2020 headliners

jj200

They're not 'everywhere' by any stretch, and I still think the combo with them and Macca is what makes it special. Plus the rest of the line-up.

It's special.

It looks like of the 3 BST shows already on sale Pearl Jam is the one that has already sold out... And people still think they're not big enough to headline Glastonbury...

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Matt42 said:

Exactly this!

I think you’re looking at this the wrong way.

Kendrick and Taylor are two acts that could easily decline a Glastonbury offer because it doesn’t pay enough. if a relationship exists between Glasto and BST to make Glastonbury more economically feasible for major international artists I’m entirely for it.

Yep, that could only be a good thing for booking future headliners.

Nowadays "exclusive" bookings are probably more likely for lower level headliners. They could easily book, say, Biffy Clyro as a UK exclusive...

Acts like Taylor Swift will never do Glastonbury as a one off - doesn't make sense for them.

1 minute ago, maelzoid said:

It looks like of the 3 BST shows already on sale Pearl Jam is the one that has already sold out... And people still think they're not big enough to headline Glastonbury...

....but that's just silly people. 

Looks like no Pyramid headliners for me this year then but it sounds like several folk on here are happy with the trio. 

I'll just be happy to be there, volunteering again by the looks of it

1 minute ago, 1986 said:

Now speculation is all but dead.

Any predictions on guests? If Kendrick brings out Dre for Compton it would make my weekend. 

Can’t see Dre coming out with Kendrick at Glastonbury myself. He’s probably a bit busy, hopefully as rumoured working with 3 stacks on an album.

2 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

Has Dre ever played the farm?

1 minute ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

Can’t see Dre coming out with Kendrick at Glastonbury myself. He’s probably a bit busy, hopefully as rumoured working with 3 stacks on an album.

Don't think he has played before and probably never will but if an event was ever "special" enough it could be this one. 

I think Kendrick won’t bring out any guests. It’s usually only for stuff like Coachella guests are likely as they all live down the road.

A solo Kenny set would be fine for me. I just hope we get a full show and it’s not just a phoned in performance.

I’m now getting really really excited for new Kendrick music. I feel there’s something really exciting coming. Every release since Good Kid Mad City has been such an event. The build up to TPAB and Damn was excellent. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Don't think he has played before and probably never will but if an event was ever "special" enough it could be this one. 

It’s not special to Dre though is it? Don’t become a billionaire getting excited about a guest performance at Glastonbury for what to him would be shite money. 

6 minutes ago, maelzoid said:

They're not 'everywhere' by any stretch, and I still think the combo with them and Macca is what makes it special. Plus the rest of the line-up.

It's special.

I do think Pearl Jam could headline Glastonbury, but those BST tickets flying off the shelves isn't that indicative for Glastonbury.

They have very passionate fans who will sell out those shows every time, but out of 135,000 Glastonbury ticket holders, who bought tickets before any headliners were announced, how many would be able to name more than 1 PJ tune?

1 minute ago, Matt42 said:

I think Kendrick won’t bring out any guests. It’s usually only for stuff like Coachella guests are likely as they all live down the road.

A solo Kenny set would be fine for me. I just hope we get a full show and it’s not just a phoned in performance.

I’m now getting really really excited for new Kendrick music. I feel there’s something really exciting coming. Every release since Good Kid Mad City has been such an event. The build up to TPAB and Damn was excellent. 

Agreed, though I do want a band backing him up. Not a Kanye esque 1 man show that runs out of steam after about 20 minutes. 

Just now, Tommy Dickfingers said:

It’s not special to Dre though is it? Don’t become a billionaire getting excited about a guest performance at Glastonbury for what to him would be shite money. 

I think the only festival or whatever that Dre has played is Coachella.

25 minutes ago, Peter North said:

There's nothing unique or special about having Kendrick and TS playing though, is there? They're playing everywhere. Festivals everywhere.

Dont get me wrong, they're huge artists and I adore Kendrick, but it's nothing hugely special?

Festivals that tie in top acts as festival exclusives blow all of their budget on them.

If Glastonbury paid enough for Taylor Swift to be their exclusive, they would literally have no budget for say West Holts or the South East Corner!

If playing BST makes it economically possible, where's the problem?

Without wishing to sound like Theresa May - there is no magic money tree.   You have to choose:

- Higher ticket prices
- Lower tier headliners
- Headliners playing other gigs in UK/Europe
- Less budget for other areas
- Less money for the charities

5 minutes ago, 1986 said:

Given he was happy to pop up at Paak's free gig in Brixton the other year, I'd say it's possible. Extremely unlikely still but possible, he does as he pleases, so if he thought it'd be fun he'd do it. Chances are he won't bother.

6 minutes ago, Tommy Dickfingers said:

No I doubt Dre gives a hoot and probably votes Republican but if Kendrick asked him due to his personal stance or connection there might be a glimmer. 

I doubt he'd get paid at all if its a one song appearance but I dunno how these things work.

Edited by 1986

Kendrick probably thinks Glasto is an awesome gig but I can’t see him being that into it that he would ask Dre to guest with him.

He’d do it for a major US fest like Coachella but not Glastonbury. 

I don’t think there will be any guests. It’s rare that Glasto headliners do bring out guests. Beyonce didn’t even get Jay Z out and Jay Z was there!

Dre is a massive music fan and has never been to Glasto AFAIK. This is the first time one of his proteges has headlined so I wouldn't completely rule it out. If he has some Apple Music, Beats or something else he's doing himself to promote in Europe this summer, he might actually want to do it. I'm sure he's well aware of the significance of the festival.