2020 headliners

jj200

35 minutes ago, SwedgeAntilles said:

This is a pretty solid comparison. 

I get the timescale and nostalgia thing, but I would say that to your average radio listener Joe the Killers have more recognisable stuff.  I would say no-Killers fans know more Killers songs than non-Strokes fans know Strokes songs?

1 minute ago, Quark said:

I get the timescale and nostalgia thing, but I would say that to your average radio listener Joe the Killers have more recognisable stuff.  I would say no-Killers fans know more Killers songs than non-Strokes fans know Strokes songs?

This is true, Killers were more commercial IMO, they were certainly on the radio more over the years.

2 minutes ago, Quark said:

Agreed, The Strokes were big in indie circles but The Killers crosses into the mainstream with Mr Brightside.

15 minutes ago, Quark said:

As a obnoxious grunger who refused to listen to pretty much anything but nu-metal and NIN between 2001 and 2004, I can confirm that this is true. 

I hated their fucking "iconic" album cover with a passion though. 

6 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

Do KOL have another album on the way? Can't imagine them accepting to play anywhere other than Pyramid headline. I have the fear for 2021 now. 

See what you've started @CaledonianGonzo

Edited by SwedgeAntilles

2 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

Maybe my memory's wrong but I'm pretty sure most on here where questioning whether The Strokes could sell a gig as big as Hyde Park at the time. They definitely weren't the calibre of act people were expecting for BST, and then they struggled to sell tickets, proving everybody right. If All Points East sometimes pick from a higher calibre of headliners then BST certainly went lower for The Strokes that year. Are we also gonna forget that Massive Attack did it the following year?

Oh I had actually forgotten that, yeah. 

1 hour ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Coming up for 10 years ago, that. It's not a static situation.

The glow-up from selling 20k tickets pre-freebie in 2015 to selling 40k tickets across town in 2019 is testament to them having journeyed since then.

59 minutes ago, Doug85 said:

This is true, Killers were more commercial IMO, they were certainly on the radio more over the years.

It’s why they’re doing stadiums now and Strokes are doing the odd park in London. Still facing the same boost though, just like truckloads of noughties acts rn.

6 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Oh I had actually forgotten that, yeah. 

The glow-up from selling 20k tickets pre-freebie in 2015 to selling 40k tickets across town in 2019 is testament to them having journeyed since then

Should be noted that they would have been helped last year by having an absolutely stellar undercard - Raconteurs, Interpol, Marr, Parquet Courts... That’s an entire day programmed to appeal to indie kids.

4 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

The glow-up from selling 20k tickets pre-freebie in 2015 to selling 40k tickets across town in 2019 is testament to them having journeyed since then.

Just to add to this, it could've been a lot, lot more than 40k. It sold out early, there was huge demand and tickets going for well over £100 on resale sites. I don't think it's an exaggeration to suggest that day was 4 or more times more in-demand than CATQ's (using that example as I was there, but it applies to all of them to varying degrees). So I agree they can't just be equated and seen as 'APE headliner level'. The Killers, being one of the very biggest bands there is, are of course not a good comparison on popularity alone, but there's still a lot of underestimating of the Strokes going on here. 

I come in to a hot topic only to find people discussing the validity of the Strokes. 

Every band both is and is not big enough to headline. 

Every band both is and is not willing to take a non-headline spot.

Some peoples assumptions are utterly bewildering. But  I will say this... 

A close personal friend who's girlfriends sister once met the bloke from the strokes at a coldplay concert told me the band is actually afraid of cows. Dairy variety, specifically. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1