2020 headliners

jj200

35 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Like, yeah a lot of acts deemed big enough to headline APE would have to be about Other Stage headline size but that doesn't mean it can't pick acts off a higher shelf. Or a lower one, considering BMTH played about 3pm on the Other Stage at Glastonbury.

Of course they can pick acts off of higher/lower shelves. But of the 14 announced headliners for APE in the last two in a bit years at least 9 by my count either have headlined the Other or could without raising too many eyebrows. Even the capacities of both venues are broadly similar.

Not an exact science as you say but broadly speaking I’d say headlining APE puts a band in the ballpark for the Other (obviously with exceptions).

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Saw them at Primavera in 2015 and agree that they were shite. Unfortunately they're playing there yet again this year and so I'm having to give them a second shot against my own will. Would be happy if they were booked for Glastonbury as it'd be one less clash I'd have to worry about.

Saw them at BST the same year and have to admit I thought they were ace. As was Beck who supported, but you never get a bad set from that guy.

18 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although Emily has claimed that they've picked acts off a higher shelf for the Other Stage headliners this year soo...*

* Still don't think it is gonna be them. Just sayin'.

Fair point duly noted.

12 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Saw them at Primavera in 2015 and agree that they were shite. Unfortunately they're playing there yet again this year and so I'm having to give them a second shot against my own will. Would be happy if they were booked for Glastonbury as it'd be one less clash I'd have to worry about.

Wtf go see something else it's fucking Primavera lol

1 minute ago, Hugh Jass said:

Of course they can pick acts off of higher/lower shelves. But of the 14 announced headliners for APE in the last two in a bit years at least 9 by my count either have headlined the Other or could without raising too many eyebrows. Even the capacities of both venues are broadly similar.

Not an exact science as you say but broadly speaking I’d say headlining APE puts a band in the ballpark for the Other (obviously with exceptions).

If we're just gonna be repeating ourselves then I'm gonna say "correlation does not equal causation" again because I thought it was clever. The Strokes accepting a second stage headline slot in 2020 because Tame Impala would in 2019 doesn't fit.

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t think it’s a terrible yardstick. Obviously some shows sell better than others but there have been a number of acts over the last two years of APE who have either headlined the Other - CATQ, LCD, Tame Impala, Chems... or wouldn’t look out of place doing so - Cave, The National, Bjork, The Xx....

Looks a fair indicator to me.

To be fair The Strokes have also done a Hyde Park show within the last five years and I don't really think any of that lot could get close to doing that. 

1 hour ago, tigger123 said:

A Hyde park show that they essentially gave away a load of tickets for though, I saw them there for free off the back of a £5 charity donation and it definitely still wasn’t a fully sold out crowd 

1 hour ago, Hugh Jass said:

Also fair.

This was the same for Blur that year though and they headline.

5 hours ago, strummer77 said:

This was the same for Blur that year though and they headline.

Difference with Blur is that they played Hyde Park 4 times in 7 years.

The only show which didn’t sell out was the last one. 

The Strokes failed to sell out their one and only Hyde Park gig and they had to give tickets away to make it less embarrassing.

1 hour ago, nikkic said:

The Strokes failed to sell out their one and only Hyde Park gig and they had to give tickets away to make it less embarrassing.

Doesn’t really make @the wonderwhy’s point any less valid. People putting them on a platform with LCD Soundsystem would surely have to accept that the prospect of LCD Soundsystem headlining Hyde Park is ludicrous whereas The Strokes doing it, even if they had a discount ticket offer, isn’t.

11 hours ago, dentalplan said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Like, yeah a lot of acts deemed big enough to headline APE would have to be about Other Stage headline size but that doesn't mean it can't pick acts off a higher shelf. Or a lower one, considering BMTH played about 3pm on the Other Stage at Glastonbury.

Correlation doesn't equal causation but what's being remarked here is the correlation. APE headliners and Other headliners have a lot of cross-over as they are a similar level of prestige.

1 hour ago, dentalplan said:

Doesn’t really make @the wonderwhy’s point any less valid. People putting them on a platform with LCD Soundsystem would surely have to accept that the prospect of LCD Soundsystem headlining Hyde Park is ludicrous whereas The Strokes doing it, even if they had a discount ticket offer, isn’t.

Maybe my memory's wrong but I'm pretty sure most on here where questioning whether The Strokes could sell a gig as big as Hyde Park at the time. They definitely weren't the calibre of act people were expecting for BST, and then they struggled to sell tickets, proving everybody right. If All Points East sometimes pick from a higher calibre of headliners then BST certainly went lower for The Strokes that year. Are we also gonna forget that Massive Attack did it the following year?

The more telling thing is that they're headlining every single festival they've been announced for, all over the world, and in almost every case have commanded their own announcement. And that's been the situation for at least a decade.  

So clearly there's a lot of people out there making decisions who see them as a solid headliner booking. 

9 minutes ago, the wonderwhy said:

The more telling thing is that they're headlining every single festival they've been announced for, all over the world, and in almost every case have commanded their own announcement. And that's been the situation for at least a decade.  

So clearly there's a lot of people out there making decisions who see them as a solid headliner booking. 

Exactly this. They go where they are still a big deal and they play festivals where they are still a front and centre act.

It would be dramatically out of character for them to now headline the other stage or something like that. There are no signs pointing to them stopping this touring strategy of theirs at all.

8 minutes ago, CaledonianGonzo said:

Their current clout is probably cos they're now a nostalgia act for folk who were in their teens / at Uni when Is This It came out. Not so wildly different from The Killers.

This is a pretty solid comparison. 

Just now, Matt42 said:

Exactly this. They go where they are still a big deal and they play festivals where they are still a front and centre act.

It would be dramatically out of character for them to now headline the other stage or something like that. There are no signs pointing to them stopping this touring strategy of theirs at all.

Played second fiddle at TITP all those years ago, but judging on how ridiculously strong the lineup was that year the bookers were clearly just throwing money around like it was nothing. Still though, it proves they don't mind playing lower (and not even being last on) if the opportunity is right, so who knows what Glastonbury could've thrown their way.

Again, not that I think it'll happen, but if it could happen any year then this is the one. If not, we can stop bringing up The Strokes forever.