2020 headliners

jj200

9 hours ago, incident said:

Most likely, Festivals generally. And even if the person answering the question was trying to infer Glastonbury specifically, why would a member of The Strokes think of it that way? It's not a festival they've played before, or shown any interest in. To them, a muddy English field is more likely to invoke memories of Leeds or Reading.

Well... I’ll await the news of them headlining Reading on the Friday night 

I’l say it again for those who are confused.

Yes the Strokes stock has dropped.

Yes they aren’t really a UK festival headliner.

But they don’t accept anything below headline slot and they only accept their full fee.

Yes they are too small to headline Glastonbury.

But they won’t accept anything lower than headline. Which is why most of their festival dates are now mid-sized / larger festivals with four or five dates.

So yes they are touring around Glastonbury but I highly doubt they are going to be there. Especially playing below headline. It’s a catch 22 that Glasto unfortunately falls a bit foul of.

Edited by Matt42
  • Downvote 8

Nobody is confused, you've just listed all that like it's fact rather than opinion

For me personally they're one of my all time favourite bands and have a huge collection of stupidly good songs. Also a new record on the way. If they headlined the Pyramid, I'd be buzzing and wouldn't bat an eyelid. 

Edited by mufcok

6 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Every single year the strokes tour Europe around Glastonbury and we have the same conversations every year.

Yes, but there's an another factor this year with Emily's "Pyramid size" comments which would describe the booking perfectly, so the conversation is different this time around, albeit marginally. Does it actually make if more likely? Are they realistically going to be one of the Other headliners? The answer to both questions is it remains unlikely but I don't think that justifies stifling discussion on the topic. 

10 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

But they don’t accept anything below headline slot and they only accept their full fee.

But they won’t accept anything lower than headline. Which is why most of their festival dates are now mid-sized / larger festivals with four or five dates.

So yes they are touring around Glastonbury but I highly doubt they are going to be there. Especially playing below headline. It’s a catch 22 that Glasto unfortunately falls a bit foul of.

If they did a tour of the U.K they’d play Arenas surely? 

How do you know maybe 2 of the lads from the strokes want to do Glastonbury and 3 are saying not unless we get our full money?

Maybe they’ve been approached a few times and held out for the coin.

Maybe they’ve decided their stock has dropped a bit and they’d probably do it now.

It’s ridiculous to completely rule out a band playing Glastonbury when you haven’t sat in on the negations (if there has been any) and you aren’t in the band.

Maybe they’ve just decided it’ll be a fucking laugh. You just don’t know. 

I’ll say it again for those who are confused.

Yes Elbow’s stock has dropped.

Yes they aren’t really a Pyramid sub.

But they have such a well established history with the festival and have played that slot on more than one occasion.

Yes they have played other slots at Glastonbury.

But they seem a good bet to sub the Pyramid this year.

So yes they are touring around Glastonbury but I highly doubt they will play any slot other than Pyramid sub. Especially playing mid Other. It’s a catch 22 that Glastonbury unfortunately falls a bit foul of.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Patronising much?

Whilst they haven't accepted below headline slot before, it could happen now.  You don't know what you state as fact.

Comeback tour, new album, Glasto 50th with massive UK TV and media coverage.   People aren't confused for discussing it as a possibility.

Just now, stuie said:

Patronising much?

Whilst they haven't accepted below headline slot before, it could happen now.  You don't know what you state as fact.

Comeback tour, new album, Glasto 50th with massive UK TV and media coverage.   People aren't confused for discussing it as a possibility.

Those “confused” are those who don’t understand why a band arguably other stage headliner sized in the UK probably won’t accept an other stage headline slot in the UK.

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Those “confused” are those who don’t understand why a band arguably other stage headliner sized in the UK probably won’t accept an other stage headline slot in the UK.

Tbf you don't know this, you're just guessing like those who are guessing they might have stepped back from their historic demands to make it tie in with what Emily was saying about Pyramid sized other stage headliners 

It's by no means ridiculous to suggest, especially when the counter argument is riddled with as much guesswork

• Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Image result for thank you oh wise one"

• Upvote 6

2 minutes ago, fraybentos1 said:

They subbed the second stage at T back in 2011. Just saying...

And I bet you T paid them their full fee.

4 minutes ago, Mezhyp1 said:

Tbf you don't know this, you're just guessing like those who are guessing they might have stepped back from their historic demands to make it tie in with what Emily was saying about Pyramid sized other stage headliners 

It's by no means ridiculous to suggest, especially when the counter argument is riddled with as much guesswork

Dental plan said the exact same thing the other day. I can find the post. Didn’t receive backlash like this.

Its not speculation it’s a widely reported fact that they are an expensive booking. Of course whenever I say something assertive I have to provide more evidence than other users.

• Like 1