and without Hooky (and a couple of times when they were Bad Lieutenant) and they have been a mix bag no matter of the lineup. 

9 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

I am a fan but would have to say New Order have always been hit and miss live. Barney hasn’t got the best voice in the world and that can sometimes be to their detriment. I have seen them many times over the years. Both with and without Hooky (and a couple of times when they were Bad Lieutenant) and they have been a mix bag no matter of the lineup. 

I’d forgotten about Bad Lieutenant. Saw them supporting Ian Brown in Platt Fields Park, they were bloody awful!

7 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I’d forgotten about Bad Lieutenant. Saw them supporting Ian Brown in Platt Fields Park, they were bloody awful!

When I saw them supporting the Pet Shop Boys they were terrible, but when I saw their own show they weren’t too bad but did have the feel of a New Order/Joy Division tribute band. 

37 minutes ago, Bennykill said:

Ian Curtis wasn’t up to form. Dancing was a bit stiff

I enjoyed it. I didn’t know most of the songs so went off & got some food but the Joy Division encore was great. We played Transmission in a battle of the bands competition at school. We didn’t win.