2020 headliners

jj200

2 minutes ago, balti-pie said:

I’m not really often in here, cos headliners/meh etc etc, but I’d just like it on record that I think RHCP are a bag of bollocks and even getting Harry Kane, Skeletor and Dave Lombardo in the band wouldn’t make them a must-see. 

hi @Quark ? love you! 

Still deciding what to do with these FNM tickets I've managed to get hold of... :D

I've no massive allegiance to the Chilis. Very much love BSSM and Californication, and By The Way has some lovely stuff on it. Their stuff from Stadium onwards...no thanks. But they do seem to be very polarising, which is always entertaining to watch :)

• Upvote 1

I have never seen the RHCP live, but I always thought they were a pretty well respected band, when growing up. 

This forum is the only place I have heard negative things about them.

Not really my type of music but they have a load of radio friendly hits to play. They are not someone I would pay to see at their own gig, but would definitely watch them if they were on at a festival.

6 minutes ago, eastynh said:

I have never seen the RHCP live, but I always thought they were a pretty well respected band, when growing up. 

This forum is the only place I have heard negative things about them.

they were well respected, but at around the same time as they'd over-exposed themselves by playing UK festivals too often they put in a stinker at Reading fest - so essentially it's from that.

They've always been massively polarising amongst music fans. You tend to not find anyone who doesn't like them, there's hatred, those that like singing along to the hits, and the die-hard fans. It's funny, I know plenty of people who absolutely despise them and really don't see how they're so popular. 

But regarding John Frusciante, it's a massive deal that he's back. He's a fantastic musician; amazing guitarist and talented singer, and it's not a coincidence that the band has been the most successful when he's been part of the songwriting process. This is the guy who wrote Under the Bridge - you can hate the band but that song is a beautifully melodic guitar progression. 

What's funny is that most people who would watch them at a festival wouldn't even know who John Frusciante is. 

So many boring dad rock boomers moaning about Taylor Swift being "too manufactured" to headline Glastonbury, despite writing or co-writing all of her own songs and playing guitar and piano.

They seem to be the same people frothing at the mouth at Liam Gallagher headlining Reading/Leeds. A man who can't play any instruments and brought in One Direction's producer and songwriter for his last two solo albums

Just popping in mid holiday to say a Beatle, the queen of Motown and the artist of the decade is a frankly insane trio of announcements to start with, and there's probably still Kenny and Aerosmith to come! They've (to use the parlance of my current location) knocked it out the park. Y'all.

50th is going to be the best yet!

• Like 1

I’ve saw Chili’s twice, Etihad (City of Manchester stadium it was called at the time) 2004. James Brown supported them which completely overshadowed the Chili Peppers, they were still good though, delivered. 

Saw them again Manchester Arena 2006, this time they were supported by The Mars Volta, they were good, Chilis not so. 

Edited by lukethekid

10 minutes ago, jparx said:

Just popping in mid holiday to say a Beatle, the queen of Motown and the artist of the decade is a frankly insane trio of announcements to start with, and there's probably still Kenny and Aerosmith to come! They've (to use the parlance of my current location) knocked it out the park. Y'all.

50th is going to be the best yet!

It is something that we don't hate to see.  Already miles better than this year and that was still the tits.

With all the Chili's live talk I thought I'd get in on the act as I've seen them be great and terrible. 

V Festival - 2003 - Very good - By the way era
Earls Court - 2006 - Terrible & didn't even play under the bridge. It probably didn't help that SA was awful
Reading Festival - 2006 - Terrible - Even worse than Earls Court
Rock Werchter - 2016 - Good/Okay - Good setlist and were okay live but nothing special

4 minutes ago, foolee said:

With all the Chili's live talk I thought I'd get in on the act as I've seen them be great and terrible. 

Earls Court - 2006 - Terrible & didn't even play under the bridge. It probably didn't help that SA was awful
Rock Werchter - 2016 - Good/Okay - Good setlist and were okay live but nothing special

Seems to be that if you catch them early on in their touring schedule then they're good. If you catch them towards the end of it though, it's bad. Frusciante has famously blamed his exits from the band on having to play the same songs every gig and becoming bored. There will be a honeymoon period now that he's fresh and rejoined, then maybe enthusiasm with a new record but he'll probably feel the same way in 2022. 

But I fully believe that this is the final formation of the RHCP. If John quits again, I think the band will retire.

34 minutes ago, lukethekid said:

this time they were supported by The Mars Volta, they were good, Chilis not so. 

That's an insane choice of support act.  I love it but I can't wrap my head around it.  

If they were to play, I'm not sure that I would see them.  I'm not a fan of much that they've done in the last decade or so and I'd rather not spend my time at Glastonbury watching a band phone it in - though with John returning, that might not be the case.

Though could they be the pyramid sized Other headliner?  

15 minutes ago, Kinkyinuit said:

Though could they be the pyramid sized Other headliner?  

Got to be - it's a nice compromise after Michael swearing he wouldn't have them back after their no-show - he puts them on the Other Stage as a slight rebuke, but they can still claim to be 'Pyramid Size' headliners

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, foolee said:

When they played Leeds i said to my mates  "If they come on and start with a Jazz Fusion Jamming Number I am off ! "

They did and i was told later the first track was 10  minutes of Jazz Fusion drivel.

Apparently Melvin Benn was not impressed and said they were appalling , but they had turned up , played their set so got their money.

I am sure Leeds was the last gig of a long tour and they were flying home the following day and just could not be a***d 

1 minute ago, Tuna said:

Diana Ross is going to get a mammoth crowd. Also as if she doesn't have novelty appeal ffs

Thankfully, we no longer use potatoes to film sporting events.

I think Diana has the potential to have a crowd as big as Kylie, depending on who she's up against.

4 hours ago, foolee said:

Similar for me: V festival 2003 was great and Leeds 2006 was abominable, self indulgent noodling