2020 headliners

jj200

1 minute ago, Divein said:

If my casio's on the ball they're in France on the Saturday no?

I just meant I feel if there's going to be the Pyramid Size headliners on the other that Emily as alluded to it'll be Saturday and Sunday.

So it would be either Friday or Sunday, Friday would be an horrendous clash for me. Sunday would be a better fit all round and equal a better crowd split. 

Clever you Max

2 hours ago, fatyeti24 said:

I like how the S in Strokes links to the Arctic Monkeys discography.  An ITK clue if ever there was one.

Who knows ;) nah just an accident i was just on the strokes sub reddit and someone said the strokes were the most popular 00s band still around so i helped them out.

2 hours ago, mufcok said:

The opening three tracks of First Impressions, phenomenal 

Agreed - the whole album is awesome though I think their first three are all so solid

I do love how The Strokes headlining the Other or even subbing the Pyramid is a ludicrous suggestion yet somehow the festival have not only convinced bloody Aerosmith to play a non-headline slot but also play 3rd/4th down it seems. If they can do that then nobody really can be definitively ruled out. 

Also how many acts have been asked about Glastonbury or other festivals and gone 'yup, I admit it, we're playing' rather than give a brush off answer or otherwise. Pretty sure the quote didn't explicitly rule out playing a festival but instead alluded to doing their own thing. Which is just par for the course really.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, FloorFiller said:

IMO the only smidgen of hope connecting The Strokes to Glastonbury is Grimey saying he’d heard they were headlining last year, which may well have just been crossed wires and he heard the wrong year/assumed headlining the whole thing. This is probably the first year it’s in any way seemed likely due to Emily’s comment, the occasion and now the convenient tour dates (well... if they play two nights on the run). Not expecting it myself, but reluctant to rule it out like I usually would as well.

ce67f6bc4d933f99dfc2feb97099cf23.jpg

• Upvote 4

6 hours ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

I must admit I just don’t feel their stock has dropped so much they don’t headline Pyramid either. Would have to go down as one of the best Other bookings in history? 

They’re the biggest they’ve been since Room on Fire imo. I think people are just willing their stock to go down so they can play a non-headline slot.

6 hours ago, stuie said:

They'd been away for a couple of years up until last summer.    There is literally no evidence that confirms that they wouldn't take Other headliner this year to raise their UK stock again.

Are you ever wrong?

Reminder of that time when Matt was telling everyone that was reading that Coldplay were the secret Other Stage openers as he had it on good authority that they were staying in a nearby hotel.

Cue my german mates, massive Coldplay fans, practically in tears at the Other Stage on the Friday morning. And that was just because they were having to put up with the Kaiser Chiefs!

1 hour ago, Badlands said:

Reminder of that time when Matt was telling everyone that was reading that Coldplay were the secret Other Stage openers as he had it on good authority that they were staying in a nearby hotel.

Cue my german mates, massive Coldplay fans, practically in tears at the Other Stage on the Friday morning. And that was just because they were having to put up with the Kaiser Chiefs!

Lololol 😂

7 hours ago, shuttlep said:

I love Elbow , but I love them more on a Saturday afternoon Pyramid slot 

Their park set a few years ago was wonderful, nice atmosphere before due to it being a secret set ( I was the only one around me that had heard it was them) and they were fantastic.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, dentalplan said:

They’re the biggest they’ve been since Room on Fire imo. I think people are just willing their stock to go down so they can play a non-headline slot.

I tend to agree but just playing Devil’s Advocate for a sec... CATQ and Tame Impala have both headlined the Other and APE in the last year. Is APE a good indicator of Other size?

13 minutes ago, Hugh Jass said:

I tend to agree but just playing Devil’s Advocate for a sec... CATQ and Tame Impala have both headlined the Other and APE in the last year. Is APE a good indicator of Other size?

No, not really. There are six acts headlining; I don't think it's reasonable to think that every act playing must be on a level because they're headlining the same festival - and I'd probably extend that to any festival. But even to those who do think that, what does it say that The Strokes sold it out a couple of months before, while last year's Other Stage headliners Christine and the Queens seemed to pull in terrible sales?

Edited by dentalplan

3 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

No, not really. There's six acts headlining; I don't think it's reasonable to think that every act playing must be on a level because they're headlining the same festival - and I'd probably extend that to any festival. But even to those who do think that, what does it say that The Strokes sold it out a couple of months before, while last year's Other Stage headliners Christine and the Queens seemed to pull in terrible sales?

I don’t think it’s a terrible yardstick. Obviously some shows sell better than others but there have been a number of acts over the last two years of APE who have either headlined the Other - CATQ, LCD, Tame Impala, Chems... or wouldn’t look out of place doing so - Cave, The National, Bjork, The Xx....

Looks a fair indicator to me.

Just now, Hugh Jass said:

I don’t think it’s a terrible yardstick. Obviously some shows sell better than others but there have been a number of acts over the last two years of APE who have either headlined the Other - CATQ, LCD, Tame Impala, Chems... or wouldn’t look out of place doing so - Cave, The National, Bjork, The Xx....

Looks a fair indicator to me.

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Like, yeah a lot of acts deemed big enough to headline APE would have to be about Other Stage headline size but that doesn't mean it can't pick acts off a higher shelf. Or a lower one, considering BMTH played about 3pm on the Other Stage at Glastonbury.

18 minutes ago, dentalplan said:

Correlation doesn't equal causation. Like, yeah a lot of acts deemed big enough to headline APE would have to be about Other Stage headline size but that doesn't mean it can't pick acts off a higher shelf. Or a lower one, considering BMTH played about 3pm on the Other Stage at Glastonbury.

Although Emily has claimed that they've picked acts off a higher shelf for the Other Stage headliners this year soo...*

* Still don't think it is gonna be them. Just sayin'.

2 minutes ago, FloorFiller said:

Although Emily has claimed that they've picked acts off a higher shelf for the Other Stage headliners this year soo...*

* Still don't think it is gonna be them. Just sayin'.

Blondie are doing a festival in the states in May, are they still big enough? I'd see them in a heartbeat!

2 minutes ago, utwothefly said:

A lot of love for the strokes here, saw them way back and they are the worst band I’ve ever seen live. Like most of you I’ve seen over 200 bands and artists and they were really disappointing. Anyway I’d give them a second go... 

Saw them at Primavera in 2015 and agree that they were shite. Unfortunately they're playing there yet again this year and so I'm having to give them a second shot against my own will. Would be happy if they were booked for Glastonbury as it'd be one less clash I'd have to worry about.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, utwothefly said:

A lot of love for the strokes here, saw them way back and they are the worst band I’ve ever seen live. Like most of you I’ve seen over 200 bands and artists and they were really disappointing. Anyway I’d give them a second go... 

Currently listening to them and forgot how good some of the tracks actually are, seeing them at Prima this year so hoping they put on a performance, I've heard they're hit and miss!